Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New board - sizing question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On the lookout for a replacement board.

I currently have a cheap board which has served me very well, but is now battered and bruised and in need of retiring!

The size is 148cm

I'm planning on swapping it for a Raven Explosive or Raven Grid (I think)

I only use the board for riding down pistes. I don't go off piste or do tricks. I'm only using it for two weeks every year. So I think the above is adequate given my very limited funds and usage.

The question is - the sizes I've found so far are 146 or 151.

Is there any reason why one or the other would be better.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowboardVicky, how tall and heavy are you ? . . without that no advice is worth banging a head on a keyboard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry -

5 Foot 5" inches (165cm) and 9.5 stones. (133lb)

I'm happy with the 148 board that I have - I would've replaced it with just the same if they had it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What profile is your old board too, camber or rockered?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah - Not sure about that and it's "nameless" as far as I can tell so I can't look it up online. It was very cheap when I bought it about 10 years ago (I only went into the shop to buy boots!)

I could look tonight when I get home if someone could tell me what to look for.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A 10yo budget board is going to be cambered. Theres a brief guide to camber here on Whitelines
Personally, I don't think that the size of either board would be a problem for you, given your height/weight. Raven don't have too much of a rep; from the other forums, opinion seems to be "They're ok, nothing special, cheap and cheerful, tend to be re-hashes of older designs". Usual advice applies, trial one if you can before you buy, but we all know thats not always possible...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowboardVicky, I agree wit' Richard_Sideways, and fer riding around on-piste, traditional camber will give you the better ride/control.

Look at last year's top makers, mid-range boards for a well made bargain. The top of the line will be very well made but tend to be a bit stiff even the lady specific.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to have no chance of trying before I buy. We're heading out to Canada and I need to take the new board with me. Resort prices are expensive at the moment due to poor exchange rate. It's been a while (more than 7 years) since I saw any really good deals out there (which was when I bought my bindings).

I need to keep the cost (including postage) to under £200.

I'll keep looking, but thanks for answering my question about the size.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you in need of new bindings too, or are you just after the board?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No bindings needed. I have a set of Flows which I love (I know they' aren't everyone's choice, but they suit me). I have no plans to replace them at the moment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's worth trawling around the websites of the indie board shops - like Masque says, last years stock of big name brands will be less than £200. Bit time consuming but you could find something random in a size you like there, especially if you're not fussed about the branding.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're not looking for a package, then theres plenty of sub-£200 boards on places like Absolute Snowboards, SS20, Bliss Snowboards (aka Edge and Wax), etc etc, from well respected brands, so don't just limit yourself to ebay. Plus if you drop a few quid on SH membership or join SCUK, both offer 10% discounts which'll pay for your membership or your postage.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy