Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What can you recommend for an intermediate skier wanting all-mountain skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys my 3rd post and first thread, I am a confident skier and looking for my first pair of skis, I will be trying out the Rossignol 88's and Line Prophet 90's is there any others I could try that are good for on and off piste/all-mountain? later I might pick up or try a pair of Soul 7's and if better for off piste then get a pair for that when or if I decide to ski mainly in the POW. Thanks for any replies, look forward to seeing you around.

Daza.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a cheap deal on Fisher Watea 88 at the end of last season. I've only skied them one week but I love them. Very easy to ski on all kinds of snow. I think somebody is selling a pair of Wateas on Snowheads just now, might be worth a look.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the heads up appreciate it. But I live in New Zealand and was organising a few to try out up on Mt Ruapehu at the start of next season so I will definitely mention these too. Thanks. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Movement Jam is my all mountain ski. Worth a look
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Movement Jams or Armada TSTs are probably worth a try if you can find some. Both suprisingly good on piste for such fat skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll keep saying it... K2 Impacts should be on your short list for trying out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks will check them out, I find that You Tube has great reviews to watch on the snow. Is there a website maybe you could recommend that has a huge range of all mountain skis for intermediates? Another question how do I know what level of skiing I am accurately at? I feel like either in the middle of being intermediate to advanced intermediate....I think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I recently had the chance to test a few pairs of skis at Castleford. Considering I was testing all mountain/powder skis it wasn't exactly the ideal location, but at least it allowed for a direct comparison and gave me a chance to get a 'feel' for each ski. To be honest, knowing that they will all perform in pow I found it quite useful to see how they each handled on the slushy indoor 'groomer'. I based my ranking on carving, playfulness and manoeuvrability around the moguls. I'm an intermediate/advanced skier who loves speed but I'm not a hard charger as such.

Ranking: Rossingol Soul 7, Rossignol Super 7, Scott Lola, Atomic Elysian, Blizzard Black Pearl, Armada TST, Armada JJ, Armada AKJJ (195 Shocked - crazy fun but not for piste!)

My recommendation would definitely be the Soul 7. It just felt amazing. I couldn't stop grinning. Plus all the reps, not just the Rossi one, were recommending it to me for an all mountain jobby! I've heard they're good for any level of skier because they just make you feel so confident. Ordering my pair this week ... or maybe the Super 7. They were both so awesome.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that yeah I had been looking at those too the soul 7 and considering I want to ski more off piste I will give them a demo what length would suit me given my size and skill level? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's your size? Sorry I'm pretty new to Snowheads so if you've got it on a profile or anything I don't have a clue how to see it. I happily skied the 178cm Soul and Super and I'm 5'9" and 140lb. However, when I was browsing Google I saw that a lot of guys that were bigger and heavier than me had chosen the same length. Maybe have a Google and see what other people of your size went for?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I too found the Soul 7s awesome on an indoor slope - at Milton Keynes in my case. They were totally predictable and under control in all circumstances. No way did they fell like 106mm wide. I am intending to buy a pair for all mountain use.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've also heard good things about the Soul7, lots of cracking reviews and it just won the ISPO award: http://www.ispo.com/award/en/All-Sports/WINNER-2013/PRODUCTS/SKI/SKI-OFF-PISTE/ROSSIGNOL
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
there is a soul 7 thread somewhere on snowheads with a list of reviews of the soul 7. Rossignol's website gives recommended lengths. I am 5'9 and about 177 lbs and tried the 180cm length. They did not feel as long as they looked because, I guess, of the rocker. The next down is 172cm, which would be too short for me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice. Ruapehu is my home mountain.

For those unfamiliar with Ruapehu, its a volcano on a volcanic plateau. It gets blasted by high winds and on days can glisten blue with Ice. When there is powder it tends to be heavy. Personally I'd go for something stiff, not too wide, positive camber. Not going to pimp Whitedot even though one particular model was designed with Rupehu in mind (must not spam) however from experience something like a Volkl Mantra would be ideal.

Loads of shops in Kune or National Park will do demos.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dot. wrote:
Nice. Ruapehu is my home mountain.

For those unfamiliar with Ruapehu, its a volcano on a volcanic plateau. It gets blasted by high winds and on days can glisten blue with Ice. When there is powder it tends to be heavy. Personally I'd go for something stiff, not too wide, positive camber. Not going to pimp Whitedot even though one particular model was designed with Rupehu in mind (must not spam) however from experience something like a Volkl Mantra would be ideal.

Loads of shops in Kune or National Park will do demos.

Hi I am planning on seeing Edgehi(Sam) at Edge to Edge under the Skotel behind the Chateau, do you know the place? I only ski Whakapapa and want to try all the off trail runs, as well as all,the groomers first. Woud soething like the Soul 7 not be very well suited to all the runs? and the others I mentioned like the Line Prophet 90 or 98 and Rossi Ex 88, what in your opinion would be better suited to the conditions of the snow found up there? Assuming you have been all over the Mountain of course, I will look into the Volkl Mantra too. Thanks, when are demo days?
ski holidays
holdix wrote:
What's your size? Sorry I'm pretty new to Snowheads so if you've got it on a profile or anything I don't have a clue how to see it. I happily skied the 178cm Soul and Super and I'm 5'9" and 140lb. However, when I was browsing Google I saw that a lot of guys that were bigger and heavier than me had chosen the same length. Maybe have a Google and see what other people of your size went for?

Hi I am new here too, my size is 5'10/11" (180cm) tall and 209lbs (95kgs) sill level upper intermediate maybe.
latest report
Daza152, No I don't know Sam personally. Roy Turners (snowzone) in NP has to be a good option and they stock loads of skis mentioned on this thread including the Soul7.

I miss Whakapapa a lot. most fun I've had sking was out West but even short hikes to the crater are great and there are some great spots above knoll ridge.

If you call RAL, I'm sure they'll let you know when there are demo days up the hill.
latest report
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rossignol.com%2Ftzr%2Fscripts%2Fdownloader2.php%3Ffilename%3DLABELS%2FPICTO%2F34%2F03%2FRU.4jwtr9igynv9%26mime%3Dapplication%2Fpdf%26originalname%3Dsizing_chart_rossignol_12-13_English.pdf&ei=efZzUpmFBcer2AXFsICgBQ&usg=AFQjCNH7AjbRwWgPa43tZ7PkKzy2GA66Nw&bvm=bv.55819444,d.b2I

Here you go Smile The Rossi sizing chart. Take it with a pinch of salt - if you're tall or have heavy gear you can get away with a longer length, hence why the Rossi rep said the 178/180 is better for me than the 170/172.
snow conditions
The ones on chart would make it a 188 cm soul 7 and the Experience 88 186 cm, would need to try them out first seems very long??
snow report
Hi, if your looking for an all mountain ski and you feel like you are a decent skier, you would be much better off with a pair of mid to high stiffness skis that are not over wide. I have Atomic SX12 at 169cm, these are a very stiff ski and are mainly suited for on piste and carving but also ski well off-piste. I have skied and enjoyed all terrain on these skis. I also have a pair of the wider Line off piste style skis and although they make off piste a little more effortless they are awful on piste! Unless you are a full on free-rider I would stick to the 'normal' style of ski, they can be extremely versatile and a lot of fun all round! If I were to recommend a model it would be the Head i. range. I live and work in the Alps and have a lot of experience with skis, hopefully I could offer you some help here!
snow conditions
Head i range? Thanks for tip.
latest report
Might be worth you having a look at the baby Whitedot http://www.whitedotskis.com/skis/one or Nordica Burner http://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/products/burner-ski-only/

I've only skied them in Castleford fridge so far, they both felt really nice though, I ended up buying the Nordica's.
Will have to wait until xmas when I'm on a real mountain before I will really know if they suit me Very Happy
latest report
Ye the head I range, they offer loads of different models, but i tested 2 pairs of skis recently and 1 was the head i.speed, very nice ski, no powder opportunity yet as the snow wasn't so fresh. They are stiff but forgiving, stable at high speed, and they are just a little wider along the whole ski that it should make of piste slightly easier. The other skis I tested were the atomic nomad, a new one from Atomic and is classed as an all mountain ski. This ski is also a bit wider still than the head but doesn't compromise too much on piste performance. Still quite stiff, and stable at speed. the ski is a little softer than I like, but made skiing quite easy and fun. The ski will definitely perform well off piste and be slightly more suited to this than on piste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy