Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Encouraging or Teaching Your Other Half To Ski/Snowboard? Seriously is she worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Who thinks it is a good idea to encourage their other half to ski or snowboard?

Is it the recipe for blissful couple holidays holding hands down the piste? Or disaster, you wish you'd never suggested it? For one thing, there's now all the expense of double the kit (and baggage)? And, maybe, you can't do first lifts and that untracked powder because she would rather do lunch and cruise a blue?

For another thing, if your other half does NOT ride, there's the freedom to do your own guy trips...

Or do couples who play together, stay together?

And/or have you ever tried to TEACH your other half to ski/snowboard? How did it go? Happily ever after? Or marital breakup?

How many couples actually ski or snowboard at the same level together - or is it a case of see you later at the restaurant or back at the chalet for tea?

I am writing a feature for a new online ski and snowboard magazine and would really appreciate guys' (or girls') views? If you don't want to be quoted just let me know...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without nekked pics it is obviously impossible to say if she is worth it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....and you can quote me on that!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

maybe, you can't do first lifts and that untracked powder because she would rather do lunch and cruise a blue?

and maybe your article won't consist entirely of easy sexist assumptions and clichés? wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well personally - I had to really twist my hubbies arm to give skiing another go he had done a week with school which did a good job of pretty much putting him off for life. Thankfully when he went with me - he got the bug as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought it'd be great to have the OH on the mountains with me & her brother so she finally relented and came away. 1st year was ok, she & the other beginners were in ski school all morning and members of the group skied with them in the afternoons. 2nd year she broke her ankle (in ski school) and vowed never to ski again.
I thought it'd be fatal to try to teach her to ski myself, in fact after ski school the best thing I could do was make myself scarce and let the others ski with the beginners.

Moral of the story? If she doesn't take to it like a duck to water, don't push it I guess.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obviously it will depend on the particular couple, but I think there is endless opportunity to ruin a perfectly good day on the mountain if you try to teach your other half. I won't teach my girlfriend, it's just not worth the tears.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stylister, If they can survive a ski holiday together they are made for each other!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although I learned to ski first my husband rapidly became a better ski than me as did our children. He and our sons often spend time with me skiing, encouraging me and correcting bad habits etc that creep in. I have to say I much prefer my sons offerings they are far more patient Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The wife skis, I snowboard. I used to offer to teach her, she just threatens ultra-violence. So now we just battle for the hearts and minds of the kids. She wants them to ski, I want to raise them to know the light and joy of the One True Edge.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stylister,

Encourage OH to ski, but as rob@rar says, under no circumstances attempt to teach them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher wrote:
Stylister,

Encourage OH to ski, but as rob@rar says, under no circumstances attempt to teach them.

+1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As is often the case on this forum I'll offer the alternative view Smile

Began teaching my girlfriend Nerys to ski two seasons ago.

She'd never skied before, but took to it well and really enjoys it.

One to one lessons were key.

Over the course of 4 holidays she has progressed from piste to low angle powder and trees.

Bought all the kit and already paid for itself compared with hiring.

Stylister PM me if you want more.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talked my OH into doing a season after she'd done 2 weeks skiing. Thought it might have been a big error about 2 weeks in with a big tantrum on the piste, but now she's a seriously good skier who is phased by no piste and starting to dabble in off piste.

Quiet moment the other day.

Me - "What are you thinking about?"
Her - "Skiing."

Result!

Best thing I did all season was buy her lessons for christmass.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 21-11-13 15:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you both ski then ski together. Your OH is also a friend (honest, not another species!!) and, just like skiing with any other friend, you have to adapt a bit to what you both like. Unless you are a raving expert and a total beginner you can always find some common ground. We both learned to ski before we met and ski mostly together. I am more likely to do an early morning raid to Glencoe on my own but that is willingness to be driving at 6 on a Saturday not ski ability.

Musher +1
This applies to teaching any skill of any sort, my wife tried to teach me to dance and still bears the scars Laughing
ski holidays
I'd say don't try to teach your OH unless you are a trained instructor AND s/he is used to taking instruction. I've had very successful snowboard lessons from my husband, but he's a snowboard instructor and I'm used to being instructed (although the kisses I got when I fell were really nice wink ).
Most of the clients I've taught, who were discouraged after a few sessions skiing with their OHs trying to teach them, were doing so much wrong because the OH didn't understand how and what to teach. A professional instructor can make it so much easier.
latest report
My husband had skiied as a teenager but I had never been on snow until we went on a big group holiday. Hubby had always wanted to board so we both were beginners really, and would have group lessons in the morning (seperately) and then meet up in the afternoon to try out our skills. Now we are both reasonable on piste and dabble in off piste, and ski/board the same pistes at similar speeds. He is marginally faster than me (I say because he has more mass!) but otherwise we are at a similar level, enjoy similar terrain and early lifts. If anything, I am a bit more ski-mad than him. I'm addicted!

On a recent couples winter holiday, we decided to have a go at the 'other' sport for a day. I gave boarding a go, having done the odd lesson here and there. I did feel bad as he had to stick to the greens and blues all day, and I get moody and frustrated when I make silly mistakes and fall. Poor man. The next day, hubby was on skis after not being on them for over 15 years. I'm a level 1 instructor, so just eased him in with some drills and he was very open to instruction. By the end of the day we were skiing the whole mountain, although for once, I was slightly faster and leading the way. That made me feel great.
So yes we ski together and both enjoy it. I love that we both have this passion for the mountains.
snow conditions
I only take my beloved if we're going self-catering.

Stylister, Don't quote me on that please, good luck with your book.
ski holidays
I suppose there is an argument for refusing to go out with anyone who doesn't tick that box (amongst others of course). It works for me… wink
ski holidays
If you ski as a couple then the perfect partner is either
a/ you both ski at similar levels
b/ the other is happy to stay at home while you ski with friends numerous weeks of the year
If you are lucky enough to have a large group that go away together then it is easier to split into ability groups.
Teaching your partner to ski / board is rarely a good idea but never say never!, ski schools are very variable across resorts, I have probably done more weeks in Ski School than most, but nearly all were in Soldeu, Andorra, where virtually all my instructors were mother tongue English speakers and ski school was really cheap and done as a social thing ( the lift system was so cr*p in the 80's but I could ski 3 weeks for the price of one).
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
As is often the case on this forum I'll offer the alternative view Smile

Began teaching my girlfriend Nerys to ski two seasons ago.

She'd never skied before, but took to it well and really enjoys it.

One to one lessons were key.

Over the course of 4 holidays she has progressed from piste to low angle powder and trees.

Bought all the kit and already paid for itself compared with hiring.

Stylister PM me if you want more.

I taught Mrs P at first, because she was too bloody tight to stump up for proper lessons! It was fine. Greens to blues to reds by day 3. Easy black on day 4.

That was 8 years ago. Still together, still skiing as much as possible - including 2 seasons living out in the Alps - and we both snowboard now as well.

Smile
snow report
skinanny, I agree - in that way one quickly comes to a level, where one can ski together. Worked well out for us, and has lasted for 30 years of skiing. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 21-11-13 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Stylister, I'm serious about the sexist assumptions; your thread title is actually quite offensive (and I'm not a particularly sensitive flower).
snow conditions
Just go for bigger group trips, and any difference in ability is easily resolved. I've found there are times when I want to head home mid-afternoon, so I do, and Mrs MP stays out with the group. There are other times I want to hammer down something steeper or go somewhere different, so find a few others who want to do the same. In a mixed ability group there always tend to be others who want to do the same sort of thing in any given day, and anyone can swap around as they like.

This is the advantage of SH bashes, because there are so many people there are always people who want to do the same kind of stuff, and if you find yourself either held back or struggling to keep up it is easy to find someone else at lunchtime to join up with.
latest report
^+1. I'd dump you if I were her.
snow report
pam w, quite and this whole thread is a plea to do the authors commercial homework.
snow report
pam w, substitute the "she" with a "he", and get on, may be Stylister just dig not think Sad . In our case it was "he".
ski holidays
Stylister, Come on you have to say you are sorry (otherwise the ladies get angry)- and some research is always good before writting. Make a she/he out of it. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hyst wrote:
substitute the "she" with a "he"

That is true, but that is not the way Stylister positioned the questions. I agree with pam w, the premise of the OP's article is sexist. It doesn't bode well for the quality of content on their website.
snow report
Ok, ok, I apologise if this came across as sexist...but, ironically I am a WOMAN who has gone through the learning process for skiing and snowboarding, on piste and off piste and fairly extreme, so I am aware of the women's point of view and was looking for the guys' angle for this feature (apart from my husband's!). Where better to ask, I was told, than Snowheads? Thank you for those who have come up with positive - and amusing - thoughts. I would welcome more.......
latest report
Stylister, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Idea
And the story can go on - next chapter smal children then teenager and we become "the old skiers" see, that is life snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-11-13 20:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Stylister, Ah, OK, so the suggestions for substituting "he/she" are all wrong. OK, if you want the man's point of view, you need to ask about "teaching your wife or girlfriend to ski". I would have no problem with that, provided you didn't go on to assume that her wish to be girly would inhibit his wish to be gnarly. wink
latest report
Sexist much?
latest report
Another thought - does it matter how good someone is at something as long as you can enjoy it together? And if you're passionate about something wouldn't you be willing to invest the time to help and encourage the person you love to become good at it so you can do it together? Or even just enjoy being with them and pottering about at their level? I have a very good friend who I potter about with on the bunny hill, she has no interest in venturing any further, and we always have a great time.
When I ski with my husband we compromise to keep each other happy.

Maybe it's also having the ability to indulge your passion at your level at another time? I'm currently teaching my husband to dance, which is fun for me since I am passionate about it, but I also get to dance with advanced dancers which keeps me happy. Likewise, my husband is teaching me to shoot, but he also gets to go and shoot as part of his job, so he is very patient with me since it's not a part of the time he has to spend practicing.
ski holidays
When I taught the missus, it wasn't from the point of view of 'get her up to my level' (I was only a cautious red runner at the time anyway). We have many many more of the 'come on get on with it' type scuffles nowadays (because I still slightly have the edge over her when it comes to shifting around the mountain, whether in terms of careless gung-ho or talent has not yet been made clear).

It was truthfully just a lovely way of spending time together, lots of falling over and cracking up laughing etc.. I was in no particular hurry, it was she who wanted to keep upgrading to tougher terrain in that first week!

I think my teaching was ok (and has been subsequently with our little boy), and she was a very willing and tolerant student. It might not be a good approach for everyone though.
snow report
Glad I'm not the only one who fumed when they read the thread title and opening post...
snow conditions
skinanny wrote:
I'd say don't try to teach your OH unless you are a trained instructor AND s/he is used to taking instruction.

This. My partner is a trained instructor who successfully taught me to windsurf, but I've seen several other budding relationships crash and burn as a result of a guy trying to teach his girlfriend his favourite sport (snowboarding, climbing, windsurfing, whatever) without ever having tried to teach anyone before and seemingly without the sense and humility to realise how badly he's screwing things up and apologise before the whole thing turns a bit acrimonious.

I don't think I've heard of it happening the other way around, with the girlfriend being the incompetent would-be instructor and the guy getting pissed off, but maybe that's just because my sample size is too small?
snow conditions
Stylister wrote:
I am a WOMAN who has gone through the learning process for skiing and snowboarding, on piste and off piste and fairly extreme, so I am aware of the women's point of view and was looking for the guys' angle for this feature (apart from my husband's!).

Do you mean you've got the insight of a wife who's been taught to ski and board by her husband, or have you got the insight of a wife who has taught her husband to ski and board?
ski holidays
I have spent over 30 years trying to ski as well as my wife and am still nowhere near. But she does let me ski with her.
snow conditions
johnE, well it seems that the OP is not really interested in your experience, only in those situations where a man has taught the little woman. wink

miranda, good question. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy