Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro vs iON? Both on SportPursuit at [present

Poster: A snowHead
Okay so I've had a look through some of the threads and seen that folks rate the Go Pro highly but can't see any reviews of the iON. They are both on SportPursit right now.

iON AirPro WiFi - £149.70
GoPro Hero3 Silver - £199.80
GoPro Hero3 Silver with Remote - £255.00

I have to say that I prefer the form factor of the iON. Use will mainly be for skiing on helmet and pole mount and maybe surfing with a board mount. No sophisticated editing functions required just want to film myself and my son when skiing especially on the up coming trip to Japan.

All thoughts welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally i'd probably go for the iON, but thats because I really dislike the Radical Unicorn mounts and form factor of the GoPro.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both will work but the image quality is slightly better with the GoPro, depends on whether that's worth 50 quid to you or not. Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm also looking at a sports camera mainly for skiing and biking. I've ruled out the go pro mainly because of the form factor . I'm down to a choice of 2 now - either a Midland XTC400 or a the soon to be released (26th November) Drift Ghost S. I'll wait till some reviews have come out before making a decision though. I do however love the simple discreet form of the iON. Decisions, decisions.......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Despite the shape of the Ion, that it doesn't have a rotating camera housing like the Contour or Drift means it still relies on the mount to ensure the image is upright. As a result it still sticks up/out like a GoPro although certainly not as much. The Contour and Drift are still more discrete imho.

I DO like the big chunky ON slider switch on the Ion tho, both turns on and starts filming in one movement, and easily operated with gloves on.

In terms of image quality, resolution, framerate and other features, they're pretty much on a par.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, Absolutely agree that the Contour shoots great quality film, and has some excellent features... to the point that I put my money down and bought the +2. But I can't recommend it to anyone since the company went belly-up. There is talk of a white knight in the wings but until they can bring the thing back to market, so fingers crossed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef wrote:
Despite the shape of the Ion, that it doesn't have a rotating camera housing like the Contour or Drift means it still relies on the mount to ensure the image is upright. As a result it still sticks up/out like a GoPro although certainly not as much. The Contour and Drift are still more discrete imho.

I DO like the big chunky ON slider switch on the Ion tho, both turns on and starts filming in one movement, and easily operated with gloves on.

In terms of image quality, resolution, framerate and other features, they're pretty much on a par.

The ion has a sensor in that detects if it's upside down and rotates the image accordingly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I'm a gopro fan, but good news for the Contour fans:

We are pleased to inform you that Contour has been purchased by Clarke Capital Partners and is in the process of relaunching the business under new leadership. As a result we believe that customers will benefit from the continued development of world-class cameras and accessories. We also look forward to supporting our retail partners with a dramatic improvement in marketing programs. This restructuring should be completed in the next few weeks and will result in a seasoned and focused leadership team intent on building the Contour brand and continuing to develop world-class cameras and accessories.
-Contour

Should be in the shops within the next 2 weeks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has this been mentioned in lidl http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-BEA17F44-9DA57D2A/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7876
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
waveslider, Thats good news! Do you have a link to that press release?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/contour-saved-by-clarke-capital-buyout/015705
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, I don't have a link to the actual press release as it was sent as a trade email, but here's the rest of the text / sales blurb from the distributors Ultra sport, I am very tempted to try one myself:
BACK IN STOCK
At the same time we are pleased to announce that within the next 10 days the amazing Contour Roam 2 and Contour + 2 will be BACK IN STOCK. This gives us all a great opportunity to restock and fulfill those Christmas gift orders. It is a limited number we've got and once they're gone... they're gone until the New Year. So grab a few whilst you can. To be fair we are going to collate all orders by Tuesday and allocate fairly to make sure you all get some. Judging by the reaction to this news they will not last long so please do get your Christmas orders in ASAP to guarantee delivery.
Contour Shop | www.contour.com
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard Sideways The Contour Roam would seem to do most things that the Contour +2 can do. Is there a substantial difference in quality of film as I'm finding it hard to justify the extra £190 for what seems to mainly be mobile app usage Shocked

Really appreciate all the help form people and right now I'm tending towards the Contour Roam Razz

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 23-11-13 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
r0g3ratnw, I agree with you on the drift ghost. There's a plain drift HD which is only about 100£ and will attach to the side of your head due to its torch like anatomy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well decision made very easily in the end as OH just offered to buy the iON AirPro WiFi for my birthday Toofy Grin
I think I can put up with the top of the helmet mount as its not a teletubby box and it looks like it will be relatively easy to turn on and off. Will post a review once I've used it but that won't be until next year. Thanks again for all your help guys!
latest report
If you´re somebody who travels a lot then the Gopro is surely the best option. With spare parts for cameras and mounts available in most sports and electrical shops, a loss or breakage of a part might not necessarily ruin your filming opportunity. Also the water proof remote control makes life so much easier for anybody regularly attaching the camera out of personal view, i.e. helmet, kayak, surfboard, car, etc.
latest report
Get the Zeal Ion goggles, mine have been great.
ski holidays
I`ve got the Ion. I have used it skiing, surfing and mountain biking, and the mounts are good, but limited in range. On off vibrate is an excellent feature when the camera is on your helmet. Picture quality is equal to the GP2.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy