Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Short Break..... Austria/Italy/France/Switzerland...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking for advice. A group of us are looking for a short break skiing...... we have done Grand Massif, Chamonix and Portes du Soleil and wanted somewhere different but I have no idea about transfer times and airports other then the above... we do quite like the sound of Austria/Switzerland but unsure which have the least amount of travelling time as not a good traveller in the group!!!
Not a huge budget but medium budget to have a good time!

Thanks for your help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had a good short trip to Courmayeur in April. An easy drive from Geneva through the Mont Blanc tunnel (perhaps another 30 mins max beyond Chamonix), but once you get there it feels very Italian. We stays in the Hotel Bouton D'Or which was really good value, friendly, nice rooms, and a shuttle to the gondola on demand. There are 2 routes up the the slopes- cable car and the gondola. Personally, I think the gondola is the better option.
Now that Courmayeur has fessed up to the true amount of pisted runs, there are under 40km pistes, but ample off piste opportunities, including the Vallee Blanche The skiing is VERY pretty and the on mountain restaurants are beyond fab (Heston Blumenthal loves is there so much he is holding a food festival there this season coming). Serious lunching is definitely a feature of a trip, and it is sooooo much less expensive than France, both for food and accommodation. It's a good place for a short break-the sort of resort that you would get bored of if you were there for a week, but great for 3 days or so. The town is lovely, with more great grub opportunities in the evening. It's very pretty ambling through the main streets. Italian chic!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kennels9, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Can't help with austria/Switzerland breaks but in France, Le Grand Bornand is great for a weekend and an easy reach from Geneva. Or La Clusaz if you want something a bit bigger as a base.

BUT just make sure you avoid French school holidays or you will find short-term accommodation difficult.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi - check out the SkiRail Map of the Alps to work out which resorts are closest to airports - it also tells you how long it takes to reach them by train.
I'd recommend Geneva, Zurich or Innsbruck as tons of resorts are within a 2.30 hours train ride of each airport. Unlike a road transfer, train rides can be a great part of the trip as you can relax, take in the incredible scenery, and have a beer or two as you travel.
The map's here http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
And there's an app too https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.mrdw.skirailmap&hl=en
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are a good few resorts very close to Innsbruck if your local airport flies there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or close to Salzburg if you have right flights there. We did Obertauern, Schladming, Flachau all within 1h or a bit more for Saalbach or Gastein. Fairly cheap shared transfers as well.

I would also look at Turin and Milky Way resorts.

If you prefer to rent a car then there is more opions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I was looking at a short break I would definitely consider doing the Innsbruck city and ski. You can stay in the city and then get the bus out to a number of resorts. Its easy and also pretty good value. Alternatively you can get the train into the Ziller Valley and stay somewhere like Kaltenbach. From there you can access all of the Zillertal resorts using the train for free.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Every year I go on a lads holiday for a long weekend. We have also done Chamonix and Morzine. I would vote for Austria as the best destination though. Loads of resorts can be reached by rail, but if the groups big enough if maybe just as cheap and more convenient to hire a minibus.

We have done St Anton, Soll and Kitzbuhel (all less than 2 hours from Innsbruck). I won't argue on the merits of the skiing each one, but there's more than enough in each for a long weekend, but the atmosphere in the resorts also suit a group holiday and they are cheaper than France. I have also stayed in Mayrhofen, which I think would make a great venue for such a trip as well. It can also be reached by rail within 2 hours from Innsbruck.

We went to Courmayeur one year and, although I agree with Perty, that it is pretty and generally cheap, we didn't find a lot to do in the evenings and had skied all the pistes after a day and a half. If the conditions are good for off piste, that's not such a problem, but they weren't when we were there and so didn't have such a great time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hard to beat Innsbruck if you're worried about transfer times. Can be at several resorts within 15-20 mins of leaving the airport.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Innsbruck is my choice mainly cos being a city the hotels etc. are geared up for short breaks of 1-2 nights (and obviously with the bias that I can just bunk off there after work on a Friday without needing flights). Then it's just a case of how far you don't mind travelling.
I'd do the same in Geneva/Annemasse kind of area too and jump in a car up to Les Gets/Morzine probably, but that needs more planning for me.
And for weekend breaks, I tend to choose what I know. Innsbruck in Jan is my next trip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kennels9, flights to Salzburg, hire a car and go and stay at Flangesax's place http://www.austrian-adventures.com/. Less than an hour from the airport, pretty much all motorway. You can then travel about 10 mins each day to a different area, each with enough skiing to keep you happy for at least a day without covering the same tracks twice and all covered on the same pass. Ridiculously easy to get about and a huge amount of skiing available.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^good choice Smile
exactly where a few of us were exactly a year ago to the day for a pre-pre-season bash Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can get flights to Innsbruck you have a large choice of big famous and small Austrian resorts within 1 to 1.5 hour drive. If you fly to Munich, Memmingen, Friedrichshafen, Zürich or Salzburg, those same resorts are about 3 to 3.5 hours drive away, but flight prices can be a lot cheaper.
Visit www.whitedescents.com for a way of experiencing different Tyrolean resorts each day, giving you the chance to make the best of weather and snow conditions Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy