Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ever happened to Fun Carvers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What ever happened to Fun Carvers? I remember around just after the time these new fangled "parabollocks" skis arrived that made our turns look good in or around 1995 there was a rush of extremely "side cut" shorter versions versions which where a gas to ride and would carve extremely unpredictably tight curvy turns.

I just haven't seen or heard of them this millennium.

Has anyone got a pair stuck in the back of the shed ... along with an old "mono ski"?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You mean like this?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/239850-The-Future-of-Skiing-%28vid-of-skiboard-carving-14-31%29
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This looks fun.
Despite the face plant at the beginning which put a smile on his face, he looks pretty good. Certainly enjoying himself.
http://vimeo.com/41055510
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fun carvers were an extreme fad that never really hit the mainstream as they were too extreme for mainstream punters. Having discovered sidecut the ski industry rapidly went overboard on designs that were all sidecut and few punters had the skills to handle such skis properly (struggling, as they were to get to grips with these new spoony skis that wouldn't run in a straight line). Plus ditching the poles was a bit daft and versatility of such skis was greater reduced.

I think even companies like Elan admitted that having got into it as pioneers they got too far into it and it effectively killed their business for a while IIRC.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They were a bit of a bitch too if you were scush trying to get as far as possible as fast as possible, going nice speed, then accidently catch an edge, spectacular display for anyone watching. Laughing Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
biddpyat, "scush" Puzzled Puzzled

They were a particularly dumb idea.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi guys thanks for answeing the post
ssh I'm not sure if they are the same thing ... I was thinking of something with a more radical waist ... but they do look like fun and thats what its all about!
Serriadh Utube have stopped us from looking at that link .
nwhitta These do look like fun ... but they are more of a fat "blade" .. but that guy does have talent!
fatbob You must remember what I'm going on about ... I cant remember all the models I know I enjoyed something by Salomon called "AXE" .. but they have used that name on other skis too.
biddpyat I know I had my worst crash on them .. I rented a pair to liven up a day at the top of a gondola in Solden .. I only maged to get halfway down a narrow bit when I crossed into the path of a fast now border not expecting me to being doing such sharp curves.

I sometimes use my wife's skis which are on 123cm Atomic ETL ... I get a bit of a rush from them.

PS ssh ... I aint going to the Kicking Horse gig now a serious ilness has occured in my hosts family ... I'm just praying for a miracle.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh wrote:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/239850-The-Future-of-Skiing-%28vid-of-skiboard-carving-14-31%29

Or even http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/239850-The-Future-of-Skiing-%28vid-of-skiboard-carving-14-31%29

Fun carving = slalom skis not unpredictable unstable snowlerblades with giant sidecut.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure what "fun carving" is. I always thought naming things like that was a bit of a cheat, like claiming something's funny, which is not really something the originator can tell you. Windsurf had the "fun board", which probably wasn't fun.

Can't see the fascination with two planks myself, but my mate Gary will sell you a radical pair and I'll probably get a beer out of it:
http://www.garywayneskis.com/ (plenty of videos there if you need to see how they work).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry narc test that link ... it is just shut down to me.

philwig as fatbob they were a bit of a fad when we found out that it was easier & possible to carve a ski around than all that up & down "un-weighting" that our grandparents had to develop when they used skis as flexible and easy to ride as railway lines or Volkl PS10s

Changing the subject slightly ... I've got a pair of skis in the shed that I havent used since 1996 ... Volkl "Snow Rangers" ... I loved em till I rented a pair of Atomic Beta carvers one day, and my whole world changed.
I think I'll go and check the length ... I think their a nice handy 190cm.
I never tried to carve with them but they have a very parabollic waist. Perhaps I'll take them down to Hemmel.
As Canada aint on the menu now. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just found the old Volkl "Snow Rangers" again ... they are 190cm... but they are not parabolic by any means ...
But they have got those once trendy sharp winkel picking points on them!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy