Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of trying this telemark lark, in fact reacquainting myself after a few years of not doing it.
About to change alpine skis, so though would plonk some TM bindings on my current Salomon Lord 177 cm skis.
Wondered what the opinion is on length of TM ski compared with normal alpine.
Any views on bindings - 22 Design Hammerhead for example.
Also looking for boots. Current alpine boots are a performance fit size 25.5, normal shoes size 42.

So any points on anything would be welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've kinda let my (poor) tele lapse but I think most people who've used them would point at NTN now if you're in the market for boots and binding together. Tele skis normal length sound fine- you're supporting the same weight on them after all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Fatbob says, skis should be fine, just be aware of the existing screw holes when it comes to fitting a new binding. Go for 75NN boot/bindings if you are on a budget since both new and second hand are cheaper and more readily available than NTN. However, if you can afford it, and especially if you are already in the market for both boots and bindings, I would recommend the NTN for the extra power, control and (step in) convenience. Scott have just taken over the ski boot range of Garmont, and you can still find some heavily discounted Garmont NTN Prophets out there which are identical to the rebadged Scott NTN Voodoo (eg. http://www.telemark-shop.fr/LES_BONS_COUPS-CHAUSSURES-NTN-GARMONT-prophet_g_fit,105,0,p.html). I have a 41+ foot size and ski size 26 Prophets ('race fit' if you like!). NTN Rottefella bindings are made in a small and large, and if you go smaller mondo than this then you will need the small size binding. Best of luck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Probably looking at 75NN gear and s/h to get started. Can't have new everything!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in the same boat.
If you are a full time telemarker then NTN makes sense.

If however you want to telemark for a change of scenery / 2nd discipline then 75mm cable bindings + boots are ideal, cheap + readily available on ebay.
Assuming your background is alpine make sure to get stiffer cable bindings and burlier plastic boot with 4 clips.

Hammerheads are meant to be great.
I have some G3 Targas which cost me 50 quid.
Not state of the art, but they suit my needs perfectly.
Plus it makes a cheap early season 'rockhopper' touring rig for up here in Scotland Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As an alpine skier I'm so much happier with NTN than I was with 75 mm. Way more control. And I'm also a horrible ski hoarder, with NTN I only need one pair of bindings (plus several pairs of mounting plates) so for me not even really any more expensive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
colinstone,
I've got some Rainey Superloops which have been sitting unused in my cupboard since 2004, (when I changed to Karhu 7TMs)

These were the "must have" bindings in the early 2000s - some reviews >here<. These are the latest iteration with the riveted toe bar (as my originals suffered the toe bar failure so were replaced under warranty in 2002), so this pair in reality have probably only had about 2 weeks use. As you can see they have the climbing bail too, for uphill skinning.

I guess I'd only be asking say ~£20 + postage for just the bindings. I have all the mounting & user-guide documents for them too.

NB: Boots not for sale Toofy Grin (just for illustration purposes)

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Geoff,
That sounds great. Was looking at a pair of Hammerheads on Ebay, and the length of boot supported/engaged by the SL binding looks to be the same. Anyway, must be better than the military bindings if used before!!
May be popping down to West Country, so could collect.
Colin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hammerheads are nice because you can control how active (i.e. how strong the resistance is) by moving the pivot points. There are 5 positions, so it pretty much covers the spectrum of less active vs. more active bindings. I'd highly recommend going that route.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
colinstone,
Quote:

May be popping down to West Country, so could collect

Cool - I'll PM you my email.
Quote:

Hammerheads are nice because you can control how active (i.e. how strong the resistance is) by moving the pivot points
Same with the Superloops - 3 positions to locate the cable guide on the side. SLs fit all sizes of boots, using the adjuster on the front bail.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Superloops are essentially the predecessor to HH's. I believe Rainey Designs was bought by (or merged into) 22 Designs
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinstone wrote:
Geoff,
That sounds great. Was looking at a pair of Hammerheads on Ebay, and the length of boot supported/engaged by the SL binding looks to be the same. Anyway, must be better than the military bindings if used before!!
May be popping down to West Country, so could collect.
Colin

I ended up buying those Hammerheads you were looking at as I've just put my Verdicts into Tele use and felt the Riva II bindings on my old skis weren't man enough!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ they weren't!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great that you are getting back into Telemark. You won't regret it !
I got some hammerheads on a pair of volkl mantras last year. Fanbloodytastic. Soooo easy on the crud if not quite as quick edge to edge as a narrower ski. Also bought a pair of Garmont Voodoos and they really kick bottom.
I'm excited for you!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You'll know this but I'll say it anyway. On modern bomber tele gear it is almost as easy to ski alpine as on your ankle breakers, for when your quads get a little tired. Laughing
snow conditions
farlep99 wrote:
Hammerheads are nice because you can control how active (i.e. how strong the resistance is) by moving the pivot points. There are 5 positions, so it pretty much covers the spectrum of less active vs. more active bindings. I'd highly recommend going that route.

Can't wait to mount and try them Smile
latest report
You'll love the hammerheads. Very true what Peter S said about modern heavy tele gear. Alpine turns are almost just like fixed heel gear. I say almost because I think the main difference isn't even the bindings, it's the softer boots. I learned on hammerhead's & still use them from time to time.
ski holidays
I moved to the dark side just before NTNs came in. Cobras and T2s before switching to alpine. Tried a pair of NTNs few years ago and if I was going to free the heel again there would be no question. Absolutely solid, great fun.
ski holidays
colinstone, Hammerheads (or now the Vice) + supportive boots (T1, T2 or the like). Would not use 7TM (or Cobras, Rivas or anything not Hammerhead). My boots fit like a touring boot (so waay more comfortable than alpine). Don't be lured into the lightness is everything ---- Tele in the alps is best done using a lift.

Quote:

I believe Rainey Designs was bought by (or merged into) 22 Designs

Yup - Rainey sold to 22 Designs to pursue another avenue.

There is a club at Hemel which meets throughout the year -- so you can get a floppy heel fix even in July.

geoffers, I have a pair just like that -- ideal with leather boots for a bit of old skool !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy