Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet / Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Deleted as I was unable to embed images Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-11-13 17:52; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JUS DEETCH ZEE HELMET

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albinomountainbadger wrote

If you need glasses you could consider contact lenses, prescription inserts for goggles, and goggles designed to go over the top of your prescription glasses.

I wear glasses and don't get on with contact lenses so I always were prescription glasses (reactolite lenses) or subscription sunglasses with a helmet

Grateful for any advice on where to find prescription inserts for goggles and what type of goggles are designed to fit over prescription glasses
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
valleyboy, Ok well 'over the top googles' (OTG) are basically a larger pair of goggles with with a segment of the foam cut to allow the arms of the glasses to pass through. Many makes are available and stocked in pretty much any ski shop, but there isn't the same range as with normal goggles; you'll generally be limited to a black frame and category 1 or 2 lens. Availability is an issue as they tend to sell out the evening of a snowy day as all the prescription sunglasses wearers realise they need better blizzard protection for the next morning. As OTGs aren't 'cool' they tend to be quite cheap.

Negatives: Prone to steaming up; arms of glasses may be uncomfortable in your helmet.

Prescription inserts are available from many brands but I don't know if Brand A inserts will work with Brand B goggles. Google some names such as Smith, Addidas, Bolle and SportsRX to see their own take on doing this. Hopefully someone who owns a pair might comment, although there are already many other threads on this topic eg http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72249 so perhaps start there?

Negatives: Cost; may need your glasses in your pocket for when you take the goggles off!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albinomountainbadger

Thanks, good link to sound advice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One word: Ruroc. They're a Glocester company that makes full face helmets. No mess, no fuss, badass look. I have 2 and LOVE them. Most of my friends have them and none of us can remember a time when we were more comfortable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ruroc? Oh dear.. Was your application to be an extra in Star Wars turned down? Wink

Welcome to SH btw Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

none of us can remember a time when we were more comfortable.
Perhaps when you weren't wearing a helmet at all?

Ruroc - Not really practical with a hip flask, chocolate bar or for quick snog in a gondola are they?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rurocs are pretty compatible with all of that, actually. I suppose you have to weigh 5 seconds of unclipping the mask for all that against pulling down a soggy balaclava scarf disaster. One dude tethered his mask to the helmet so it's even more effective. I mean, you can't knock a Ruroc unless you've spent at least a couple days in one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fwiw, I don't wear a scarf or balaclava. In extreme cold I might put on a buff or similar. Other than that I just do up my jacket on the lift and tuck into it. I much prefer having my face open to the elements in all but the most disgusting conditions.

Then again, I grew up skiing in Scotland, the home of horizontal hail Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowzilla, I take your point about a soggy scarf across the face, but how often does that really happen? In all my years of skiing I've needed some sort of face protection about one day in 15.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Of course, you should never wear sunglasses with a helmet. Then again, I'm struggling to decide which looks coolest......Very Happy

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Without appearing contentious over the wise reasoning of goggles with helmets over sunglasses, I ain’t no fashion model, I've been using Rayzor sunglasses with my helmet for a number of years, had a couple of tumbles through lazy skiing catching edges and crossing tips, no injuries even when I stabbed myself with the handle of my ski stick where the glasses took the full impact.
They are affordable and give good UV400 protection (important) and good in the scratch resistant department and claim to be shatterproof, and they also avoid the pander eye effect. Like the image foxtrotzulu. So I would vote sunglasses. Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw a small boy at Geneva airport a few years ago, who appeared to have some sort of very peculiar birthmark across his face. I felt quite sorry for him, though I did wonder why it was quite so symmetrical. Then I realised you'd get exactly that set of tan lines from a class A helmet that covers your ears and some of your cheeks, a set of goggles and a scarf or jacket that does up to your chin. I hope his parents felt suitably guilty.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy