Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY adaptation of Dynafit AT boot to DIN compliant sole.

Poster: A snowHead
I bought these to tour on a borrowed Fritschi and twin tip set up. I did a first tour of 1000m ascent in perfect comfort, yet they were stiff enough to control the skis in forest descents. At 1650g they felt like slippers in walk mode

But I then put an Atomic Tracker binding (bought very cheap in a sale) on my skis and needed a touring boot with an Alpine DIN compatible sole without too much rocker.

So... I decided to buy a set of DIN sole plates for £12 and butchered my boot soles. I had to take 2-3mm off the heel height, and then cut out a section of the sole where the non sliding AFD of the binding would be located. The only way to do this was to spend a lot of time with a stanley knife cutting away.

The end result is not that pretty, but using Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy to glue the cut down plates into position should hold them.

And the all important gap possible with the toe piece at full height.

Result!!! I can ski in the resort and do short hikes with my Alpine boots unbuckled and use these for longer tours. Just have to get used to the massive flex difference when swapping boots Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avalanche Poodle, please can you educate me - 'all important gap' Puzzled . There is obviously something I don't understand about the fitting of boots into bindings and I would be happy to learn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh boy.... you just put furry dice on a Ferrari.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can v should, I think I'm beginning to understand the difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That toe height gap is waaaaaay too large - it should be a snug pull-out with a 0.5mm feeler gauge - prepare yourself for regular pre releases.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, jbob, Laughing

There was no choice, I couldn't find anyone to buy them, and I've left work to go and ski a season so really could not afford to buy a third pair of ski boots this year. In future I could just get them resoled and back to the original spec. I found the bindings in a sale at proper half price, a massive saving, so that saved me a fair bit of cash. This has added a little positive ramp angle to the stance, but I don't do much flat touring so it isn't really a problem to me. Oh, these are the One U boot so right at the cheaper end of the range. I had to get them for touring short notice last season. Worked well on the Fritschi set up.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 22-11-13 2:00; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, Thanks for the warning. There was no intention of skiing like that, the gap is about 2mm at full height. It was because prior to the adaptation boots with a full rocker put pressure on the non sliding AFD and would not fit these bindings even on full height adjustment. There has been a lot of discussion on the issue in the TGR forums, over in Canada a lot of people simply belt grind the front section of their AT boots to fit, but there is still the issue of a Vibram type sole giving inconsistant releases when tested. With some boots a DIN setting of 8 was on ocassion releasing at anything up to 12. The pic was simply to show that there is now enough range in the toe piece adjustment of the binding to accommodate the boot. Bindings like the Duke have a sliding plate and a greater height range on the toe so do not have this problem. But the other benefits of the Tracker/Guardian outweigh this to me. In future I would just get boots with swappable sole plates, if anyone wants to donate a pair of Scarpa Freedom SLs to save me from the Frankenboot I would be grateful Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 20-11-13 11:56; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Salomon and Atomic have put out a few warnings about AT boots not working in these bindings, in a lot of peoples opinion a sliding AFD should have been used but I guess they want people to switch to their 'hike n ride' boot range when using these type of bindings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Think of trying to jam a curved hiking boot sole into a downhill binding. When you lock the boot into place the sole would be jammed so hard into the anti friction device plate that it would not slide out to the side properly in the event of a crash. Some people use a credit card thickness as a measure to make sure there is not excessive pressure, most tourers I know adjust by eye, some use the correct gauge. This is only to do with touring bindings with a height adjustable toe piece that can be raised or lowered to accommodate different boots.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 21-11-13 2:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avalanche Poodle, Getting my head around this . . . You butcher a good pair of boots to fit some cheap bindings rather than fit proper ones in the first place? Hell it would have been easier to make a clip-on sleeve to go over the Vibram sole at the ADF point . . . note to self . . . patent that idea. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, the bindings are top notch, will handle anything on or off piste, low profile, rock solid, the DIN goes up to 16 for those real hard core professional cliff huckers, yet still work great for touring. It is the boot sole thickness that is the problem, AT DIN is a different spec to Alpine DIN. If I'd have seen them on the market before I bought the boots I'd have gone for a boot with a switchable sole. I was looking at the Dukes too, but on balance thought the Trackers were a little better for what I wanted.

"Salomon is ripping into the market this year with the Guardian 16 (MSRP $550). This binding goes head to head with the Duke incorporating several features that make it one of the most exciting new freeride A/T bindings on the market. Like the Duke, the Guardian has many of the same characteristics of an alpine binding but it still performs well in hiking mode. Some of the features that set the Guardian apart are a low profile chassis, a wider oversize transmission and a hike and ride switch that you can easily access with a pole. The flat nose has a 90 degree pivot for better climbing capability and a simplified base plate to reduce snowpack while climbing. The Guardian also features a double freeflex for increased downhill performance and strengthened rigidity for better edge-to-edge power transmission. It has a DIN range that accommodates most skier's levels and body weights." http://www.activejunky.com/thefix/2013-marker-duke-guardian-16-bindings

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 21-11-13 2:41; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now these look interesting for a future full on touring set up http://www.wildsnow.com/11140/fritschi-tech-binding-diamir-vipec-review/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avalanche Poodle, hmmm . . . sensing a bit of undercracker activity in your breathless praise Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll switch to a pin binding for proper touring, the things I have are a compromise between piste and off piste which will do me for general use. I have some SL skis now for really having fun on the pistes.

Seriously, having tested the motion and solidness of these bindings I'm blown away by them. I hated the Fritschis for how they felt, admittedly they were an older pair which were probably a little loose, but would not have liked to take them in the parks and pipes etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I may start knocking on peoples doors in a cheap suit and asking if they want to talk about freeride bindings wink
latest report
Avalanche Poodle, NTN & G3 heel for me
ski holidays
Nice, that's a much lighter way to go. Nearly all of my hiking will be simply to access off piste lines for the next year or so, it'll be interesting to see if the advertised solidness lives up to the hype.
snow conditions
Did you see this guy a few years ago with his NTN+Dynafit=FrankenTele?

http://youtube.com/v/m-1H3BC0rK4
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, He's been updating, I'm on the same path so can tour, tele and be as agressive as I like on alpine. Best of all three worlds. The G3 nose and a second plate along with the TTS tele adaptor will do the same for my other skis and teleboard
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Now these look interesting for a future full on touring set up http://www.wildsnow.com/11140/fritschi-tech-binding-diamir-vipec-review/

More here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103383
snow conditions
Cheers DB Toofy Grin
snow report
At least we are getting some good choices regarding bindings these days... interesting times indeed.
ski holidays
And the Beast thread adds yet another to the mix Smile The Trackers were only £160 new though.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100110&highlight=
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy