Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix to La Plagne driving route

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could someone recommended the best driving route from Chamonix to La Plagne, plan drive first week February, It looks quite straight forward on the map, but not sure how weather dependent it might be.???
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. the first route which google maps comes up with is through the Gorge d'Arly to Ugine and Albertville. The road through the gorge is tricksy - has loads of landslides, I think it's closed at the moment - some big slides were being cleared a few weeks ago. The alternative motorway route is more reliable but far longer and much more boring and expensive. I'd go through the Gorge d'Arly if it's open, but it can close at short notice.

Don't be tempted, if it's closed, to head over the Cormet de Roselend from Beaufort - that is always closed all winter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As pam w says, Saint Gervais - Megeve - Flumet - Gorge d'Arly - Ugine - Albertville - Moutiers - Aime - La Plagne would be my suggested route, but as above the road can be shut at short notice.

It doesn't seem to close due to snow very often, usually because of landslides, which shouldn't be an issue in February.

It was closed when I drove over from Cham to Bourg Saint Maurice last week - there was a diversion in place, which wasn't too bad.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thunderer, ...does depend whether you will be on summer tyres and on time of day. I have driven through there late at night and it gets VERY icy, on summer tyres in feb it could be lethal at night. If snowing it's doubtful it would be cleared until 4-6am. The road through Ugine is very slow and last time I drove (winter before last) had the potholes from hell on it.

Daytime in sun, with no snow on the road or forecast, on summer tyres = possible.
Night-time in poor weather - need winter tyres and will be slow.

I've driven the route a number of times and always in a winterised car on winter tyres. And I would still go round on the motorway if doing it late at night (I've driven it at 10pm and later in Feb and been the only car moving on the entire route, bad if you have any kind of incident).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your help, it will be a Swiss hire car so will have winter tyres, but it will be in the dark, so for good weather only I think
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

it will be a Swiss hire car so will have winter tyres

Hmm. We had to buy two new winter tyres for a Swiss hire car (Europcar) last winter after a blowout. Apart from being exceptionally inconvenient (stupid glue instead of a spare tyre) the unpunctured tyre which came off, which we kept, only had 4mm tread. So don't rely on your tyres being great. Yes, in the dark, when you can't even appreciate the Val D'Arly route, the motorway is probably a good idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had some guests staying in my place in Bourg St Maurice driving from Chamonix. They had no clue, done no research, so just followed their satnav.

Satnav took them up the Roselend route. I don't know how far they got before they realised their mistake, and had to turn round.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A regular mistake for sat nav users is to try and go from Geneva airport to La Rosiere via the Mont Blanc tunnel and Petit st Bernard Col!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Idris wrote:
A regular mistake for sat nav users is to try and go from Geneva airport to La Rosiere via the Mont Blanc tunnel and Petit st Bernard Col!

an expensive and long re-route with crap pizza for dinner at the tunnel cafe I imagine Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some have a very long expensive day.
Having driven the airport transfer that picked them up after they had given up and returned their rental car!

eddie, the Pizza at the tunnel ain't bad compared to roadside options outside Italy and they do a dammed good cup of coffee.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
update - Gorge d'Arly road still closed, now due to open 18 December.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy