Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for a light skier with a narrow foot?

Poster: A snowHead
After agony with rentals, I am taking the plunge and getting a pair of ski boots.

I have tried boots in both Elis Brigham and Snow + Rock; I have yet to find a well fitting pair of boots.

My natural flex is 80, and 90 in certain boots; I am light(67kg) for my height(6ft1).

Narrow feet with a last width of 98(This is the main issue, I have too much room in a 100, my foot can move about a cm either side)

I really have 2 questions: Does any company cater to narrow fit with a softer 80-90 flex?

Are there any 100 flex boots where the flex can we softened?

Boots Tested:
Salomon X Pro 80: Good Flex, Too much room in side of the
Salomon X Max 100: I am too light to flex this boot naturally, Great Fitting.
Atomic Hawx 90: ok Flex, Too much room in toebox

Additional Info:
I ski predominantly Red Runs
I live in the UK

Many Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what about the lange RX100 LV (97mm last) and remove one of the flex bolts and take it back to 90 (or both bolts to drop it by 20%... normally i would suggest if you like it with that much flex that you have someone cut the shell and replace the bolts)

or a dalbello KR2 fusion 90-120 flex depending on the set up ( bit more expensive than the lange)

what do you mean by "your natural flex" who has told you this (i can think of one person who would quote like this)

for someone who skis red runs even at 67kg with your height and skill level i would think you could bend most 100 flex boots without too much problem.... remember that at 20 degrees C the boot will bend easily, but when cold it will get stiffer BUT you have speed and momentum on your side
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flyingsquirrel, 1st of all, you're doing the right thing taking that plunge.

Speaking as a fellow punter with similar stats, 'dainty' feet and skinny shins Embarassed I was gonna say Salomon and Lange.

I ski hard on piste but/and like a lot of flex - helps feel the ankles contributing to what the skis are doing...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
what about the lange RX100 lv 97mm last) and remove one of the flex bolts and take it back to 90 (or both bolts to drop it by 20%... normally i would suggest if you like it with that much flex that you have someone cut the shell and replace the bolts)

or a dalbello KR2 fusion 90-120 flex depending on the set up ( bit more expensive than the lange)

what do you mean by "your natural flex" who has told you this (i can think of one person who would quote like this)

for someone who skis red runs even at 67kg with your height and skill level i would think you could bend most 100 flex boots without too much problem.... remember that at 20 degrees C the boot will bend easily, but when cold it will get stiffer BUT you have speed and momentum on your side

The Lange Rx100 looks like an amazing option.

Snow + Rock and Elis Brigham are like PC World they have the stock but know little about it. Both stores have that boot.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flyingsquirrel, uk where?

Near enough to Bicester, go see CEM in person...

S&R and EB sometimes have staff who know what they are talking about, but rarely, IME.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sound's like you're in a similar boat to me - I'm just over 6ft as well but light. I bought a pair of Salomon Impact 100CS last year for my second week skiing, and EB in Milton Keynes did a grand job fitting them for me. I got a bit lucky with stock/price/last seasons lines but the chap in EB found a couple of pairs that fit my funny shape feet really nicely.

I'd say that from my (one) experience there should be something, somewhere, in a large range, at a big shop that will fit your feet, just gotta have the right person fitting them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flyingsquirrel, make sure it is the LV model (low volume) there is also an RX100 which is a 100mm last, they look identical other than a small decal (and about 3mm width)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For skinny heels & calves I second Red27 and say LANGE!!

I had trouble with skinny feet for years (to the extent that I was the only little girl wearing black shoes on my Holy Communion day because the shops didn't have white shoes in my size, lol!!).I was using heel lifts and all sorts in my boots until I found Lange- and I LOVE their boots now! 100% converted Happy

I'm 55kg, 5"4' and mine are 110 flex. I ski hard but I'm short and light and I've no problem with the flex, I think they also come in 80/90. I'm not sure of the model & they're in Austria at the mo but I could get OH to check & let you know later?

I'm an advocate of buying in the resort- at least then you can go back to the fitter for adjustments & advice instead of having to put up with it till you get home. just my tuppenceworth! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh have just seen CEM's post- yes I think that's the model I have- can't recommend highly enough!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In our neck of the Woods, the Lange/Rossi Boots are pretty damn high volume, certainly not one we reach for to help LV Narrow feet, despite Lange's published info.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you tried Fischer boots? they suit narrow feet - I have Fischer progressors, and narrow feet, and i had to get the toe boxes blown twice to get to a comfortable size.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All the modifeied WC lasts should be available in a flex that works. The Lange/Rossi is the furthest away from such.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Be that as it may- they are the ONLY ones that have fitted me on the heel- but i had the benefit of a great boot fitter! He did some nice tailoring around the heel and ankles for me, so I've a lovely snug fit. Shop is at the bottom of the mountain too, so any hassles I just drop in on my way home. I can't believe the difference it makes to feel anchored in my boots- up until I discovered Lange I felt like I was doing a weird free-heel skiing/telemarking hybrid in my boots lol wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
based on the supplied information of what you had tried the lange is one to be considered, BUT as CH2O points out there are other options, lots of race boots in 90/100 flexes which could work, the key is finding somewhere with more than one option to try and a fitter who can adjust them

nobody on here can see your feet so it does come down to being in front of a fitter
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I say 'I discovered Lange', I mean I had tried other boots from other fitters, but my current fitter immediately set me right. I can't give all the credit to the boot- it was the fitter really made the difference Wink
ski holidays
I purchased the Lange RX100 LV, the fit was near perfect and the adjustable bolts work a treat, looking forward to taking them out on the slopes in St. Anton.
ski holidays
Yay!! They are great boots- and nice looking too! Wink Hope you love yours as much as I love mine!! Smile
ski holidays
Hi, Can I hijack this thread as I too have very narrow feet (AA width fit), and narrower ankles and skinny calves. Finding boots is a bit tricky!! I am after a replacement for a 2011 model Fischer 'Mystyle' 90, customised by someone or other over the years, with this sticky bit of foam around the heels to keep my heels in place! I am 168cm tall and weigh 56kg. In an ideal world, I am after something that can do everything that the mountain can throw at the boots, as I don't EVER want to have to hire ski touring boots (this is what I would like to do some more of), after having an horrendous ankle injury using hired boots. The whole of my foot twisted inside the boot when I tried to turn in a patch of soft snow. I know nothing about flex at all!! Any ideas gratefully received!!
latest report
gaschick wrote:
Hi, Can I hijack this thread as I too have very narrow feet (AA width fit), and narrower ankles and skinny calves. Finding boots is a bit tricky!! I am after a replacement for a 2011 model Fischer 'Mystyle' 90, customised by someone or other over the years, with this sticky bit of foam around the heels to keep my heels in place! I am 168cm tall and weigh 56kg. In an ideal world, I am after something that can do everything that the mountain can throw at the boots, as I don't EVER want to have to hire ski touring boots (this is what I would like to do some more of), after having an horrendous ankle injury using hired boots. The whole of my foot twisted inside the boot when I tried to turn in a patch of soft snow. I know nothing about flex at all!! Any ideas gratefully received!!

FWIW. Don't worry about "Which Boots"; worry about "Which Bootfitter".

If you say where you live, you will probably get a recommendation. Your other option is to buy in resort - again, if you say where you will be going, you should also get recommendations.
latest report
Atomic Hawx Ultra are reckoned to be good for narrow feet (do male & female versions, various flexes). They also do XTD, which are touring orientated. Might be worth a look - but nothing beats a good fitter who has a large stock, knows the market and can select and adapt the right boot for you. (This includes professionally placed sticky foam and tape - that hasn't changed in the 5-6 years since this thread started wink )
snow report
gaschick wrote:

Mrs Oceanic has very narrow feet (although her calves are more average than skinny). She had a real struggle to find suitable boots.

For alpine skiing she uses Atomic Redster WCs with a Palau 10mm overlap liner to fill up volume.

For touring she uses the original (white) Dynafit TLT6s Womens boot with the Dynafit CR liners that they were sold with. Unfortunately the later models were wider than the original white version. Her Dynafits have more room in them than her Redsters, but they are okay for touring.

Both the Redsters and original TLT6s are substantially narrower than the Atomic Hawx Ultras and Atomic Hawx Ultra XTDs that I use.
snow report
@gaschick, It would be worth your while to make the trek to Bicester to see CEM to get a proper fitting. It would be best to make an appointment before you go.
snow report
@gaschick,

Unfortunately it is not economically viable for the manufacturers to make touring boots (or do everything touring / alpine boots) for people with truly narrow feet, I'm not aware of a boot with a walk mode (that is presently manufactured) that would fit a very narrow foot.

If your feet really are that narrow (like my wife's feet are), some possible solutions...

Get hold of some original Dynafit TLT6s second hand or New Old Stock. The mens version were green, the women's white. You'll need the thicker CR liner or a thick after market liner from Intuition or similar. These are a proper touring boot, soft, flexy and only working with pin tech bindings.

You might have to settle for a well fitting race boot (with a 92mm last and a thick after market liner) plus a 97mm / 98mm lasted touring boot that is a bit wide for you, despite having paddling on the liner or an extra thick liner. You should be able to find a boot with a tour mode that fits as well as your present Head boots however.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy