Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2013/2014 -webcams and reports

Poster: A snowHead
Yes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hammerite, cool. Are you staying in Monetier? Let me know if you want to meet for a ski or a beer.

Question to anyone that knows. I've never been to La Grave so thought I'd go while I'm there in Serre Chevalier from 5th. Have got the option of 1 day or 2 days guiding. I'm a quite good off piste skier and have no worries about steep slopes but I'm no expert. Not into skinning or hiking much really. Do I want to be doing 1 or 2 days there?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5, we'll be in Villeneuve.

Never been to the area and have family in tow so won't organise anything until we're there and have our bearings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, I'd do a day and see how it goes. Always an option to do another one?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells, yes that's what I've gone for in the meantime, better to do 1 day and then go for another if it's good that to book 2 and wish I hadn't.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Re La Grave it's the Derby from April 2nd to the 4th so will be very skied out, unless there's new snow.

As for here in Serre OH has been skiing pretty well every day this week with a friend whilst I've been elsewhere, and pistes are in good condition and devoid of people.

Today she was making the most of the afternoon slush on her board with a mate whilst I was cycling over to Puy St Vincent, where we'll probably be heading to tomorrow.

Spent three days down in the Queyras last week with friends and a guide who we've been skiing with since 97 and lives in LG and was very special, came back and told the OH that we should sell up here and move down there, didn't go down that well Smile

Pics and story here of our road trip here
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, oh bummer I hadn't realised that. I think a little bit of snow is due from Thursday onwards. I've booked it now but it will good to go and ski it anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, forecast keeps changing, you may well be lucky.

Yesterday we went over to Puy St Vincent and ski toured up the Narryroux valley, which is where the Off Piste Bash came down, our plan was to climb further to get to some untracked spring snow but we came across a couple of other tourers on the way down who said it was not worth it, so we turned back and took an interesting line back to the van at Puy 1400 http://www.strava.com/activities/125908074

Was interesting though as we could see where the various routes were off the back of Puy, which will be on the cards for next season, and with my track record I'm not making any comments relating to the recent Snowheads off piste bash descent down there, not even any rolling eyes.

Went up to Puy 1600 for some lunch and it was so hot, but like here in Serre pistes holding up well, and so empty.

Today started early because of the warm weather and parked up at the Rif Blanc tunnel just down from the Sestrieres Gite below the Lautaret.

Quite a few were getting ready or already going up including some gendarmerie secours en montagne which made us feel better (me and a mate).

On the way up I passed this elderly guy and carried on to who I thought might be his daughter, she was in fact his wife (63) and he was 84 - he was only going a short way but chapeau as the snow was really difficult with hard ice, and crampons were almost a necessity although mine remained in the pack rolling eyes

We made it up to the Pointe de Tête Noire boot packing the last 100m to get to the summit at 2842.

The descent was fantastic spring snow that had transformed as we climbed up, in fact my mate said it was the best out of his ten days touring of which seven were with various guides, so quite chuffed to have taken him up and get that result, so much better than yesterday Cool

View down Serre Chevalier

Looking down to the Lautaret

Strava tracklog http://www.strava.com/activities/125880522

So looks like rain from Thursday onwards in resort though hopefully that will be snow at altitude and then back to touring weather next week Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No sun today and cloud towards the top of the valley and a little bit of end of season gloom as snow in resort now disappearing rapidly and can see more green than the white stuff Crying or Very sad

But pistes still ok down to resort here which is the important bit!

Now have deer coming down behind us seeking out the fresh green shoots which gets the dogs going!

Last of this season's friends from the UK have also now gone back.

Tonight will nip down to Briancon as I joined the local Club Alpine and will see what their touring plans are for Sunday, and into next week.

Forecast not looking too good for the next three days with light rain, though should be snow at altitude and will be good for La Grave weekend onwards maybe?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went up the hill today at 13:00 and it was deserted, ok a few more people started appearing 14:30 onwards but did Luc A and C de Boeuf without seeing anyone.

Snow was spring snow on N facing pistes and slush lower down, great fun on my 107 wide skis having a giggle with some of the local dude snowboarders I know (spraying them) - anyone coming out next week and renting go for some skis circa 100 wide if you can.

Snow holding up well few bare patches on the Mickey run into the Grotte but no rocks etc peeking through
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Funny old day, forecast today was again for rain and we have sunshine.

Was talking weather bollox with Eric who owns the Cocoon (also an ESF instructor) last night as again we did not get the weather forecast for the last couple of days, and as he's said before if the wind is from the N/NW then more often that not we'll get clear skies, and that's the scenario today.

However looking up towards Lautaret it's very cloudy and been looking at La Grave cams and looks like snow, though Deux Alpes cams show cloud and then clear at 3200, so rang my guide friend who lives in La Grave to see what he thinks.

And twas an ironic conversation as he said he was just going to ring me as he's 1,000m up behind me in cloud on the Porte de Cristol near the Col de Granon and I second guessed him in that he was after a lift back to where he'd left his van, though he agreed with my "advice" that better to head down to La Salle les Alpes old village as snow level is a lot lower on that aspect 1750m rather than Villard Late as that would be a long walk down as snow level there is circa 2,000, so awaiting phone call.

Then plan this afternoon is to go back up the hill as I have some touring type skis to try out, and want to ski difficult snow etc as know they'll be fine in good snow but the real test is varied snow pack which I'm sure will not be too difficult to find!

Then we were thinking might go over to Deux Alpes next week as we have free lift passes for there if it really is too warm here, decisions, decisions Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh well we both got that wrong where the snow level was today.

In fact the road was open to Tronchets 1900m and I found them walking below the road a fair bit past there rolling eyes

Then drove him back to his van which was left at Pont de l'Alpe and had a chat about conditions and routes to take on various aspects, and what should be good as well as safe!

So tomorrow will try one that he recommended and is still in good condition when he last saw it on Wednesday, only trouble Pont de l'Alpe on a Sunday can be very busy, and there is always the other factor as to whether we'll get freeze tonight which should be the case if sky remains clear.

We went back up the hill with me trying some new skis and the Mrs on her fat skis, and it was really good, again Shocked

There was quite a party going on at the Aravet, beating music, dancing on tables a la Folie Douce with people trying to ski across water and various people in a state of undress, and it was sunny & warm, just as well for the people not managing to ski/board across the water Laughing

After blasting around the pistes for a while we ended up going further afield and skied some good spring snow on North facing slopes which sort of got us thinking about where else to go, and we headed over to one of our powder spots which is often untracked and sure enough we ended up skiing some great spring snow above pistes, think we did about five laps.

Pistes were a little busier today but still very empty and new skis were as good as my fat skis, in fact they are only 7mm narrower.

So early start tomorrow just hope it's not cloudy when we wake up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just in the Hotel de L'Europe in Monetier after what felt like the longest transfer ever. God it was longer than Tignes.
It's nicer than I was expecting actually, the rooms look like they've been recently refurbished especially the bathroom as I have a nice double shower which looks brand new judging by the tiles and fittings. So I'm very pleased.

Looks a bit melted down here obviously but apparently the snow is still really good higher up. First ski day tomorrow then Monday is my La Grave day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
where did you transfer from. its great from turin but is a drag from grenoble
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grenoble unfortunately! In with the package deal but I won't be doing that again, takes far too long as well as the driver needing to stop for half an hour as well or he'd be over his hours.
Oh and Grenoble on a Saturday-again I won't be doing that again either.
ski holidays
Talking to some of the reps tonight, sounds like a few logistic changes have been going on today's transfers!

On what should not be such a busy day compared to previous weeks even though it's UK Easter Hols I know of clients coming in from Geneva and not the more normal Turin transfer, five hours plus!

Resort apartment car parks are not that busy tonight, though more Belgians than of late.

VolklAttivaS5, so just get out there and shred tomorrow and you'll have forgotten all about today hopefully, and have Monday to look forward to and probably not get much sleep as you'll be so anxious Little Angel

I'm off at 08:00 clouds allowing from Pont de l'Alpe avec les bitches Smile
snow conditions
We had a relatively straight forward journey in from Turin. In resort by 1pm (although we left home at 3am), swanning about in shorts and t-shirt all afternoon.
latest report
Quite an early start this morning from Pont de L'Alpe (08:00*) which is about 6km up from Monetier towards the Lautaret.

As it was a Sunday and good weather I knew it was going to be busy and sure enough by the time we arrived there were many cars, though many were left overnight as people were staying in various refuges.

There must have been around fifteen people ahead of us, though just past the summer village of Alpe du Lauzet we turned away from the main routes towards Col du Chardonnet and Col de l'Aiguillette and we were just about on our own before the dogs heard their first marmots of this year and that was tad embarrassing as they legged it off up the mountain, but fear not animal lovers they never get near them and even if they did they'd soon back down, the same with cats when they give chase and a cat decides to stand their ground, that is very funny if you're a cat lover and don't like dogs Confused

The climb took us up towards an East facing slope that was already transforming, and again a fair number of marmots around with the dogs going way out of sight on numerous occasions giving a a little cause for concern every now and again.

As we were climbing up one group started to follow us, well so I thought, except looking down on them they at times were taking a slightly better line than the one I'd taken which made me think that they might know this terrain.

That's always the issue if you don't know a route and are having to almost guess the best and safest line up the slope, which is akin to doing a puzzle.

Once we had arrived at the highest point I spotted an Ibex or some animal of that ilk, who turned out to be very territorial and at one point had me a little concerned that he might take to defending his territory and we'd be the ones being chased!

As we were preparing to descend the following group arrived pointing up towards a bouquetin up on the rocks looking down on us that I had not seen. The group was actually a family, mum and dad and two boys circa 13 and 10 I'd guess at. Had a brief chat with Dad and there was a gnarly route you could take that took you around the main rock face known as the tour de Roche Robert, unfortunately I'd already taken my skins off and couldn't join him as he left his family to go and do it and join up with them laters, he did look rather nifty as he skinned up the really steep line like a feckin mountain goat rolling eyes

Descent was wonderful as we caught the snow just at the right time, we now know that there is another route to the right of the Roche Robert that goes 200m or so higher.

We were back down by 11:00 and in the supermarket in Briancon by 11:30.

Dogs now well and truly knackered and temps in the sunshine on the patio reading 30+

Think the restaurants on the hill will be very busy today.

More pictures and story here

*reason for starting early is that East facing slopes transform faster and will be the first ones to start sliding after three or four hours of sunshine, plus you don't want the snow too soft either.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 6-04-14 14:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Weathercam, not apprehensive at all about tomorrow I'm looking forward to it.

Today was a nice day but I've come in early as it's all soft now. Just going to have a look around the shops now and get some food so I'm well rested for the morning. Early start as my bus is about 8.00 luckily it goes from just around the corner from my hotel.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I'm always anxious about the next day and what it may hold, though tends to be worse when I'm doing stuff on my own.

Do you know who your guide is, and don't have a two hour lunch either Laughing

PS if you're up for some touring let me know, have some kit you could use.
snow report
Don't know, I've booked it through Snowlegend whoever they are. Do you know them? The person emailing me has been called Andre (Didi).
ski holidays
Weathercam

Update: the guide is called Fred and there are two other people in the group. So for 90 Euro for all day then that's pretty good value.

The snag is the bus doesn't come back to Serre Chevalier until 18.15 and I will have finished skiing long before then. How much is a taxi from La Grave to Monetier do you reckon otherwise that's a very long day considering the bus there leaves at 7.51.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, sorry did not see your latest post, hope the day went well. When I was doing the avalanche course back in Jan I was leaving here at 07:30 and not leaving LG till 18:30.

Hopefully you enjoyed the ambiance that the Castillian offers until your bus came, was the bus the scheduled LER bus?

And €90 very good!

As for what we got up to, I'm a bit tired so basically I planned a tour using the lifts to start off with, though my initial plan was to use the Mea drag but that was closed, so used Eychauda instead.

Superb descent in classic untracked spring snow down to the valley floor where we picked up the ski randonnée route back over to the Col de Frejus and the Cucumelle chair which some of you will recognise.

Top of Cucumelle chair circa 14:30 there were puddles, ski back down was quite arduous, and not too many people around skiing that snow pack!

Anyway more pictures and the days story here
ski holidays
Weathercam, yes it was the scheduled bus that goes to and from Grenoble.

I did enjoy the skiing but it was a very long day mainly as the bus left at 7.51 and didn't go back until 18.15. There was only one other person in the group so it was even more of a bargain at 90 Euros each.
The snow was nice on our first run down this morning I got fresh tracks which was a bit of a surprise after the Derby but the rest of the time it was the usual spring challenging snow which was either catchy or very wet and heavy. I found the afternoon quite difficult as I was getting tired and my knee was playing me up and hurting a lot. As I say it's a long day when I was up at 6.15 and then skied from 10 ish by time we got up there until gone 4 with less than an hour's lunch break. You don't get much of a rest in a very small group either as there's no waiting for anyone else to arrive or for them to pick themselves up when they've fallen over.

I'm probably a better skier now than I was when I got on the bus this morning and it's easily the most challenging off piste I've skied and I've done a lot of Snoworks courses and the like etc so not a newbie to it.

I think if I was to go again I'd stay in La Grave itself and do maybe 3-5 days guiding and that in itself would remove the knackering bus trip to and from.
snow report
Earthquake felt in Serre Chevalier this evening. Measuring 5 on the Richter scale, the epicentre was between Vars and Barcelonette .
snow report
Hells Bells, Report here
snow conditions
Wow, felt that and looked out the window to see if a lorry was thundering past. I did say to one of the others that I wondered if it was an earthquake.

Had a good couple of days so far. Conditions are amazing considering how hot it is, think the main difference to other places I've been when it is warm is that it's relatively quiet here, so whilst the snow is heavy there aren't great big mounds and piles of slush to get through. It's a bit strange finishing off a day's skiing and there are a load of kids in the swimming pool (UCPA) right next to the lift.

We did the Briancon side of the area yesterday and have done the Monetier side today.
snow report
Mentioned it to the Mrs just now and she said was it around 21:00 as she felt the sofa vibrate and wondered what was going on, though I was in the loo at the time!

VolklAttivaS5, well done, like you say a group of two and you're not hanging around for 25 others or taking two hour lunches Laughing

The toughest aspect is that the length of the pitches are so much longer than in other places, which plays havoc with the legs after a few laps. And yesterday was the warmest temps of the season so far and the slushiest snow I've skied. Were you able to ski down to P1 or even all the way down to the river?

hammerite, good point about the lack of crowds and subsequent lack of mounds, are you skiing on wide skis?

And like I say yesterday was by far the warmest day of the season so far!

Today weather is overcast and mild, not at all good for freeze thaw, had planned a day off today anyway as work is piling up, but not good for tomorrow at this rate, for touring that is, but also pistes will not freeze either.

Have a tour scheduled with the Club Alpine Briancon on Thursday but if it's overcast tomorrow then that will not happen.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 8-04-14 9:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More on the quake from the Dauphine here scroll down and the link should take you to a translation of the article.
snow conditions
Weathercam, thanks. Yes we definitely skied from the very top a fair few times and in the afternoon the snow was very heavy. I don't know where we went I was too busy concentrating on keeping the guide in sight. I remember skiing at least 5 long pitches.

We skied through some trees twice which led back to P1 I think so the answer to that is yes. Apparently you could ski down to the bottom if you took your skis off for a part of it-not sure which bit or how long.
ski holidays
Packed in early today (2pm), couldn't see much up high (where it was snowing) and was getting too wet sat on chairlifts. Typically now I'm in it's looking a bit brighter.

Still did some good runs before the rain started.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-04-14 13:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Weathercam, no, we've not got particularly wide skis, but managing fine with what we have. Never skied on fat skis so was a bit apprehensive asking for them!
latest report
hammerite, if you're renting sure you could swap and try some for a day though don't try them when it's hard first thing in the morning, or maybe even just try some for the afternoon.

What level was it snowing it, though presumably only light as I can't see much on the trees from down here ?
ski holidays
There was a small amount of nice fresh snow at the top of Vallons as I skied back down to Monetier after lunch. Underneath the Vallons chair as well. So that gives you an idea of height. On the way back down the snow was sticky and making me practically stop it was that wet. Hopefully it will be colder later.
ski holidays
Here's the view of the pistes coming down into Villeneuve as you can see the grass is encroaching on the piste down from Club Med to Pontillas (right of picture) Casse de Boeuf (in the middle) still plenty of days left in / on it, though Mickey (left of picture) the run down to the Grotte is looking patchy in places but should manage to hold out till the end of the season hopefully.

Booked the dogs in to the vets for the 22nd, so might have to actually think about booking the trip home Sad

ski holidays
Skied down the Bez with Jnr and the OH at about 1.30pm. They packed up and I went up (and back down) the Casse de Beouf, was snowing to just below the top of the lift. Don't think it snowed that low for long though.

VolklAttivaS5, I struggled too with very light snow cover over slush, very sticky!
snow report
Nice day today and the pistes were in good condition. Better than earlier in the week. It was windy today at times so that probably kept it a bit colder overall.
Sunny all day and no rain. The snow was good even down to Briancon (but I only skied to the mid station so don't know what it was like lower down).

Had a look around the shops in Chantemerle this morning, the gondola station looks new I can't remember that being there last time I stayed in Chantemerle a few seasons ago, has it been replaced/is it new?

Also they seem to have done things up a bit along the main street, am I right? I noticed the bar under the Grand Hotel used to be called something else when I stayed in that hotel, now the Grand Hotel have got it. Also Logis have now got the Grand Hotel and it's now a 3 star not a 2 star?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, it was new this season, replaced a big red cable car. The top station of that is still there, but is only going to be used in Summer. I think they refurbished the Grand Hotel last year. I seem to remember seeing them removing old furniture as we drove past.
snow conditions
Weathercam 3 weeks makes a big difference.
latest report
Hells Bells, ah right I did see that when I got to the top of the Ratier gondola and wondered what was going on with it. I can't remember going in that last time maybe I used the chair every time as I definitely remember going on that.

I looked on tripadvisor they seem to have renovated some floors of the Grand Hotel but not all and most probably intend to do the rest soon. I know some people who stayed there though in March this year and they weren't impressed with their rooms so maybe they got the non-renovated ones. I know mine was the smallest room I'd ever had with a tiny little shower room but since I only paid £450 or whatever it was including flights and transfers for half board then what do you expect.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy