Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Headed to Val Gardena on Monday, skiing across from the Col Rodella. Slopes particularly busy, more so on the Sella Ronda routes, so nice tree skiing with lunch in Santa Christina. Headed back & lapped the Belvedere where the snow has been fantastic. We then proceeded to Après at 3pm in the Rosengarten, missed dinner & stumbled back to hotel at 9pm. 10 hours kip & fighting fit yesterday morning for another first lift Toofy Grin

Yesterday headed to Alba, after recommendations on SH's & a few guys we've spoken to here 10 min bus trip was hassle free, swiftly up the Ciampac cablecar & into a fantastic bowl with some good variance. Snow conditions up there very, very good. Hard pack grippy snow. Lapped that a few times, then dropped towards Pozza di Fassa, again some nice skiing. All a little less challenging, but
good nonetheless. The snow did deteriorate somewhat, and the lower we got, it became very heavy / sticky. We decided to head back towards the Ciampac bowl which was noticeably cooler with the snow still very good.

For 1 euro you can race down the small downhill course - I clocked 37.5 seconds which got an approving nod from the liftie at the bottom Toofy Grin Cool

Late afternoon (3pm...) we decided to call it a day & head down the black under the Ciampac cablecar. The snow remained very good, and hardback with some spring snow on top made for some good skiing!

albob, thanks for the heads up on Alba. Only this season they have introduced a charge for the bus. A two day ticket is 3euro.
Freddie Paellahead, staying at the Hotel Astoria - 4 star, and good. They have a minibus to take you to the slopes each morning which is very efficient!

Thinking of heading towards Corvara today - unless anyone has any recommendations for some challenging slopes - generally north facing!?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liam wrote:
which got an approving nod from the liftie at the bottom Toofy Grin Cool

Everyone does, he has a nervous tic. Laughing

37.5 sec, did you ski it or walk it? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"....Only this season they have introduced a charge for the bus. A two day ticket is 3euro..."

Really? - it was free in February (or did I just 'blag' it without knowing.... Wink )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski, sorry -did I not mention the 100mm waist, twin tip.... Skiing backwards? wink

albob, you did indeed blag it without knowing. Week pass is 6e. Most hotels sell them I'm told. A conductor was on our bus to Alba.

Headed over to San Cassiano yesterday, through Arabba towards Corvara then skied all over Alta Badia which was really nice, rolling blues, little soft patches easily accessed off piste which kept the group happy. The south facing slopes skiing back at 3pm extremely heavy. The missus did threaten to get a taxi back from Arabba, but the 100e price tag put her off! Toofy Grin

I would go as far as saying north facing slopes continue to be fantastic even late on, very surprising considering the temps. San Cassiano at 11am in the sun (12c) Arabba shaded at 3pm (7c).

Hoping to head up the Sass Pordoi for lunch today, it's just shy of 3000m and supposedly the nice restaurant gives out good views! There isn't a piste down, only a ski route. The missus is happy coming back in the cable car, I'm happy with the moguls. Unfortunately a guest in our hotel had an accident coming down on Tuesday Sad and fell over a small rock band Shocked breaking his collar bone. He did finish his days skiing before realising it was a little more serious than he thought! Very Happy

Cue the rock band jokes... Toofy Grin

Another day, and another morning of blue skies. The snow park on the Belvedere is opening today, complete with airbag so I'm keen to give that a whirl. The missus is good to lap the Belvedere bowl so it keeps us both happy.

Those coming out in the next couple of weeks will have ample snow, even with temps this high it'll take months to melt. I doubt green pastures will return before June unless the break up the pistes for the summer season. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Liam, Good posts - we are down the road in Pozza di Fassa done pretty much what you have done. Took a bus to San Pelegrino yesterday and found everywhere a lot quieter as it is a little bit off the beaten track we also skied the area above Moena which has some of the best snow we did the two long blacks in the afternoon, they are north facing and where in great condition at the time we were there. On the first black off the top there was only me and the missus along with an Italian ski instructor and his client, there was a lot of sunbathing going on at the top. Worth also mentioning there is 100km advertised in this side valley.There is a price to pay in terms of time an early start is essential as it takes an hour to get to the top of the pass by bus,but we'll worth it after the busy pistes near the Sella Ronda routes.At the end of the day you can ski down to Moena and take the bus back to Pozza from here it takes some 25 minutes. We are going to ski the Passo Castalunga area tomorrow which is half an hour away from Possa up another side valley.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading to Arabba next week. Hows the weather/snow looking?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was out all last week too - wall to wall sunshine and a whopping 20 degrees on Friday Shocked Cloudy on Saturday so a bit cooler then. Very much spring conditions, though only hard pack till about 9.30/10am due to temperatures. A bit slushy coming into villages, but still good snow cover so everything is open and no bare patches yet.

High up conditions are very good. We went over to Cinque Torri and the snow up there is excellent and it's very quiet once you get away from Laguzuoi. Also good conditions in the Canazei bowl and over at Plan de Gralba. We stayed around Alta Badia on Saturday, and that was surprisingly good too, except at the bottom.

Any south facing hillsides are now looking pretty green, but there is still a fair amount of snow about high up or out of the sun. There was still roof clearing going on, except on one building in Corvara next to the yellow chair which has collapsed on one side Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in Kronplatz which was different, but a bit of a faff getting the bus which doesn't run particularly early or late. However, for anyone staying in La Villa, Pedraces or nearby, it is an easy day out on the free bus if you fancy a change of scenery.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Conditions are rather lovely.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Much as a love the powder, and I am happy to ski in snow storms... that sunshine does look pretty good to me.

How is the snow depth lower down? I'm heading to Selva next week, I assume runs to the valley are still OK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah, yes, good snow depths everywhere. Soft, slushy snow on most aspects by 2pm.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
sah, yes, good snow depths everywhere. Soft, slushy snow on most aspects by 2pm.

Thanks. Slush is to be expected in late March I guess, I don't mind it these days with fatter skis. Even so, it is still prudent to be heading to a terrace bar by that time anyway Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Conditions continue to be amazingly good fun in the Sella Ronda

Lots more Sella Ronda photos from this week on Facebook.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has been snowing albeit lightly since Saturday evening. Whilst vis is not great, snow above 2,000m was pretty good. Lower down the slush kicks in but pistes are fully covered down to 1,200 m - didn't go lower. Not a rock or blade of grass in sight.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Slush is to be expected in late March I guess

The 18th is hardly "late" March.
snow conditions
No slush today, the lads trip I organised to Plan De Gralba (I bust my ACL in Feb so couldn't go) has just enjoyed a day and a half of powder fun
in the 50cms that's just fallen.
They went last Thurs so have had everything from car size moguls in warm sunshine to todays powder fest.
Obviously they kept me in the loop with loads of photos - cheers lads Sad
snow report
Checked the WebCams in Selva this AM (sad I know !) ; they have had a snowfall, just a pity none of the lifts are running...

KronPlatz/Cortina/Marmolada still going tho' Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy