Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family ski trip! where shall I start???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
NickyJ.... Xmas or Feb school holidays?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christmas is better than Half Term (unless you have a different week than the 15th / 16th for your area). However school holidays it ramps up massively. I have been meaning to call them but my rough back of the metaphorical fag packet calculation is it is going to be a bit over 4K for their cheapest place that is with 2 children, childcare and lessons for the girls.

If you can take your kids out of school to go the week before or after christmas hols it will make a massive difference.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. As far as I'm aware schools aren't allowing kids time off anymore.... I've heard they fine you for each day.

You'd be looking at £5k with some spends then.

Hmmm, think Disney is gonna have to go ahead in the priority list. Luckily we get away each year to Spain where my mum lives 2 hours from Sierra Nevada so we get some skiing in with the kids there. Dirt cheap flights in Feb too
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mikethemanc, yep but reality is you are highly unlikely to be fined if we are talking a single week and your children have otherwise very good attendance. You will simply take your children out as "Unauthorised" Even if you are the price savings mean that paying the fine is well worth it in financial sense. However saying all that I am looking to not take my daughters out of school next year, but I have twice before (admittedly before the rules changed).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 6-01-14 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I suppose it's worth the fine. We are taking ours out for 2 days in March which we did last year so will be interesting to see what the head teacher says this year. I don't want to teach my kids to lie, so not like we can say they are ill or anything.

They get much more benefit from a ski trip than they will in school
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Huge variation ref Esprit prices. Depends where and when.... very good product though
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would endorse Puy St Vincent, La Rosiere whilst adding Les Deux Alpes and Saas Fee to the list from above. Paradiski Area (Les Arcs, La Plagne) and the Three Valleys are also remarkably convenient for skiing - and convenience goes a long way on a family ski holiday!

Ref Esprit - costs vary hugely, dependant on where and when! We have offers out there with a base price of £600, whilst as a ball park, you are looking at about £200 for each of morning lessons and afternoon snowclub. But, yep, huge variation across the board and one really can't generalise! Best to ask the question!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

first family ski trip. We are aiming for the first week in jan after the new year in 2015. Our kids will be 8 and 6 then. My husband and I used to ski lots but havent done since having kids.

Purely personal views which may well divide opinion. The week you're planning to go usually has lots of spare capacity, heavily discounted. Amongst the most important factors to me are snow and weather conditions in any particular area and week. I'd book as late as possible, once I could see the whites-of-their-snow conditions and had a rough idea of the weather forecast. We've booked many family ski holidays, often at busier times of the season, less than one week before departure (including Christmas week just gone). Never had a problem with availability and usually a much better deal than booking way in advance. Obvious exceptions are New Year, February half term and peak Easter week. Also the prospect of driving that far in midwinter with 2 young children in the back would fill me with horror. I've done it several times but never again. Don't underestimate the benefits and value of package deals, especially those with some help towards keeping young children organised. If driving really is your thing then the closer areas mentioned by other snowheads, such as Les Gets, Les Carroz and Flaine, would be good.
However, as a dry slope instructor for 10 years, you're clearly tougher and better at handling stress than me! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy