Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Massif Tips and Tricks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Me an my family are going to the Grand massif over new year, staying in samoens, anybody stayed there? What is it like, what is the skiing like in the area (heard it is amazing)?

Also i am big into the ski resort ambience so anybody who has stayed in samoens or morillon was there snow on the ground in the villages as we often stay higher up?

Thanks Laughing Blush
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoyton1, I stayed in Samoens a few years ago - or rather I stayed in a chalet up the hill towards the older of the two bubbles.

It rained in the village but snowed on the mountain.

The village is quite nice, pedestrianised with some nice restaurants but being so far removed from the skiing detracts for the 'ski resort ambience' that you mention (I love that too)

The ski area is impressive, but even in quite a snowy February we couldn't ski back to resort (although down-riding the bubble was no hardship). I loved the Samoens / Carroz / Morrilion skiing but disliked Flaine and its contrived treeless bowl. Marvel is officially the worlds best green run so enjoy that.

Frankly it's not a resort I'd pick at NY as the queues for the main Samoens bubble are tedious at the best of times so Lord knows what they'll be like then. But once you up - all good... snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Samoens last March during the Paris school holiday week and we didn't have any problems with queues for the gondola at all. Samoens is a proper all year round village, much nicer than the purpose built monstrosities that the French seem so keen on.

If it's open then the run down from Flaine to Sixt is lovely. A few flat bits but it gives you a nice feeling of being out in the mountains. If you do thar run in the morning the ski Sixt in the afternoon. The two chairs there are very slow but the pistes are consequently very quiet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have skied in the area quite a bit over the last few years and rented a place in Les Carroz for a couple of seasons so got to know it well.
Samoens is very pretty, but as you know, it's not ski in ski out. Don't believe the hype re 265km of piste-some of those are below 1100m and don't have snowmaking. It's unusual to be able to ski to the lowest parts of Morillon, Samoens (including Vercland) and in Sixt in early Jan-requires a shed load of snow. Likewise Cascades is unlikely to be open then. So...fraid you will have lifts up and down the mountain at the beginning and end of the day (I am assuming you are in Samoens itself). Maybe this year they will get a huge dump and prove me wrong....

The skiing IS lovely and great for intermediates. The blue run Sairon down to Morillon Les Esserts is always a joy, and a hot choc and crepe at L'Beu just above the lift station is one of the better value on mountain stops. The runs down Les Carroz-either the blue Combe, or the red Timalets, through the trees are great too.
Flaine, yup, architecturally it's not exactly full of alpine charm. It is not treeless however, it has lovely trees on the lower quarter/third of all the slopes! The run down into Flaine can be a pain from the Samoens/Morillon side-Tourmaline-on a busy day, but once you are there it's great (and in New year will be busy unfortunately). First thing in the morning, it should be fine.

If you ignore the resort, Flaine has very attractive skiing. The pistes over by the Fun Park or Jam park (or whatever they call it) tend to be quieter. However, our favourite run was Serpentine-a real blast from top to bottom. Over New Year, you may find not all the lifts open in the right hand side (as you look up the mountain)-it depends on the snowfall-and that side of the mountain is rockier so takes more cover.
Other good spots for a bite to eat-Molliets restaurant at the bottom of Molliets run. It's also accessible with a bit of a walk up from Portet-another great tree run, thought the top end involves some poling. We like L'Igloo near the top at Morillon (gets busy but turns tables quickly), and Le Milk Hotel just before the bottom of the red Timalets into Les Carroz.
If you are more adventurous, then there are more challenging runs, but be aware that in the Flaine bowl the top half is a big limestone pavement with deep holes, and you should not really go off piste unless you know where you are going. Elsewhere there are good areas for getting away from the main drag.
If it is open, do take the black down the Gers Bowl and schuss/ pole to the Gite di Gers by the Lac de Gers for a fantastic lunch. An awesome spot! They will then snow mobile you back to the drag lift, or if it is open, you can ski the bottom half of Cascades.
I can't imagine what the queues will be like in Samoens first thing in New Year week (probably awful). If you can get out early enough to get on the lifts before ski school, then you life may be bearable.
In Flaine, to get to the top, I would avoid the Grand Platieres gondola, and take the fast Tete de Verds chair followed by Desert Blanc.

Have fun!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for the green run "Marvel". A group of us that included some thrill seekers were happy to keep doing laps of that run. Added bonus of L'Beu that Perty mentioned as well being very close to the end of that run.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whoyton1, I have been to the GM 6 times, its a great ski area IMO, have stayed in Flaine, I am one of the few that likes the architecture, the buildings blend in to the mountain when viewed from above. I would add to Perty, Mephisto from the top of Flaine is a great run back to the centre, you can also do the lower part from the 4 man bubble. Crystal runs alongside Serpentine, do both if you can, and Faust from the top of the DMC down to the Diamond Noir Chair is great. Best place for food in Flaine on the mountain is Le Bissac, its near the Grand Vans chair, you will pass it as you come down in to the bowl off Tourmaline, its self serve and does a great Tartifillete for about 14 euros, big enough to share between 2.

The red and blues that run from Tete de Sixt in Samoen 1600 are good fun.

I finally got to do the Cascade on my last visit in 2012, and have to say was not overly impressed with it, first bit was OK, but after 2-3km it becomes a blue road, I felt it was a lot of effort for not a great deal of skiing enjoyment.
Perty, is right, take the 2 chairs rather than the DMC to get to the top, much nicer being in the fresh air, and generally less ques to get on, you can get to the Diamond Noir chair from the top of the Tete de Verds, I think they are upgrading the Diamond Noir as it was a fairly slow 2 man and can get a bit congested a busy times. Enjoy your trip, I would be back in a flash if we could still get the kids club childcare that Crystal used to do at Le Totem.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just considering booking a chalet in Savagny for Feb half- term. Apparently right at the bottom of the cascades run so in theory can ski back. However two of my kids are boarders & vehemently opposed to 'flat bits. So this might not work for them? If not, how easy is it to get back to Savagny from Samoens?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.lesalvagny.com/hiver/lerelais.html#acc - Le Salvagny I guess?

Cascade not recommended as a regular home run especially for boarders due to flat spots and often closed a) after dumps b) not enough cover in last few 100ms of vertical - the bottom of the run is about 800m altitude. So you would have to ski home via Saomens and then 15 min bus (not sure last one ).

Its a beautiful little hamlet, best for toddlers, self catering, magical views, v v v limited skiing, bus out to samoens every day then lifts up to the domaine. Also tiny for any evening activities etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course if you had a car, all different, strike out to Samoens, 15 mins away for the evenings, stronger skiers/boarders can return via Gers/Cascade as a bonus if open (still quite some poling/flat/climb). Difficult without the full picture re the kids ( always red "boarders" = teenagers Toofy Grin though!!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mishmash, quite right excuse rubbish spelling. As I suspected re: the home run, believe there is a minibus that will collect us from Samoens & we will have cars. The boarders are stroppy teens & don't like anything that's not steep.

Anybody have any views on GM half-term queues? Have found the larger areas in France (PdS, 3V, Paradiski) have been ok in recent years.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
head_like_a_rock, I'm not sure where Savagny is but if it's close to Sixt (bottom of Cascades) then there's no uplift into the GM area so you're better off in Samoens although that's still not ski in-ski out if you want that. Flaine might be soul-less but you're straight onto the pistes with full ski-in ski-out. So, from an accessibility point of view, Sixt is worst, Flaine is best but Samoens is prettiest. Les Carroz isn't too bad either but Morillon is rather low. I've always stayed in Flaine for convenience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Although I like blasting around Flaine in the morning before the crowds arrive from the rest of the GM, my favourite area is the tree lined runs above Carroz.
Usually the snow is good and the pistes are quite quiet
Also enjoy the area around Morillon for the same reason
Have to say that I personally avoid the Samoens area as I find the runs open and a bit boring although I've never managed to get down to Vercland due to poor snow
The lifts in this area are also a bit slow compared to other parts of the GM
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="head_like_a_rock"]mishmash, The boarders are stroppy teens & don't like anything that's not steep.

[/quote

Well they should luuuurve the Gers Bowl - but will they also love the longest button lift in the world back up??

Cant comment on the queues, only seen it from the Flaine side where they are reasonable - with the major exception of the last hour up the Grands Vans which is the main link lift out ( and therefore the one you would be taking if not going via Cascades ) where I have seen Huuuuge queues. as I don't have to take it I don't know how long they last -but the Tourist office even sometimes has a Busking-style tribute band playing to keep everyone cheery. Its a fast 8 man chair, but still seem maybe 600 people queuing for it?

Maybe look at Sameons or close by as you will be transiting through there a lot.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd agree with Janner's comments. We stayed in Les Carroz for a week last season and loved the skiing in Les Carroz, Morillon and Flaine. There is a lot of variety between the three resorts. We were disappointed with the skiing above Samoens and found Samoens 1600 more of an eyesaw than Flaine. Samoens itself is a lovely village.

Whoyton1 - I'd certainly recommend taking your family over to Morillon and Les Carroz early in the week. There are lots of pretty tree lined runs (in all colours) and some nice mountain restaurants. Our favourites were L'Anifionne, L'Clair and the Igloo. I've also heard good reports about the creperie at the bottom of the Marvel but haven't yet been to it. If your kids are in ski school it will be hard for you to make the most of Flaine. We were lucky that our children ended up in a group by themselves with a lovely instructor who delivered them to us up the mountain at the end of their lesson. Choose your day carefully for skiing in Flaine and don't leave it too late to come home. When we were there the Grands Vans lift back from Flaine broke down for some time and it started snowing heavily and we had an exciting journey back snowHead snowHead ...did make it back on skis in the end.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy