Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to St Anton from Calais. Any suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Saw the earlier thread on travel to anywhere other than France, mine is more specific.

After many years of driving to France we fancy a change and are going to St Anton in January.

I will be getting some snow tyres and plan to drive through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany to avoid tolls, so two years of that will cancel out the cost of the tyres.

We plan to arrive in resort early Sunday morning and spend Saturday night in an Ibis type hotel about two hours away.

Anyone got any tips on the route, where to stay on the Saturday night or anything else which might be useful to know?

Cheers

K
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bregenz or Lindau would be my logical stop. Bit less than 2 hours short of St. Anton. Bregenz is a nice place in summer. Never really stopped there properly in winter (other than en route overnight stop). I guess Memmingen would be about 2 hrs away?
Don't forget the Austria toll sticker (about €8 for 10 days) available at services between Ulm and Lindau.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I stopped overnight at a hotel just outside Ulm on my way down to Anton this time, Hotel Seligweiler. http://www.hotel-seligweiler-ulm.de/en/

Decent size room, continental buffet breakfast, very comfortable beds and just off the autobahn. Don't recall seeing the vignettes being available for sale at the petrol station next door, but once heading south on the a7 they were, you can also stop at the border and pick one up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Second andy's suggestion of somewhere around Lindau and Bregenz. Should be easy to get a really good room and breakfast as it is definitely out of season here. Use something like Booking.com as your starter but then contact any hotel direct as it is often cheaper to deal direct (5 Euro pp/n in one hotel I found!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stop at a Holiday Inn in Walldorf....decent bar with pizzas etc and an indoor pool the kids like to jump into after the drive!

Surprisingly good value!

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/walldorf/wdfge/hoteldetail
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy