Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Dull! Good grief, you should try the 3 vallies or la plagne !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow again this morning! Made the early morning drive down to Waidbruck interesting. The normal route down to the Bozen side of the valley is closed at the moment. A rockslide I heard. The slopes in the area are in good condition but the mild weather yesterday meant that some of the lower lying, south facing and less steep ones were slushy before lunch - more like April skiing. The Edelweiss valley blue was especially sticky. The colder weather today will help this. Had a great week out there. Especially enjoyed the run down from La Crusc/ s. Croce. Grödnerjoch still looked closed to cars . Recommend the Snowbar at St. Christina for early apres ski. Good crowd, music - if you like German europop - and interesting watching people coming down the slopes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pjd wrote:
................Recommend the Snowbar at St. Christina for early apres ski. Good crowd, music - if you like German europop - and interesting watching people coming down the slopes............

Smile Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pjd, is that the one across the road at the bottom of the Saslong with the St Bernard? Most excellent Cool
Glad the conditions are holding up ok snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, yep, that's the one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Webcams look superb today. Looks like a good week ahead cool, sunny and not too windy. What a season they are having !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to confirm, it has been a cracking day but busier than normal due to it being a Sunday coupled with the good weather = lots of day trippers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pokemon, hows the snow holding up? it hasnt snowed for about four days! wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are heading to Arabba on Saturday and get wait to savour the great conditions. One of the reasons we picked Arabba was its proximity to Marmolada. I know some lifts have been trashed but not sure what this means in practice. Is it the case that you can ski from Arabba to and around the Marmolada area but that you cant ski back to Arabba? Is there a bus service available for the return journey? Has this bus service been enhanced given the closed lifts?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eithnem, I'll try to find out but even my ski instructor here wasn't entirely sure

Liam, another blue sky day and longer lift queues than normal. The Italians all come out when the Sun shines. Had to cut it short today as my wife's knee was hurting quite bad, so will probably go and sit in the sun and have a drink. The snow is excellent as it was very cold last night. Some south facing slopes a little softer but not bad at lunchtime. No fear of lack of snow but off piste may become a little crusty as the week wears on although the forecast seems more unsettled after tomorrow so maybe some more snow
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eithnem, been in the tourist office. You cannot ski from Arabba to Malga Ciapela and hence get up to the Marmolada. The lady said one of the lifts was damaged. Not sure which one though. You can get a bus to Caprile and then another bus from there to Malga Ciapela, ski the Marmolada and then do the bus journies in reverse. Buses are chargeable and will also take time. Sounds too much faff IMO.

Edit: I have copies of the timetables. If you leave Arabba on the 08:17 bus you get into Caprile at 8:57, then you get the 09:13 bus from Caprile to Malga Ciapela which arrives at 09:32. So about 1 hour and 15 minutes assuming on time and not full. If you prefer you can continue to Alleghe and arrive at 09:05 on the bus from Arabba. I think the first bus is 6 Euros and the second 2 Euros.

The Serrai canyon to Sottoguda is also closed and also the pass between Pescul and Fedare is closed preventing anyone doing the Great War tour between Alleghe and the Cinque Torri.

Hope this has helped. The lady indicated the broken lift would be inoperative for the rest of the season.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 24-02-14 17:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pokemon, Thanks - worse than I thought! Does indeed sound like too much faff. Looks like we will have to make do with the other 1150km Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eithnem, As fas as I know, the damaged chairlift is no. 13 at Passo Padon, though I think no. 14 drag is out of action too http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/skimap-2013-14/pan_arabba.pdf
I'm not sure which pistes are open - probably best to check local info when you get there. I'm sure you'll still have a great trip, it's not like you need the additional snow coverage of the glacier this year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eithnem, it will be a bit more of a pain for anyone who decided to make Malga Ciapela their base!
As pokemon and you say, sounds like too much of a faff although the potential advantage is pretty low lift queues from MC up to the top.
If it was me, I'd reckon the loss of the skiing hours outweighs the benefit of an uncrowded Marmolada.

Hopefully the lift will get repaired in the summer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like this is the best week of the season so far weatherwise snowHead
ski holidays
Three days of wall to wall sunshine couldn't last. This morning started sunny but became misty later and now low visibility and snowing, with slopes already having a few cm's by the end of the day. At least it's covering the sandy looking snow that came down in a storm a couple of weeks ago. Seems like this was the same as what happened in other Alipne resorts.
latest report
Saturday could be tricky with 20 cms in the valley and a possible 50cms on the tops if the bergfex model is correct! More snow showing up next week Shocked
snow conditions
Sunny today. Some cloud but not much
snow conditions
Quote:

More snow showing up next week Shocked

Surely you mean Happy ?
latest report
50cm? that's merely a dusting, this year.
ski holidays
I'm heading out in just over a week now. Gotta say I am getting a bit concerned now, I have been watching the webcams for most of the season and it has been mainly un-characteristically dull and overcast all year rolling eyes

Bluebird days on order Very Happy
latest report
sah wrote:
Quote:

More snow showing up next week Shocked

Surely you mean Happy ?

No I think Shocked was correct. snowHead
latest report
Kel, just got back last night. According to the locals it has been snowy and overcast most of the season and this past week has been an exception. We had 3 days of full sunshine and then 3 days of mornng sun and overcast/snowy late afternoons. However I would guess based on averages you should get good weather. The downside of the Sun is that the pistes were busier.
snow report
pokemon wrote:
Kel However I would guess based on averages you should get good weather. The downside of the Sun is that the pistes were busier.

That's my theory too.

Busier pistes I can handle, dull and overcast I can't. Really struggle with definition in any kind of bad light.

Looks pretty damn miserable this morning on the webcams.
ski holidays
We had two days of rain at 2000m+ the week before last. Sad
snow report
Mollerski,
That's not good for mid Feb Sad
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
Mollerski,
That's not good for mid Feb Sad

My gloves, snood and goggle foam didn't go much on it. Confused Had to have a bottle of red at lunchtime to lift the spirits. wink
ski holidays
Off to Arabba on Saturday for a week, looks like a warm week according to the forecasts
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman wrote:
Off to Arabba on Saturday for a week, looks like a warm week according to the forecasts

Ski AM -- Sunbathe PM Smile

Still loads of snow tho'........
ski holidays
albob wrote:
riverman wrote:

Ski AM -- Sunbathe PM Smile

Still loads of snow tho'........

Spring skiing rules apply, don't get up too early (too icy), don't ski too late (too slushy), so, long leisurely breakfast and find a sunny terrace by 2pm Happy

Temps are not that warm, look like normal spring temps, with the base in this area I think it's looking good for a few weeks yet.
latest report
On the ground in Canazei. Great on piste snow yesterday morning, firm packed well groomed pistes & back to back blue skies. Busier south facing slopes did get choppy & pretty heavy early afternoon, but high up (above 2000m) quieter slopes remained in good comdition.

Ski'd around the Belvedere bowl initially, then headed to Arabba and had a blast on the more challenging reds and blacks down to resort, followed by a trip to the Col Rodella above Campitello for a bit more of the same.

Avalanche risk at 3, which is understandable, lots of natural slides on all slopes with the warm weather moving the huge depths of snow around. Some lovely spring snow to the sides of pistes, of the suns had an opportunity to soften things up.

Resort temps reached 14c at around 2.30pm, with it dropping to 3c by 5pm. Big freeze / thaw cycle expected on the slopes this morning, with -5c the projected overnight temp. I can report blue skies again at 6.30am this morning, so more of the same. The Italians do have the knack of keeping the pistes in good nick!

On piste large beer - 5e, suspect the quieter less convenient are less. Après ski in Canazei can be found at the bottom of red 6, which is the only run to resort (?) I believe & subject to a walk out, of 10 mins or so. Weirdly - adds to the charm of Italian skiing. Anyway, breakfast, 8.30am start, ski till lunch, couple of beers, bit more skiing then après at 3.30pm sounds like the order of the day. Will post updates throughout the week. Liam.
latest report
Liam, NOT JEALOUS AT ALL . . . . Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I'd be interested to hear how the lower slopes are holding up in the warm weather... pondering a trip in late March. 14c does seem very warm even for spring!
ski holidays
I'm out there on Thursday for 11 days Very Happy Very Happy

Looking at the long term first couple of days skiing will be bluebird days, but too warm. Then come Sunday the temp drops to stay just below freezing all day.

http://www.ilmeteo.it/pdf/meteo-arabba-252138954897.pdf

Gotta admit I am getting a wee bit excited now
snow report
Kel, glad to hear you feel a bit more excited now. The upside of warm sun is sitting outside and having a long drink looking at the stunning scenery. Have a good time
snow conditions
pokemon,
Oh Yes I can handle warm sunny days.

First lift, get the skiing in for 2pm. Then head for the top of the Portovescovo cable for a long leisurely lunch and a few beers. Then cable car back down to avoid the inevitable carnage. That's the plan anyway. snowHead
snow report
Liam,

Don't forget to check out the Alba area (next village up the valley from Canazei, by free bus) : The bowl and black run back down are on North facing slopes..
snow report
Liam, where are you staying in Canazei?
Yes Alba would be a good half-day trip.
We will be turning to Canazei in January for the fifth time - we stay at the Croce Bianca which as "a bit posh".
snow conditions
Kel wrote:

Hiya, Roomie Toofy Grin

I'm in San Cassiano w/c Sun 16th so I'll look out for you. Should be a good week!
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
Kel wrote:

Hiya, Roomie Toofy Grin

I'm in San Cassiano w/c Sun 16th so I'll look out for you. Should be a good week!

Hi There, I'll keep an eye out for you, if you still have those yellow pants I won't be able to miss you snowHead snowHead

I am staying in Arabba with my son and will definitely be heading over that way. The last time I came here with him 2 years ago, the furthest I got that way on was the top of the Bec De Roces chair. MUCH more snow this year, so hope to see you around.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy