Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with your phone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you ski with your phone with you, and if so how do you protect it? It makes sense logically as I would want to take some videos and pictures and also for safety- but I don't want my new phone getting smashed up! My jacket here: http://oakleyvault.com/product/uptown-jacket does not have any chest pockets only ones around the waist, which is a shame.
Thanks
Jack Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New jacket rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't fall over rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine just goes in the pocket on my trousers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't land on it! I just ski with mine in an inside jacket pocket and it's not been dinged yet despite crashing pretty hard skiing and rolling a car on the way skiing.

As a more sensible answer a lot of house insurance policies cover phones, computers and the like outside the house so just get it named on that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neck pouch?

https://www.google.co.uk/images?q=neck+pouch
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
haha would rather not get a new jacket as only just bought this one! neck pouch could work well actually, I was also considering one of those big bulky cases?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well as it's a shell, you can put your phone under all the layers you're going to have to wear.

Or bum bag/money belt type thingy
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cricket box Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
get a tougher phone
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Inside jacket pocket, its survived countless ski tumbles and a few days doing foredeck on a racing yacht in force 6 and 7 gusting more in there!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski trouser pocket...never seems to get mangled there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've a Griffin Survivor case for my phone. Would recommend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Coat pocket, no extra protection, no problems as yet other than I usually seem to get a bit of condensation on the screen.
ski holidays
Inside jacket pocket for me too. If trouser pocket, not with anything else - snapped a lift pass a few years back having it in trouser pocket with a key when I fell, so image a phone would have suffered too. Wrap it in your hat in your pocket to give some padding? Obviously your hat won't be on your head as you're wearing a helmet...
latest report
http://www.heinnie.com/Bags-and-Wallets/Loksak/AStorage-Bags/p-281-852-6217/

Try one of these partially inflated. I keep my phone in one when skiing as it makes handling it with a gloved hand easier. Totally waterproof and phone can be used through bag. I keep my phone in an inner pocket and as I only wear a baselayer under my jacket it is protected from condensation.
snow report
Would putting the phone inside a sandwich bag in my jacket pocket work? My jacket is a 20k mm waterproof soft shell i think is this enough to protect the phone from water damage?
snow conditions
JackSkier, yeah i do that when i go cycling if i think it's going to rain. Works a treat.
snow report
I have a otterbox defender case for my phone and intend to put it in a ziplock bag and I'll probably put it in an inside pocket.
ski holidays

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
My Galaxy S3 is wrapped in a Case Mate Tough case. It makes the slim device quite bulky but it has been dropped, kicked, sat on, and all other sorts of abuse but it is still in perfect working order.
snow conditions
Get one of these:

http://mybunjee.com/shop/
latest report
JackSkier, losing the thing, for example out of an unzipped pocket, or trying to use it on a lift, is probably the worst risk. Any fall in which a phone in your pocket, in a protective case, got damaged would probably leave you with greater worries than the state of your phone.
ski holidays
inside jacket pocket, had loads of crashes and never damaged the phone (or had the phone damage me).
snow report
My phone just goes in one of the side pockets of my jacket - its not a very fragile phone though as although only a year old its the type that you open up to answer, and it doesn't do anything fancy like taking photos. Bought specifically for use in France and for skiing.
latest report
I tend to ski with my skis. The phone is not very stable at speed...

Oh. I see what you did there. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mine goes in a side pocket of my jacket. I've never been worried about it. I guess that might be different if it was new and expensive!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, +1. Never worried about my phone. Put it inside pocket and forget about it. Safe and sound even when I fall over/stack it completely.
latest report
Take phone and shove it in your pocket.

Sometimes I fall over, sometimes on plastic slopes, and probably faster than most, but I've never broken a phone or a camera on or off piste. Yeah, sometimes I ride in conditions which can be quite wet.

Gear needs to be used, not mollycoddled.
snow report
Phone in trouser pocket, never bashed it, but it does get a little bit of condensation sometimes. The only disaster I've had is when a phone died after a ski trip and they said it was water damage. The only thing I can think of is that it got wet when I used it when it was snowing.
snow report
Mine always goes in jacket pocket. I had more problems with it getting damp from sweat than being bashed.

My new one is waterproof (Sony Z1) Smile
snow report
Most of the time I don't get my phone out of its cosy pocket and some of the time it's left in the apartment. It doesn't lead a hard life. wink
snow conditions
Trouser pocket. I don't have a compact camera. My iPhone takes an ok holiday snap. Never had a problem.
snow report
pam w wrote:
JackSkier, losing the thing, for example out of an unzipped pocket, or trying to use it on a lift, is probably the worst risk. Any fall in which a phone in your pocket, in a protective case, got damaged would probably leave you with greater worries than the state of your phone.

My comedy size Samsung note 2 has a hard shell case. I carried it in an inside pocket. ..till I bruised a rib at Christmas. So to those who say they've fallen countless times without hurting themselves I'd ssy it depends how you land. Back to a bum bag for me on my last trip.
snow conditions
i went skiing once with someone who took their phone when out skiing, he was a manager of a business, and his phone was ringing every 5 mins, and of course he had to answer it, i got really fed up with this and we had a huge argument, i told him he was on holiday and should leave work at home, and that if he cant trust his staff to cope without him then he shouldnt have a holiday, he just told me to mind my own business and **** off, so i did, i dont mind people taking phones out in case of emergencies and for photos, but how can you enjoy skiing if your constantly answering the phone and worried about things back home.
ski holidays
Motorola defy; shockproof, waterproof plus otter case
snow report
I have my phone in one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Universal-Insulator-Smartphone-Devices-Tartan/dp/B00A7QZ3LS?tag=amz07b-21

softens the outline - hard to imagine it injuring me in a chest pocket, though anything's possible. I did get quite a nasty bash on the back from a thermos flask in a backpack - spring picnic time. Broke the flask, too. I'd prefer to avoid hard shell cases and big phones (completely irrelevant, but my nephew lost a Samsung Note here at Christmas).
latest report
I've got a shiny new expensive phone. I shove it in my trouser pocket. If it breaks, it's done a pretty decent job protecting my hip/leg.

I class myself as more important than my phone.
ski holidays
compostcorner wrote:
i went skiing once with someone who took their phone when out skiing, he was a manager of a business, and his phone was ringing every 5 mins, and of course he had to answer it, i got really fed up with this and we had a huge argument, i told him he was on holiday and should leave work at home, and that if he cant trust his staff to cope without him then he shouldnt have a holiday, he just told me to mind my own business and **** off, so i did.

I'd have told you to **** off as well rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy