Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some holidaying questions.

Poster: A snowHead
So trying so hard to be organised for my trip in January, and as I havent done this before and have a couple of questions have cropped up that Im wondering if anyone on here can help with. We are going to Chatel, France, 3 adults and 2 kids (3 and 9).

In Chatel there a park with ramps etc, think its called smoothpark, is there additional entrance cost to this, as cant find anything about that anywhere?

Are there any mandatory items that I need to carry while skiing with me?

With the 3 year old I was planning on just teaching her a bit myself. In Chatel is there an area minus the ski lifts that I am able to do this? I dont think she is big enough to get on a ski lift. And if there is an area for that what sort of price is it?

If any one else has been to this area and has any advice they can give then please do tell. Smile

Thanks again. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mistral_ski, Smoothpark is at Super Chatel and is free. A fun boarder (or ski) cross alongside it. Usual rails, boxes, jumps etc ( can't myself imagine what the interest is (though my son loved it). Accessible by two of the drag lifts.

If your 9 year old will be on the smooth park (I'm guessing it is not for you Toofy Grin ) then there are plenty of small person friendly areas including a rope tow that you can skate up quicker than the rope goes and a very mild drag. I think at 3 they get a free Chatel pass.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If Off-Piste I'm sure there are a host of recommended items - I don't know enough to advise

On piste - well some people have phone, money lift-pass, that's probably the only essentials. With kids I will also ahve spare gloves, first aid kit for minor bumps, hats, tissues, drink, snacks etc as well
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mistral_ski wrote:

A rucksack full of beer or a hip flask is mandatory in most resorts, big fine if your caught without one or the other Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're skiing with kids and they are anything like mine then carry some chocolate, the cold and skiing combined seem to sap their energy quickly and a quick injection of chocolate revives them (and I'm a dentist and usually look horrified at such suggestions Shocked )
I usually have a smal rucksack with spare gloves and maybe a thin fleece for them as they will moan if they get cold
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

lift pass, but I cannot think of anything else
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. For the tips. I am planning on the other half carrying a ruck sack so will defo add some snacks in there.
The kids are 9 and 3. I think the 9 year old will prob like the park, but was asking for me. Hahahaha.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mistral, if the other half isn't a very good skier I would think hard-ish about how much stuff you put in the rucksack - it can really mess up your balance.

Assuming you have never been skiing before I would advise that you carry a piste map and make sure that you know your way back down and are aware of what times the lifts shut.

It may not be an issue if you are not very experienced, but you don't want to ski down to point X planning to get the last chair back over the ridge to home and find that the chair has shut down for the day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mistral_ski, Do not over estimate how quickly a 3 year old will tire, and how little a 3 year old can control his/her body and respond to instructiions. A couple of hours at most on the snow will be enough. You will not be teaching skiing, but having fun in the snow together.

Make sure you put the emergency piste patrol number in your phone before you set out - it is usually found on the piste map. 99% of times you won't need it. But if you do...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

So trying so hard to be organised for my trip in January, and as I havent done this before

Have you skied before? If not, are you planning on getting lessons, or just figuring it out on the mountain?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I ski a lot, I've been on snow also once about 16 years ago so remember a little
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mistral_ski wrote:
I ski a lot, I've been on snow also once about 16 years ago so remember a little

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Care to clarify?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bagginsmum, Hello missus!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

mistral_ski wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Care to clarify?

I think he means he's been on a snowboard once about 16 years ago.

Don't think English is mistral_ski's first language and a lot of French people refer to snowboarding as "le Snow" for short.
latest report
Sorry. I am English. Just a bit lazy at typing when I'm on an iPad. And I'm a she Smile
ski holidays
Hi dbaskls! Funny where you meet other board buddies!
snow report
mistral_ski, just to confirm at most ski resorts kids are free until 5, sometimes 6 (Paradiski).

I've never been to Chatel but we went to places with "conveyer belt" type lifts on a diddy slope. Great for real little uns. Also, ironically, cable cars work quite while as they are easy to mount and dismount. So if there is any of those with nice cruisy blue runs down, again that works well for 3/4 year old. Slow drags are obviously OK too. Chairlifts are more tricky. Quite a lot have a little ramp that is on the side where the lift attendant stands. The ramp helps them and often the liftie will help them on for you.
snow report
There is a road (green run) served by the Pierre Longue chair at Pre La Joux which would be ideal
snow conditions
Quote:

Slow drags are obviously OK too

Hmm. Depends. Not if a child falls off at a spot where it's a trek back to a pisted run. And you have to get off behind them and get you both back to the piste. Been there, done that, across a pretty flat area of crud. Hard work.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Slow drags are obviously OK too

Hmm. Depends. Not if a child falls off at a spot where it's a trek back to a pisted run. And you have to get off behind them and get you both back to the piste. Been there, done that, across a pretty flat area of crud. Hard work.

It's called 'character building'

I learnt to get myself across the cruddy flat bits as a kid, and soon learned not to fall off in the first place. And this was in Scotland where they have double black diamond pomas Smile
snow report
Quote:

And this was in Scotland where they have double black diamond pomas

I consider mysef to be pretty a-ok at drag lifts on my snowboard - my god those scottish ones are difficult!
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Not if a child falls off at a spot where it's a trek back to a pisted run.

I was thinking of ones where that isn't the case for the reasons you state. For a 3yo it would have to be fairly short and flat, if they are to travel on there own.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy