Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which are the world's ten best ski resorts for scenery?

Poster: A snowHead
I do agree that Lake Louise is amazing - and the view from Courmayeur too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton wrote:

New Zealand

Treble Cone

+1

also many other NZ fields are up there with the best for views.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For anyone that doubts Courmayeur… IMO not the best 'resort' but does have spectacular scenery...

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
rungsp wrote:
Scotland takes some beating when things are just right.

Totally this. My three favourite skiing views that I can remember are Zermatt, Chamonix, Nevis.

Agree, parts of the Scottish West Coast are simply the most gorgeous places on the planet. Just a shame Fort Bill squats there too, a lot like a genital wort.

Yep both Glencoe and Nevis have some of the best views of any ski resort on the planet. Megeve I'd have thought was ho hum (backside of teh MB massif).

I'd add La Grave - something about the space and being up close to La Meije

How about worst views?

Vail, Copper - views of a motorway, like being up the tower at Forton services
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Vail, Copper - views of a motorway, like being up the tower at Forton services

Vail's got nothing against Killington as the worst view! Wink Overlooking some brown little hills around. Sad Oh yea, motorway too.

But Killington is nothing compare to Mt. Holly, Michigan (or any midwest ski hills). Overlooking nothing but flat fields and suburb below (and not much below either: only 2~300' worth).

Surprising it didn't turn me off skiing completely starting in an environment like that! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Juddernaut wrote:
Scotland looked very naff to me TBH

I feel sorry for you. You were most probably visited by a soul stealer in the middle of the night when you were a child.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So everybody has to love a few hills with a few inches of snow and Scotland now? IMHO it looks naff, especially compared to the other places mentioned here. I have been visited in the middle of the night by a succubus though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The view from Grouse Mountain is pretty cool:

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surprised the pow capital of the ski world hasn't got a mention. Our friends in Nippon blessed with the stuff. Gotta get there one day.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, Always wanted to go back there… Visited it once as part of my gap year travelling, but slipped off a kerb the day I arrived in Vancouver and sprained my ankle badly… Think they'd just had a monster dump as well which kind of twisted the knife…

Amazing hill with great views and snow record as well… Be awesome to live somewhere where you can grab your board after work and hit the slopes for a couple of hours...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlpineAddict, My sister in law lives just down the hill from Grouse and Cypress but is totally dismissive of them and drives up to Whistler every weekend. She doesn't know how lucky she is!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, I guess you always take what is on your doorstep for granted… I live in and around Bournemouth and Poole and NEVER go to the beach, or do any waterspouts at all… Instead I chose to focus all my attention on a land far, far away… full of rocky things and snow…

I suppose living in Vancouver (which must be an awesome city to live in) you are blessed with the best of everything...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Juddernaut wrote:
So everybody has to love a few hills with a few inches of snow and Scotland now? IMHO it looks naff, especially compared to the other places mentioned here. I have been visited in the middle of the night by a succubus though.

Yes, I see what you mean. One look and the first word that springs to mind is 'naff.' rolling eyes Whatever you might think about the skiing, the scenery is out of this world, and a lot of the time feels more wild and haunting than much of the Alps.

Photo stolen from the Clachaig Inn's FB page.

mofatross Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 22-11-13 23:21; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, that's a lovely photo. Empty glens; people gone, trees gone, and now the sheep gone.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

Quote:

It looks like a list plucked from the most popular package holiday ski resorts

hardly. Most don't figure largely - or at all - in the brochures of the main British TOs.

The only ones not in the Crystal brochure are St Moritz and Megeve.

Neilson is also missing Madonna di Campoglio, but does have St Moritz.
snow conditions
Is anybody going to take this seriously. We have had Scotland (looked very naff to me TBH) and now The Lake District.

Raise in the lake district is the only one in a national park. A place actually designated for its scenic quality. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Another vote for Raise - just above Ullswater in the English Lake District (on a clear day) - closely followed by Selva in the Dolomites. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

Is anybody going to take this seriously.

I shouldn't think so; these "best ski resort" efforts are such a silly gimmick, really.
snow conditions
Some great views on this page. I think those Scottish views are all around Glencoe. I have joined-up OS maps of that part of Scotland papering part of my bathroom - right where I can stare at it when I'm on the loo. Very Happy

For me at the moment the answer to the question is the Dolomites, especially the Sella Ronda area. I'm a relatively recent convert but have now skied there 3 times,

and the last 2 years I have been there in the Summer as well with my non skiing wife.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 23-11-13 14:57; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:
choose their top ten resorts for scenic drama ...

"their" is the key word in the original question. I've seen loads places far more beautiful than many mentioned here in my opinion. Key is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
I've seen loads places far more beautiful than many mentioned here in my opinion.

Well, go on then, tell us (or even better - show us).
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/uUBW7AtD_Xs&hd=1

Difficult to not have Narvik on a 10 top list, Narvik is not only a skiresort, its a town
snow report
snowball wrote:
Dot. wrote:
I've seen loads places far more beautiful than many mentioned here in my opinion.

Castleford Xscape around bar closing......now that's scenic.
snow report
Dot. wrote:
snowball wrote:
Dot. wrote:

Castleford Xscape around bar closing......now that's scenic.

I'll see your Castleford and raise you late Friday night in Folkestone
snow conditions
Amazing places..oh to ski them all!...lets hope this link works to the spectacular Lauberhorn

http://youtube.com/v/KaulDHZT1hg&feature=player_embedded
snow report
Panorama in Canada is very scenic. They have a run from the top called view of 1000 peaks... and it's not wrong!!
ski holidays
Wonderful scenery snowHead

snow report
DB, where, where, where Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, Where was your second photo taken? Is that an off-piste gulley near the Sella massif?
snow conditions
For me, Heavenly just didn't do it... but I do like the town of Truckee at the other end of the lake, famous for Donner kebabs I think.

The road going between Banff and Lake Louise is just jaw dropping spectacular if you catch it on a "blue bird" day.

Zermmat .. Yes .. wake up in the morning and open the curtains and find a big pointy mountain in your back garden.

Chamonix if you get the weather right it is just amazing, even just looking up from the town at that huge glacier that looks like it could fall off on you at any time.

In France there is a little place with spectacular views over Lake Geneva where you can get a season ticket for the price of a six day pass in other places.
Thollon les Memises

But we can thank God that he has given such a beautiful world to play in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy