Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Transcievers ( + prob and shovel )

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am spending a season in Val D'isere and although not regularly skiing off piste, I have decided to get the full avalanche kit ( excl. abs bag )

Can anyone recommend me in particular one that they have / used which is a good all rounder price wise.

Any particular information re: probe and shovel is also appreciated.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Conveniently I managed to try a few by renting and borrowing from people over a couple of seasons, and after trying the BCA Tracker 2 had pretty much made my mind up - the harness and holder thing it comes with was by far the most comfortable I tried and it seemed fairly intuitive to use.

Picked one up from Snowshepherd a few months ago for a very reasonable price and great service and advice - I needed shovel and probe as well and got lots of advice from them that seemed to be impartial and interested in finding the right product for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm really happy with my BCA Tracker2. It's easy. I like easy, in panic situations. (I almost had to use it in anger last season, but luckily the guy wasn't completely buried. Gets the pulse racing, that's for sure.)

And given that version 3 isn't being released until the following season, it won't feel like it's immediately obsolete.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
got a good deal on blue-tomato.com last year not sure if they have the same deal on
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm also thinking of getting the full kit, how does the Tracker 2 compare to the Ortovox Zoom and 3+? I've had a quick go with the two Ortovoxs, both of which seemed fairly good, though it was in a shop environment so I think there was a bit of interference from other electronics affecting the 'search' phase making it a touch more time consuming.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mistress Panda, Thanks for the recommendation

The Tracker 2 is probably the fastest to use, especially in the final search phase it reacts quicker than the 3+ and the zoom.

The draw back on the Tracker 2 is that multiple burials are more difficult to action, however this a rarer occurrence, the 3+ does have a multiple burial system and flagging which means you can mask one target once found and quickly move to the next.

Shovels and probes? The Ortovox 240 lite pfa is easy to use and assemble, if your after a shovel then the Beast from Ortovox is well made and has an adjustable handle, if your going for fixed handle and lightness then the super light from Mammut is a better bet.

Hope the above helps only too happy to chat over on the phone as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy