Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Advice - snow chains etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Spyderman, we only chose to drive down to save money! (although I do quite fancy the journey). I'm out of my comfort zone with talk of rims and sidewall profiles.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I had a Merc (horrible RWD with cheap chains) I had a particularly nasty descent and the next year everyone refused to go up the mountain in it Happy We stayed down in the valley on the Friday night and got the bus up in the morning and down the next Saturday, the hotel let us leave the car for free. Worth considering.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
might as well gamble and go with snow socks I think
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CaravanSkier, what size chains do you need?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx, I recently picked up chains for m VW Golf GTD running 225 40 R18's, we are heading over to Les Arcs in a few weeks time for the season. I had the same problem with clearance between the wheel and suspension arm. I ended up buying a pair of Maggi Trak snow chains from the Roof Box Company online for £220. If you shop around you can get ex demo ones. I suppose the other consideration is the alloys, even if I could get chains to fit that weren't the Maggi/Thule type I would be reluctant to use normal chains as they destroy your alloys. Its worth factoring in alloy restoration into the cost too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi I have just had the same issues with clearance and snow chains on a VW Tiguan running 235 55 17's. I have bought some Koenig (now thule) K Summits from Ebay for £249, much less than the £330 advertised price by Thule. The shop was Carracks who used to be the main Koenig importer into the UK. They have arrived and are quite an impressive bit of kit. We also have a set of snow socks which I managed to bag on Ebay for £25 (normally £70) but the resort have highly recommended me to use chains as our ascent into resort is hairpin. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fruity, remember to keep the little device for removing the wheel nut covers as handy as the chains themselves. It is a real pain to have to unload the whole boot and lift the floor to retrieve the little thing. I put it in the glove compartment (which incidentally has never held a glove)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers John. It's in the toolkit bag so I will transfer that to the glove box. That hasn't got gloves in, but does have a torch, mints, packet of tissues and a spare pair of knickers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowsocks??
Spose the nickers could serve as a makeshift fan belt...better put some stockings in there too wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have ordered maggi "the one" chains from tyreleader.co.uk - a lot cheaper than the Roofbox Company.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not just Lidl but most supermarkets in France sell chains. I bought mine in Auchan Dunkerk. Norauto is the French Halfords they have branches at every shopping centre you drive by.

10min spent practicing with the chains on a car park are 10min very wisely spent.

Driving in fluffy snow is pure joy - no noise, no vibration. Driving on ice is stressfull but so is driving rush hour in London.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Not just Lidl but most supermarkets in France sell chains.
true. And they're cheap (but basic). However, they won't always stock all sizes and it could be quite a diversion off your journey to find a supermarket,

If you want to live dangerously you could wait till the last minute and either drive to resort with no chains, or buy if the weather changes and it looks like being snowy. You need to know where you're headed though - some steep drives/approach roads will still have loads of ice on, long after fresh snowfall. But then you are probably stuck with buying expensively in resort if it's snowy when you leave.

Really, it's an expensive holiday. The Maggi "the one" chains, which look fine and a cut above the basics, were around £40 delivered with tyreleader. And I can practice in my own drive. Why stress?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, it is better to be prepared before you turn the ignition key. Back in the time when I bought my chains Halfords did not sell any and the only option in UK were few online retailers with very high prices.

I bought my chains for 15€ instead of 30£ and found a 7€ folding shovel as well. There were range of chains 50 - 90€ and there was a Norauto next door in case Auchan did not have what I need.

Yes I went for the basic chains but they pulled my car out when it was baried under 50cm snow and 4 strong snowboarders could not push it more than a meter. With the chains it did not need any human power.

Based on this experience I would strongly advise against buying chains or socks that require moving the car to put them on. Most cases you realize you need chains when the car is stuck and would not move forward or back.

I make a compulsory stop in French supermarket for warm croissants and some wine for those evenings after a hard day on the slopes. I never go more than a mile off the motorway, but I plan in advance and put the location in my GPS. Normally if you tank up at supermarket the price difference of the fuel will pay for the detour and the croissants... and they are warn out of the bakery, not like the nasty stuff at the motorway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If anyone is looking for a great price on Brand New Thule K Summits look at towbarman01 on e-bay, which is Tow Equipe in Nuneaton Warwickshire.

Just bought a new pair with free delivery for £199, size K23, which will fit my 235 45 17 on my car.

I lost one of a pair last year which I had paid £249 for three years ago, so to get a new pair for £50 less and have a spare one, is a result.

Most places are charging over £300 for the K Summits
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timbobaggins, I think I bought our tow bar from there, they had very good pricing on everything.

allfriends, I can recommend the croissants at the Total garage just off Eurotunnel. Other pastries were also fresh and warm and the coffee good.
snow conditions
Lidl snow chains, some or their excellent -60C screenwash, and they do a great window scraper with an attached mitten Madeye-Smiley
I got my winter tyres (for gods sake put them on, the difference is amazing and they may save your life) from my tyres, no need to pay a fortune and get 75+quid ones, mine were in the region of 40 quid fitted, and have handled two trips to Austria which included a full on blizzard with lying snow, and I got out of the unploughed apartment car park with relative ease. They were a Korean brand - whose name escapes me - they have a lot of snow in Korea so they do know how to make them.
ski holidays
Quote:

their excellent -60C screenwash

ah yes! Useful reminder, thanks.
snow report
Do not disregard a real sub zero screenwash, I did and paid the price. Had to discard the "Severe Cold" rated ASDA screenwash that was labelled as -5C and at -12C it turns to slushy crystals - a real joy to take out of the reservoir using ski pole and tea towel.

Than warmed up the proper -30C rated liquid before pouring it in so it can dilute any ASDA's leftover and flush the system.

It happened at the same place where the chains came in play - a car park with -22C at night and -12C during the day.

Sorry I can't get the picture attachment to work... Puzzled
snow conditions
-12c to -22c temps, best check the engine antifreeze too.
latest report
big davski wrote:
-12c to -22c temps, best check the engine antifreeze too.

And the battery. Mine was old and at -22C went soooo dead that it would not start even with jump leads. Had to by new one and change it with tools I borrowed from nearest ski shop, wasted 2 hours valuable skiing time, but lesson well learned.

This season I plan on investing in solar charger. Short trips to and from the lift parking drain the battery and solar charges might help a bit even in snowy/foggy weather. I just have to find a way to hang it to a side window as the windscreen usually covers with snow...
snow conditions
been trying to call Audi garage today to find out options, but they never got back to me, try again Monday.
Staying night at Albertville, then up to Villaroger in the morning - if push came to shove (so to speak), could we get a bus from Albertville or Bourg to Villa Roger - with all our stuff?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 1-12-13 9:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
simonx, the buses don't seem to stop at Albertville any more - they go through, but not into the bus station any more. And if it's a busy day you need to book the bus, though you might blag your way on if it's not full. If the weather was so bad you couldn't get up the mountain with Snowsocks everything would probably be stuck anyway and it would be a case of waiting for the road to be cleared. Very unlikely to happen.
ski holidays
Sorry... a bit late to this thread.

I used to take our BMW 5 series to the alps (18" wheels in low profile wheel arches). My mate owned the BMW Dealership that I bought it from, and it took ages for him to get a sensible answer from Head Office about snowchains. The only solution that they will countenance is to buy a second set of 16" wheels and put chains on that. The issue is that a standard snowchain is, as the name suggests, a chain. If a link breaks then it will flail around the wheel arch at whatever mph you were doing at the time. With very little clearance in the wheel arch it will cause serious damage to the bodywork. The other consideration is that a standard set of chains will rub against the alloy wheel itself and cause scratching.

I bought a set of Spikes-Spiders. The construction and design mean that even a broken link is not going to cause it to smash up your car, and nothing rubs against the wheel itself. When I sold the BMW, I replaced it with a car with 17" wheels. All I had to do was buy an alternative set of wheel nut adapters and take out a link or two and the Spikes-Spiders now fit that car.

When the snow has been REALLY bad in the UK, I have even put them on to help get up a hill, taking them off again once we were up.

Other subjects I saw in the thread:

- fill up with fuel at the bottom of the mountain. It will have all the additives to cope with sub-zero temperatures which other stations won't have (I have a diesel now).
- Have an old pair of salopettes, jacket and gloves next to your chains in case you need to put them on in a rush. As others have said.. there is a huge build up of crud aroudn the wheels, and you don't want all that oily stuff messing up your best ski-wear!
snow conditions
I saw a letter in the sunday times yesterday from a motorist complaining that his insurance company increased his insurance premiums when he put winter wheels and tyres on his car, apparently something to do with modifications from standard specification (the wheels are narrower). Is this a common problem?
snow report
johnE, I had a long running argument with Churchill who wanted to charge me an extra £80 for doing this - claiming it was a "modification". They wouldn't accept the argument that steel wheels with winter tyres made the car safer and look less desirable rolling eyes

This was 4 years ago and I think most companies are now more clued up - but wouldn't surprise me in the least if some still charged. Change insurer!

Certainly tell your insurer if you are putting winter wheels on though
snow report
Boris, wasn't tthere some advice from the Association of British Insurer's last winter, stating that you shouldn't be charged extra?
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I think that was specifically referring to the use of winter tyres. Changing the wheels too is summat else.
latest report
Hells Bells, indeed it was and link is on here somewhere
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you change the tyres, and are on the SAME RIMS, then it's not a modification - if that was the case they could throw that at you when you change from a set of Good Years,to say, Michelin. Different tyre construction and rubber compounds (so the tyre makers will have us believe anyway). Thats all a winter tyre is, different rubber and a deeper tread.

The potential pitfall is when you change the rim size - your nice fat alloys to skinny steel rims. It is of course easier to do this, you can store the winter tyres and rims yourself, and do it yourself. If you are using the same rims then it's down to the tyre shop. The insurers may argue that with different size rims the cars handling/steering etc has now been altered, the suspension is now effected blah blah blah. It's rubbish, and of course you are safer but it's a way of getting out of the claim. I don't think it would hold up in a court anyway, if it's shown to be common practice in other EU countries then it would be a brave judge that ruled in favour for the insurance compnay.
latest report
simonx, Snowchains do have an exchange service --- so they sometimes have some second-hand chains for sale (which may save you money)......

The road up to Villaroger is quite narrow, and steep in places. I've driven up to Le Pre several times in the snow. You will need chains or socks.

Buy them in the UK --- practise fitting them here. Have a torch handy so you can see what you are doing, and you'll be rolling up hill again 5-10 minutes after stopping.
ski holidays
Hi There,

I wondered if anyone had used these non-chain type snow chains - http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/alloy-wheel-accessories/michelin-easy-grip-snow-chains.html ? I haven't used snow chains before but didn't fancy using conventional chains as have heard that they can scratch alloy wheels? They seem pricier than metal ones, but perhaps worth it if they live up to what they claim?
latest report
SimonJohn78, I think if you are driving regularly in the Alps, you need the best equipment available when you need to use it, and you have to stop being precious about the alloys, there's more to scratch them than snow chains.
ski holidays
That was rather the purpose of the question? If you believe the hype about them, they are as good as metal chains, hence wondering if anyone had first hand experience of them? If I can have chains that perform as well, but are easier to fit and wont knacker my wheels, then clearly that would be the preferable option?
ski holidays
SimonJohn78, I agree these look interesting. Have you done any searches for reviews, or do you know more about them?

P.S. Welcome to snowHead

PPS. Amazon reviews are not positive http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0041H6CI2?tag=amz07b-21

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-12-13 22:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103981
snow report
I did Smile That is how I found this site. There was an old post from 2011 but nobody on that had actually used them. I figured you guys would have experience of chains so thought I was add to this thread ... seems like a good place to start Smile

Thank you Smile
snow conditions
Ordered two pairs of chains for our 4x4 from Tyreleader for just under £100 on the 2 Dec. They were promptly shipped from Germany but DPD tracking claims they have made two failed attempts at delivery because we were out and have left us notes! I have no idea where they went but someone has been in here all the time and we have had no notes!

It may well have been a good price for the chains but they are no use to us sitting in a delivery depot! rolling eyes
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, contact Tyreleader's support via your account online. They respond very promptly.
ski holidays
yes, I found their support response good, too. I am very pleased with my Maggi "the one" chains - easy to use and weren't expensive.
ski holidays
I contated Tyreleader support yesterday evening. Hopefully it will get sorted!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy