Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

impressive

Poster: A snowHead
This is impressive..

these guys look to be on 70mm or so skis.

scroll forward to around the 04:30 mark to see the skills... Shocked

SnowSchool Monfafon from robert dupper
http://vimeo.com/26015791
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so i scrolled through to 4.30 and watched some guys skiing, then the learner snowboarder came on and i gave up. I'm going to go get a coffee and try to forget that ever entered my eyes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's ok I guess, I would be more impressed if they were skiing really well on appropriate skis, rather than quite well on ones that are too small.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where's the surprise in that an Austrian ski school demo group can ski pretty well on skinny skis in soft snow.

I'd be shocked if they couldn't.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some nice tidy skiing and good to see a telemarker(s) . . . lots of selective editing and a boarder ripping a bit of bumps. Nice promo vid.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wow - tough crowd.

I simply stumbled upon it, and thought it was interesting.

the reason I posted it it, is that you usually see those kind of mountains with more than 30 cms of fresh by guys on skis 115mms +...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clearly Montafon has a hot tub time machine where you can access the '80s for that Powder 8 poncing. wink

Not sure the skis were super skinny (possibly more of an all-mountain) - what would be more impressive would be seeing them rip "modern" lines on them without bouncing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lilledonmarco, I suppose if you didn't grow up with everyone skiing everything on <70mm underfoot 207cm GS skis it is quite impressive. But for the older ones, it's really what you'd expect from a group like that.

A lovely demonstration that you can have lots of fun with having super fat skis. If you know what you're doing...

fatbob, definitely a pair of Rossi 9S Radicals in there, 70mm according to Skipass.com - but quite wide tips and tails.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
But for the older ones, it's really what you'd expect from a group like that.

A lovely demonstration that you can have lots of fun with having super fat skis. If you know what you're doing...

Indeed although conditions certainly look tip top - you don't shoot your promo vid on a day you're hacking through knee high breakable raincrust in a sleet storm. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, indeed not.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could someone educate me on the difference between "'80s bouncing" and "modern lines"?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomb, radius.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tomb, That one got me too . . . could it be that today we absorb more in the transition than use the turn generated forces to 'bounce' or dolphin out of the turn. Absorbing during the transition will show as a much smoother body movement aka snowboarding. Bit of guessing there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there a reason why this bouncing technique is deemed undesirable? Is it just a question that longer radius turns are in vogue at the moment.....?

I'm currently trying to develop my off piste skiing.... Should I aim to ski the the guys in the above video in the hope that by the time i've mastered the technique it would have come back into fashion?!? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb, Ah just ski'em like you stole'm wink
ski holidays
tomb, Though thinking about what many instructors here seem to say, The more you learn the better your experience in any snow condition so all skills/techniques old and new have their place in your repertoire.
latest report
Masque wrote:
tomb, Ah just ski'em like you stole'm wink

best advice ive recieved on snowheads yet Laughing
latest report
tomb, bouncing is more fitness and energy intensive. Modern skis with more surface area, rocker and all that let you ski much more closely to how you ski on piste so less need to bounce. Although short radius turns and powder 8s aren't cool, it's all about skiing bigger lines faster these days.
ski holidays
...though short radius bounce stuff still has its place in getting fun out of shallow pitches wink
snow conditions
fatbob, dude, you're supposed to be skiing switch to the road!!! Laughing

Getting bouncy is awesome on rockered skis, pretty much airborne from turn to turn.
snow report
tomb wrote:
Could someone educate me on the difference between "'80s bouncing" and "modern lines"?

This (though with added freestyle) - similarly 'good but not pro level good' skiers: http://vimeo.com/75622205

Also demonstrates that 135mm underfoot skis work just fine even when it isn't nipple deep blower pow.

And for a more hardcore option (including what looks like some rather less perfect wind crust), skip to 1 minute something:

http://vimeo.com/76099108

Check out the pillow stuff later on too. Filmed late September I think...
snow conditions
Thanks Lilledonmarco, I enjoyed it! Doesn't always have to be gnarly - good fluid skiing is always a joy to watch Very Happy
latest report
Ok. Finally watched the first 7 minutes or so of this video. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. There was a lot of tail pushing, the "Snowplow" demos were indicative of poor skiing dynamics, and those same weaknesses were visible in all of the other skiing on the video. Fore/aft balance was off, tipping/twisting ratios were low, and their skill levels were generally average for a mid- to low-level instructor. Their "Snowplows" would not pass US PSIA-Rocky Mountain Level I exam for the wedge.

I would suggest you check out this video for a bit more on how the different countries around the world look at skiing. I rather like the Canadian approach (sshhhh! Don't tell the PSIA!)!

http://youtube.com/v/LEGbfm5DUmI
snow report
I rather like the American being felled at 1.36 by the Korean... Laughing
ski holidays
More seriously - The differences are quite apparent, but to what extent are they due to the "school" (and possibly the terrain on which the athletes have got the most training/familiarity) and to what extent it's personal preferences?
ski holidays
Equally, it also shows that although your 'style' may not satisfy the beady eye of your instructor, it doesn't mean it doesn't work. I think there's a gradual move towards more goal based instruction than 'appearance' based. I think this is also relevant to the 80's bounce question. It could be argued that part of the reason the bouncy, nicely parallel SSSS turns came about was because it looked good. It was effective enough, surely, but it was more about looking right rather than a means of 'effective transport'. I'm sure my word choice could be improved, but I hope you see what I'm getting at.
snow report
ssh wrote:
Ok. Finally watched the first 7 minutes or so of this video. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. There was a lot of tail pushing, the "Snowplow" demos were indicative of poor skiing dynamics, and those same weaknesses were visible in all of the other skiing on the video. Fore/aft balance was off, tipping/twisting ratios were low, and their skill levels were generally average for a mid- to low-level instructor. Their "Snowplows" would not pass US PSIA-Rocky Mountain Level I exam for the wedge.

I would suggest you check out this video for a bit more on how the different countries around the world look at skiing. I rather like the Canadian approach (sshhhh! Don't tell the PSIA!)!

http://youtube.com/v/LEGbfm5DUmI

Ehhhh, I wasn't impressed by their skiing, but all the same I wouldn't say they were 'mid to low level instructors', some of them were really pretty handy. I didn't watch the wedges, but I can't believe they would fail PSIA L1, is it even possible to fail PSIA L1?

I like some countries styles more than others, but I am not sure if the Canadians appear good because they have a good system or because JF Beaulieu absolutely kills it. Also the Canadians made those videos and cherry picked the runs a bit (according to a friend of mine who is in the vid).

This is good procrastination for packing, flying tomo and should be on skis by Sunday Smile
snow report
feef wrote:
Equally, it also shows that although your 'style' may not satisfy the beady eye of your instructor, it doesn't mean it doesn't work. I think there's a gradual move towards more goal based instruction than 'appearance' based. I think this is also relevant to the 80's bounce question. It could be argued that part of the reason the bouncy, nicely parallel SSSS turns came about was because it looked good. It was effective enough, surely, but it was more about looking right rather than a means of 'effective transport'. I'm sure my word choice could be improved, but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

That style was popular in the 80s because of function, you had to unweight the skis and rotate them otherwise they wouldn't turn, now our skis are different (tip them and they'll turn) so technique has evolved. There are obviously elements of personal style that contribute to a different look, as well as differing philosophies (and dogma) of technique.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oldmancoyote, you noticed that, too, eh?!

I think you're on to something, as well. I think about the cultural differences, too, with the Asian countries focused far more on body control to the point that their positions often appear contrived versus the French being so fluid as to be almost beyond control. Snow surface varies, too, and what you can do on wonderful and open soft snow is much more flexible than what's possible on hardback...

feef, I certainly agree... lots of things "work," for varying definitions of "work," and so a big part of my focus when I'm coaching a skier is to understand what outcomes they are seeking. Far be it from me to define their outcomes for them (unless they ask!).

jimmer, it's possible in RM, yes. Other places, I don't know. I'm sure they could adjust enough for L I, but not sure about L II without some training.
ski holidays
ssh, just because they do their wedges differently doesn't mean they couldn't change it easily, and my memory of the RM L1 was a much lower standard than these guys. Also, whilst when they put their skiing up on the web they open themselves for criticism (I wasn't impressed either), saying stuff like 'they wouldn't pass L1' is a bit disrespectful.
latest report
jimmer, I didn't say, "*They* wouldn't pass L I!" I said that those "Snowplow" turns wouldn't pass L I. There's a pretty significant difference between those two statements, don't you think?

The point I'm making is that their basic skill demonstrations are lacking. They do not move into the turn, choosing instead to use blocking and artificial weight shifts to accomplish outcomes similar to those used in the '70s on straight skis. These are *not* modern movements or demonstrations of skills applied in contemporary skiing. That's the message. I would not recommend lessons with this school.
snow conditions
jimmer, I also thought that the snowplough turn demos wouldn't pas PSIA L1, and it is possible to fail it.
snow report
Haha, ok, I know it's possible to fail, just thought that that was a bit harsh on them.
latest report
OK more interesting question - is the critique of the Instructors style also a general critique of Austrian/Arlberg technique/methodology?

I've noticed in Austria quite a lot of obviously technically pretty advanced skiers skiing in a very distinctive narrow piste stance. I'd call it very Germanic. Clearly very distinct from things like the CSIA "hunch"

Is this a feature of a very form based learning system?
ski holidays
fatbob, pretty much the same question I have, particularly after looking at the vid ssh posted and seeing the similarities between the Japanese and the Koreans (very closed in posture and damped in their movements).
snow conditions
ssh wrote:
I would suggest you check out this video for a bit more on how the different countries around the world look at skiing. I rather like the Canadian approach (sshhhh! Don't tell the PSIA!)

What, the constipated ape onna bog position or 'My shoulders are to big for this jacket look"? wink
snow report
Whilst this is an interesting conversation, this is also part of the reason that I rarely post vids of people skiing.

Instead of people looking at it, and thinking "yeah, that looks cool, and I hope to ski like that one day/that resort looks cool/etc", alot of these types of threads end up a critique of the technique. The vid is just a promo
snow conditions
Lilledonmarco wrote:
Whilst this is an interesting conversation, this is also part of the reason that I rarely post vids of people skiing.

Instead of people looking at it, and thinking "yeah, that looks cool, and I hope to ski like that one day/that resort looks cool/etc", alot of these types of threads end up a critique of the technique. The vid is just a promo

It's a promo film for a ski school that just wasn't that impressive and showed some quite obvious faults. I though it was fairly average terrain, and I hope I ski better than that, or at least do better snowplough demos, so I wouldn't have commented that it looks cool.

It's also posted in Bend Ze Knees, where we have a tendency to critique technique for some reason. Shocked
snow conditions
Lilledonmarco, I wouldn't have a downer on this thread - there's a bit of interesting stuff to come out of it and most people would love to be able to ski that way even if there are more modern styles. Skiing is meant to be fun so in practice , when most of us are out there we leave the nit picking to the pros and get on with the fun bit. When we're trapped in the embrace of not quite winter we take the wee wee out of some pros.
snow conditions
Lilledonmarco, if everyone just posted 'wow how cool' it would be a dull thread. People can be critical on here, but that's kind of the idea. Would like to see vids from some of the posters in this forum though, sometimes I doubt their internet talk matches their skiing ability.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy