Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Webcam picture from Haus Valentin (Collett's chalet in Badia) today.

Not too shabby, I'd say - make the most of it, you lucky folks in the Dolomites!

I've now edited the live webcam image out to just the link

http://www.starrylink.it/webcam/pedraces/pedraces1M.jpg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 15-02-14 8:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am off to La Villa tomorrow (storms in UK allowing...). A couple of questions, if anyone knows:

The Dolomiti Superski site has been showing the Lagazuoi cable car as open for a few days now, but says "no ski slopes". Does anyone know the current status of the Hidden Vally and if/when it might open?

Does the closing of the Marmolada segment mean that the WW1 tour is also closed (you do not need the broken chair for that, as you head back via Alleghe)? Any chance of it opening?

Not liking the look of the weather on Sunday - looks like rain... Yuk!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like the HV is open -

http://www.bergfex.com/lagazuoi-cinque-torri/webcams/c7424/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm heading out on the 26th for 10 days. Will it all have melted by then? Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hahaha - there's enough to last until June!

actually be interested to see anyone's summer pics from there (rivers in Arabba could be interesting, where they dumped truckloads) - ought to still be remnants as late as September.

assume this lot will drain towards Venice? might be a bit more submerged there in a couple of months.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy, there was already some flooding in the fields on the outskirts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and Venice itself has been flooded earlier in the week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
agw, awesome webcam.

Trying to find out the lift opening hours for Canazei & surrounding Sella Ronda, anyone have a link?

i google lift opening and it refers to the times the lifts are open from the beginning to the end of the season rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
every lift is different time, but probably 08:45 or 09:00 for the main one up the mountain
more importantly, check the closing time of the main link lifts (they do change, and did from one day to the next last week), and note that they list both the last lift time and the piste patrol time.

actually the dolomiti superski open lifts pages does give times for Arabba etc., but not for Val di Fassa
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy, thanks. I've heard some horror stories of people missing the links back, ending in some pretty expensive taxi's back to resort.

i'll have a scoot round the Superski webpage.
Liam.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Liam, yep a few sH have missed the last campolongo lift back to arabba now (possibly reading the piste patrol time as the last lift time?). I've certainly been in the last 10 minutes before, and we were chased off the mountain by piste patrol more than once (last run in to town, so no lift needed, although we have gone UP the lift for one last run with piste patrol too!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HeidiAmsterdam, 8 sleeps for me. Don't wear out the snow in the 2 days before me !!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today's skiing was WOW ! Perhaps the best alpine day I've ever had. Huge snow, not too cold, deep azure blue sky's. Skiied my socks off with the ski host today and we managed a knee punishing 65 k on piste. Almost certainly my biggest day ever.

More snow Sunday Monday. Half term could be very special indeed. Last day tomorrow Sad but looks like snow at home so not all bad news.

Have a great time all you lucky dolly bashers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ sounds great! Snow for Sunday looks less than originally predicted - good!
latest report
Where are you staying pokemon,?

My kids have the Friday free from school as well, so flying Thursday evening, 19.25 to be exact. I have 6 sleeps...

just checked the weather A.gain. Still showing bluebird days for my stay... hope the snow holds its quality, quantity is obviously not a problems.

I shall be more specific next time I order my weather.
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam, we are staying at the Barbara (next to the Alpenrose and opposite the Garni Serena). It's part of the Sporthotel. Ski in and out, although slightly off piste (across a kids playground when there's no snow I think Laughing)

You can see the rear of the Alpenrose and Barbara in the photo below to the right of the car park in the new sector. It's possible to ski out and back to and from the black run. On the way back you hang a right turn off the side of the piste after the small house that's at the side of the piste, that has a snow cannon outside. That house is on the left of the photo. A friend of ours used to live there. Nice inside and convenient for skiing but she had to snowshoe back up at night snowHead

ski holidays
Liam wrote:
agw, awesome webcam.

Trying to find out the lift opening hours for Canazei & surrounding Sella Ronda, anyone have a link?

Did we ever get more precise than 0845ish?
ski holidays
pokemon,

Looks like a fab location! Likely we'll be heading out for our tour about the time you're arriving..but perhaps we can cross paths on the back end? 1 march, or are you already heading out again?
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam, unfortunately we head back to the UK on the 1st March....a week's not long enough Crying or Very sad

What's your tour itinerary out of interest?
ski holidays
Liam wrote:
agw, awesome webcam.

i google lift opening and it refers to the times the lifts are open from the beginning to the end of the season rolling eyes Very Happy

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/dolomiti-superski/weather-slopes/open-lifts .

Click on each individual area for the opening times of the lifts there.
ski holidays
Looks like the Marmolada is open again, you just have to get to Malga Ciapela. Effectively a none linked area
snow report
Oooh, that's a challenge! I think you can get a bus from the bottom end of Cinque Torri to Malga Ciapella. Is it called Fedara? A little minibus thing, I think. Never done it, but it is a part of the WW1 tour.

snowHead
ski holidays
I thought the lift that was out was on the Marmolada side, meaning you can get *to* Malga Ciapela and thus do the Marmolada, but can't get back from Passo Fedaia to Arabba afterwards? You would need a bus to go from Malga Ciapela back round to Arabba... I don't know that there is one?
ski holidays
Scarlet, and the piste from Marmolada and Arabba back in to Malga Ciapela must also have been taken out (probably with lots of tree and rock mixed in)
latest report
Scarlet,

I had read, on the Dutch forum I believe, from someone who was following the Italian forum, that they've but a bus service in back to Arabba - a 45 minute ride...if bus rides are your thing...no idea how often the bus runs, but I suppose there would be some waiting time involved as well.
ski holidays
pokemon,

I don't know my itinerary...it's been organized, and they've said it could change based on weather conditions and open lifts, and Marmolada was meant to be part of the itinerary, don't know if it still is, given recent broken ski lift.

We meet 11 am Saturday morning, and Friday night is our last night together. I've still to book hotel rooms on either side of the tour... can't decide to do cheap, or splurge for a spa hotel..but I'll PM you my mobi number, and you send me yours as well, and we can just PM to see if a coffee, wine or hot chocolate would work out.

I haven't yet met any Snowheads IRL Shocked
latest report
andy, good point, hadn't thought of that. So a bus in either direction at 1h 30 total, I think I'll give it a miss this time. Not too bad if you've got your own transport and can park up at Malga Ciapela though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy,

I had heard it was all open again, just not the uplift back to Arabba...
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Liam wrote:
agw, awesome webcam.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/dolomiti-superski/weather-slopes/open-lifts .

Click on each individual area for the opening times of the lifts there.

Still doesn't give Canazei-Percol gondola times -- only a few lifts have opening times on that list.

Anyway, am now in situ, and can say that the window of the ticket office says 0830.
Didn't pay much attention to last download time, perhaps 1715.
snow report
Hells Bells, awf, thanks for the heads up. 2 weeks on Saturday! snowHead
ski holidays
Just to add a datapoint. This morning was a bluebird day after snowfall. Arrived at the Belvedere gondola in Canazei at 0900 (yes, shame). Horrendous-looking queue (well into the car park), but were in the gondola by 0915.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
andy,

I had heard it was all open again, just not the uplift back to Arabba...

Big "Marmolada closed" signs on all lifts and pistes heading from Arabba to Marmolada today... i.e. doesn't contradict what you've written, but certainly not welcoming to those approaching by lift.
snow report
awf,

Make sure you do the Alba area (up the valley from Canazei) : Nice quiet bowl for a few runs, then over the back to ski down a long red into Pozza ; return to do the black down into Alba.. Toofy Grin
snow report
awf, albob, If you pick up the noddy train from Pozza, you get taken to a two-person lift in a car park. It takes you to another little area with parallel red and blue runs. Nice little off-the-beaten-track adventure.
snowHead
latest report
^ Yeah, but you might want a packed lunch for the old 2 man. Took so long my skis froze Shocked
ski holidays
Excellent day yesterday: bluebird in the morning and hazy sun pm, 10cm fresh snow everywhere, lots of calf-deep, light powder off the sides and bit colder so snow held up well all day. Made the pilgrimage to Santa Croce from Selva - beautiful place to go and great food at Rifugio Nagler but felt like a lot of lifts and not so much skiing - glad we've been there but won't hurry back. Big queues to get back up to top towards Selva from Corvara (c.15min for each lift/bubble) but other than that, didn't queue all day.

Fog/Cloud/Snow today but there is a breeze so there should be some snatches of reasonable vis.
ski holidays
The bluey red under the Santa croce chair is over 2km long and was superb last week with very few people on it. Also the runs down to pedraces on the way back are good in these conditions.

Skied la longia last week. One of the most interesting pistes I've ever skiied. Its 10.5km long. We managed it (a little irresponsibly) in under 8 minutes Toofy Grin
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Skied la longia last week. One of the most interesting pistes I've ever skiied. Its 10.5km long. We managed it (a little irresponsibly) in under 8 minutes Toofy Grin

One of the dullest pistes I've ever skied - it's basically a road with snow on it.

Only saving grace is that i've now found an absolutely fantastic restaurant on it, and will be going back there in March - after all it's only a little deviation from the 'Orange' (Kind of!)
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Peter S wrote:

One of the dullest pistes I've ever skied - it's basically a road with snow on it.

Only saving grace is that i've now found an absolutely fantastic restaurant on it, and will be going back there in March - after all it's only a little deviation from the 'Orange' (Kind of!)

Isn't that the 'James Bond' Piste ? -- you need to use your imagination and pretend you are Roger Moore avoiding the Russian Agents... Madeye-Smiley

That restaurant (the first one?) has the BEST apple strudel in the Alps..........................!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 20-02-14 15:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy