Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift or Gondola??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not keen on T-bars but at the end of the day you get the lift that gets you where you need to be so chairs, gondolas, drags, they're a means to an end and I tend not to think about them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My order of preference:

1. Poma
2. Chair
3. T bar
4. gondola
5. being dragged up backwards by my goolies
6 telecabine (cable car)

I will go a long long way round to avoid a 6.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue, I must say that whenever I have felt cold on a charilift, it has never been the part of me in contact with the seat that has been the problem. I am not keen on the heated seats in my car either.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, I must say that whenever I have felt cold on a charilift, it has never been the part of me in contact with the seat that has been the problem. I am not keen on the heated seats in my car either. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chair, but mainly ticking off as many as possible Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andyrew wrote:
My order of preference:

1. Poma
2. Chair
3. T bar
4. gondola
5. being dragged up backwards by my goolies
6 telecabine (cable car)

I will go a long long way round to avoid a 6.

Unless it's the nut cracker. Just as well I never wanted kids Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Unless it's the nut cracker. Just as well I never wanted kids Shocked

ahh yes the meribel nut cracker, you'll know what we mean if you've been there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which ever has the shortest queue. Lets face it, unless you're on the first lift up or being guided then, whichever lift has the shortest/quickest route back up so as you/I can come back down. More time skiing, less time traveling.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cime de caron has always been a 45 minute wait every time up until last march when three of us had it all to ourselves. The brevent peak to peak cable was the most unforgettable back in the early 80s when the oppo used to open the manual doors and enjoy the view of the drop below. Best single chair in Gastein where they give you a blanket. Polarised chair covers in US. Best gondola to shag in (apparently) the one up from Brides les Bains into Meribel....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ADESki wrote:
Which ever has the shortest queue. Lets face it, unless you're on the first lift up or being guided then, whichever lift has the shortest/quickest route back up so as you/I can come back down. More time skiing, less time traveling.

If you're encountering queues, you're skiing in the wrong resort. Go where the people aren't.

Personally, I hate abominations like heated seats and pull-down covers. When I go out to ski, I wear gear that's appropriate for the conditions. Artificial heat sources mess up the stable equilibrium of my natural heat regulatory system. If you think you need a heated seat, you should bung on an extra layer of clothing and man (or woman) up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have to admit... in my car, I'd prefer a heated steering wheel before heated seats.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My favourite is a super-fast heated detatchable chairlift with a lid, but sadly they are few and far between! However, on a freezing day with snow blowing into you sideways, I'd pick a (comparatively) cosy gondola with proper seats any day. The Olympique in Val is one of the better ones.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HoneyBunny wrote:
My favourite is a super-fast heated detatchable chairlift with a lid, but sadly they are few and far between! However, on a freezing day with snow blowing into you sideways, I'd pick a (comparatively) cosy gondola with proper seats any day. The Olympique in Val is one of the better ones.

Plenty in the Arlberg.

Prefer chair by far. No messing around taking off skis. Less chance of being surrounded by smelly smokers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love the heated seats and covers but not great with a hangover!! The open chair ride does always help on that front.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chairlifts with optional cover (we used to call them the "George Forman" as they look like his grill-but I guess this will be lost on many snowheads!).
Gondola/bubble you can sit in is OK. Standy uppy ones are miserable.
latest report
Beginning to look like the chairlifts have won this particular poll, by a country mile. Viva le telesiege!
snow conditions
Generally pretty happy with anything that gets me uphill.
You usually get at least one smart back bottom by now who says skins.
latest report
I dislike t bars, pomas, and rope pulls, I will use them if they are going on to an area that is not accessable in any other way, but usually there is a way of getting a ski lift up and joining in the top of that run, unless you get stuck at a point and the only way back up is a pull, then ok, it beats walking. The fast eightman heated covered chairlifts are fantastic though. I think the ski atmosphere in Austria and Germany, Switzerland, beat france hands down.
snow report
Quote:

Gondola/bubble you can sit in is OK. Standy uppy ones are miserable.

Better still are the ones with slots in the middle for skis and boards. No scramble to untangle skis from the outdoor slots, esp. fatty twintips that have to go in a snowbaord slot and interlocked, and no holding on to skis for the whole journey.

Oh and free wifi in the gondolas now too.

T-Bars are ace. Twice the uplift of a Poma, more socialble and don't knacker yer nads. And rarely a queue, cos so many people and all boarders are allergic to t-bars Smile
latest report
andy, Agree about the twin tips in the outside slots. I love our gondola, 8 seater, no stair climbing and the brilliant liftie has a separate gate to fill up the pods with single skiers at busy times so 4 people don't hog one to themselves. The lift at the Piste de L'Ours could do with a revamp, you need a helmet just to protect you from the pod pitching as you get in.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:

Plenty in the Arlberg.

Prefer chair by far. No messing around taking off skis. Less chance of being surrounded by smelly smokers.

Mmm and I have experienced the warm bottom that goes with them. They're sadly lacking in France though!
snow conditions
Quote:

TBars are ace. Twice the uplift of a Poma, more socialble and don't knacker yer nads. And rarely a queue, cos so many people and all boarders are allergic to t-bars

Andy not normally twice the uplift. Pomas are much faster than most tbars so will get you to the top more quickly. Line speed is up to 4m/s which is only beaten by the fastest chairs and gondolas.

The fastest lifts of all, by a long way, are cable cars which don't, seem very popular here, but usually access the signature runs. snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 17-11-13 10:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
True that cable cars are usually/often the fastest. Even including the wait for the next car.
Main think I don't like about them is that every other person now has a huge backpack on and can't stand still. Feel sorry for those a bit shorter than me that must get a faceful.

Worst of all are the ancient 2 man type chairs. Not enough space for proper sized adults, and there's no way i'll manage to get skis on the footpeg and knees under the bar. And one in the dolomites I timed as 10minutes exactly.
snow conditions
Generally chairs but if it is really cold and blowy a gondola gives a bit of a warm up.

One huge advantage of a gondola from the valley late season is that if it is precipitating you keep out of the rain and when you get to the top it has miraculously turned to snow.
snow report
Chairlifts are simply cheap gondolas.
snow report
Quote:

Pomas are much faster than most tbars so will get you to the top more quickly. Line speed is up to 4m/s which is only beaten by the fastest chairs and gondolas

A few years ago there were several draglifts in the Espace Diamant which were quicker than the chairs nearby but with upgraded much faster chairs (one just being built for this year, to replace a very slow one in Notre Dame de Bellecombe) that will no longer be the case.

However, one short steep fast drag between 2 red runs and a black was replaced by a fixed chairlift a couple of seasons ago and that wasn't a big improvement. The chair takes longer and because the drag was a bit difficult, with a fierce start, it did serve to deter a number of less experienced skiers and, especially, boarders. There's now a very easy and pretty treelined run down to the bottom of that lift but it means that one of the red runs now has one of the highest casualty rates (according to a pisteur) because after a deceptively flat bit, where people speed up, the ground drops away sharply and "ils volent". You see a lot of people on those slopes now who probably shouldn't be there.

Replacing drag lifts with chairs is all very well but, like giving a "coup de bull" to every tricky bit of piste it does serve to produce a more bland and homogeneous experience.

I would enjoy having some heated chairs though - none in our neck of the woods, unfortunately.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
T-Bars are ace. Twice the uplift of a Poma, more socialble and don't knacker yer nads. And rarely a queue, cos so many people and all boarders are allergic to t-bars Smile

I don't know any good snowboarders who are at all bothered by button lifts or T-bars. Thing is, the percentage of snowboarders (as indeed skiers) who are good is small.

There's no doubt that those lifts involve a small bit of physical effort though, and if you get one whose run is cambered then only having one edge makes it much harder to make small defensive adjustments; on cambered pitches it's quite common to find yourself sliding in a wide arc towards the fall line and away from the lift line. Some even go downhill in places, which is, er, fun since there's no analogous technique to snowplough in snowboarding! You end up at the extent of the elastic, pushing against the pole with your chest and shoulders waiting for the cable to catch up Confused. I can't deny they provide neverending material for YouTube wink
snow report
My favourite lift...

http://youtube.com/v/OVw5RgalNEI
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pyremaniac wrote:
I don't know any good snowboarders who are at all bothered by button lifts or T-bars. Thing is, the percentage of snowboarders (as indeed skiers) who are good is small.

I don't think that most people are particularly bothered by drag lifts. They're just more effort, and most of us are lazy.
snow conditions
I suppose this is good thread to ask, does any one know where to get electrically powered toy gondolas from in the u.k.?
Something like this but not as expensive or elaborate Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/f6thk9IFPjw
ski holidays
dunno, but somewhere, there's a video of a fully detachable Lego one too

edit: this one was the one I was thinking of...

http://youtube.com/v/PYAWR1gP29s
snow report
andy wrote:
dunno, but somewhere, there's a video of a fully detachable Lego one too

edit: this one was the one I was thinking of...

http://youtube.com/v/PYAWR1gP29s

It would probably be cheaper to buy a real one than a Lego one!
snow report
I actually quite like button lifts, especially the ones which are on a piece of string (well, thin rope) - they're much more gentle than the ones on a metal rod.
I like the challenge of a steep button lift too - really have to concentrate but can be quite exhilarating. Something quite pleasing about being able to cope with a 'teleski reserve au tres bon skieurs'!
As for the chairlift/gondola debate - the geared chairlifts are cool (well, except the ones with the heated seats). I like the little 4 person gondolas where you get a seat. The one in Thollon (currently being replaced) was a favourite.
The mixed chairlift/gondola lifts you see more of these days are an interesting development - gondolifts I believe they're called...
ski holidays
Its not the lift, its where it takes you Madeye-Smiley

Thee was a discussion last year regarding a slow two man chair being replaced with a highspeed quad - most locals didnt want it, with good reason wink Smile
snow conditions
Chairlift - fresh air, unconstrained views, you don't have to take off your skis, and you always get a seat.

Worst lift type must be that slingshot thing in the Andes - looks lethal in the YouTube videos
snow conditions
Quote:

and you always get a seat

I have seen 7 people try to get on a 6er before Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Chairlift - fresh air, unconstrained views, you don't have to take off your skis, and you always get a seat.

Fine in good weather. Uncomfortable in cold weather. Potentially dangerous in very cold weather.
snow conditions
You're all pussies. This is a ski lift

http://youtube.com/v/CO-CMk_LeWs
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy