Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort! (42937469th edition)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

We're going away from January 18th/19th 2014 for a week. Usually go to VT, although have previously been to Les Arcs (twice) and La Plagne (once, as a novice). This year several of us are taking first timer other halves, and we had originally planned to go to Hotel Tango in Val T, but it sadly no longer has sufficient rooms left - there's around 10 of us on the trip.

This has led to us looking at other resorts.

Key criteria -

beginner friendly without being dull for those of us who can ski
plenty of mileage
decent apres ski - found VT good but La Plagne and Les Arcs a bit lacking
as little bussing around/walking in ski boots as possible
package from Scotland
budget of £600 or less for flights, transfers and half board hotel/chalet board, preferably ski in, ski out or close to it.

Realistically I think this leaves us a choice of La Plagne/Les Arcs, Tignes, or somewhere else in the 3V's?

Considering Hotel Terra Nova in Plagne Centre - anyone been?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tenerife
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you could also consider alpe d'huez as its fairly compact around the middle so if you have beginners you can go off and ski and the come back and buzz them occasionally. Crystal will do you a HB in your budget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobalexander1983 wrote:
Realistically I think this leaves us a choice of La Plagne/Les Arcs, Tignes, or somewhere else in the 3V's?

I note that you are excluding any resorts in Switzerland, Austria and Italy. It is possible to ski there as well you know wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not excluding them Alistair, although I think the selection of resorts available from Scotland due to flights is a fraction of what you can get from down south without breaking the bank. I've always fancied Arabba, but it's the thick end of £1000 each for even low season weeks like that one.

We like French skiing and at that time of year there is a massive surplus of accommodation and therefore bargains to be had. I think it's also fair to say the big french resorts are, overall, better linked than anything else in Europe.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bobalexander1983, Plagne centre is an absolute shy toll.

I would rather go to Tignes with Lily Savage than Plagne Centre with Lindsey Vonn
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to La Plagne before, so I'm aware of how repulsive the resort and lift hub are to the discerning eye. As a fan of Val Thorens, I can't really say appealing architecture is high on my list of priorities!

I think Tignes may be the answer, just slightly worried that the home runs may be a bit of a nightmare for the beginners.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobalexander1983, fair point... LP would be far better for the greenhorns and let's face it Tignes is no oil painting itself

Years ago I went to Montgenevre and perhaps that might suit you? Turin is the usual airport - not sure how that suits you
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a quick look at it there, only one S/C option and one shabby chalet on offer with Crystal (usually the best for holidays from Scotland unfortunately) and I'm not sure if there's enough challenging skiing to keep the more adventurous members of the group busy without abandoning the beginners every day to explore the milky way!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobalexander1983, Tignes is good for the beginners if you are in the right place - there are two beginner lifts, and they just need to get used to the idea that they will need to get the bubble home. If you go for Le Lac or Lavachet you get the convenient lifts near town centre for breaks/lunch, if you go for Lavachet the runs home are much easier than Trolles. When we went there some of our beginners were very happy with the "ski tranquille" area at the top of the mountain, not too hard to get to but can keep a first week skiier happy for several days.

If I was you I'd look at Morzine - I've always found the apres to be pretty good there, fairly close to Geneva so tends to be easier to find transfers to suit your flights if you go that way, and there is skiing for just about anyone around the PDS, the beginners will probably stay on the Morzine/Avoriaz runs, others can go off and come back to meet them easily enough.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think for what you want hard to beat Val Thorens. Tignes fine but can be difficult for beginners to progress there. Much more suitable slopes for this purpose in VT
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You should look at Avoriaz, has everything you have requested. I have been 3 or 4 times, for europe as an overall resort i have found it hard to beat.

beginner friendly without being dull for those of us who can ski - yes and yes
plenty of mileage - Port due soil one of the biggest ski areas in the world
decent apres ski - found VT good but La Plagne and Les Arcs a bit lacking - there are quite a few bars/clubs and restrurants to keep you entertained, live bands, bowling, all sorts
as little bussing around/walking in ski boots as possible - purpose built predestrian, ski to door resort
package from Scotland - flights to geneva
budget of £600 or less for flights, transfers and half board hotel/chalet board, preferably ski in, ski out or close to it. - defo get all that on self catering, not sure about half board without looking
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Port due soil one of the biggest ski areas in the world

are you implying it isn't very snow sure?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 Laughing Laughing
snow report
A quick search on crystal brings up several places in the Val di Fassa for under £600pp. Canazei and Campitello both have lifts out of the towns that link into the Sella Ronda. Flights from Edinburgh.
ski holidays
Scarlet, Thanks, I'll check it out. Canazei looks pretty good at a glance. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Risoul, with link to Vars? Or Vars with link to Risoul? Bit quiet on the apres ski front, though.
latest report
bobalexander1983, I love Canazei but don't think it fulfils your criteria!
Plenty of walking around in ski boots (though there are fairly frequent ski buses, and/or you can leave your skis at various places close to the lifts themselves).
Quite quiet at night (there are bars but not many clubs).

There are beginner slopes in the village, but the main beginner area requires two lifts to get there.

One thing to bear in mind - once you've skied in the Dolomites, you won't go back to France Laughing

BTW, our party will be in Canazei that week Very Happy
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, Well, I would not say "only Dolomites" Mr. Green , like them both but 2 places are very different, so this year one week Dolomites (Alba di Canazei) and one week France (Tignes). Little Angel

bobalexander1983, If you like 3v - try Mottaret, very central - but do not know about packege from Scotland. Puzzled
latest report
Hyst, Alba is lovely - and will improve further when the planned lift onto the Canazei Belvedere is installed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy