Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shell Fit - Width

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quick question, when conducting a shell fit, how much side to side width movement should there be when the heel is at the rear of the boot?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your bootfitter should know. If you're DIY fitting good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is for an old pair of boots I bought a while ago, I wanted to see if they are too loose and needed replacing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tap, Tap
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And when I say side to side, I mean at the forefoot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you'll find a bootfitters (above) maybe cryptically telling you the answer.

I assume he's suggesting tapping on the sides of the boot to see if you can feel it??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi again - I still need some assistance with this Confused

When doing my own shell check at home, my forefoot has a fair amount of pressure up against the sides of the boot (specifically my little toe). should my foot be touching or should there be a small gap either side?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montarius, a fair amount of pressure is not going to be comfortable. It might be good for race fitting, but I couldn't ski for a day in boots where there is any pressure on either side without the liner in place. Mine are about 1-2mm away from touching the sides of the boot, and they have been very carefully blown out so they are just about wide enough for me to be comfortable fr several hours without being too large. On that basis I'd suggest a small gap, even if only a very narrow gap at that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montarius, where is your foot when you say it is pressing? if at the front like when you are looking at length then it will be touching, think about moving to the middle of the boot thens ee what there is, lift the foot slightly (thickness of insole) and move side to size, somewhere from touching to a few mm each side depending on how tight you want your boots

length and forefoot width are just 2 dimensions in a boot fit, much more critical is heel fit and ankle area, you can make a boot bigger in almost every dimension but making it smaller is more difficult (actually it is simple but it doesn't always end well)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies. I will try this test when I get home later tonight. I think my foot was close to the front which I checked so will try moving to the middle and lift the foot slightly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok conducted the shell fit with my foot in the middle of the boot and with my foot slightly lifted to simulate insole.. I had the faintest of touches / 1mm on either side was has reassured me however my foot seems to spread at lot under pressure.

I tried the shell fit again but with the insole in (custom made) but not liner. Again had only a few mm each side so hopefully will all be fine! thanks you advice CEM.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy