Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Chapelle D'Abondance

Poster: A snowHead
OK, this is the chalet http://www.skiaddiction.co.uk/accom-peloton.html which is in La Chapelle D'Abondance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

there are two villages in close proximity, one called Abondance with limited skiing, one called Chapelle d'Abondance, linked into the PdS, ok, not the main loop but still achievable to rack up the miles. Which one are you actually staying in, the misunderstanding may have contributed to the discussion.

Yep, certainly did for me - I was talking about Abondance. Not linked to the PDS. Sorry if I added to the confusion. I have never been to Chapelle d'Abondance and didn't realise there were two separate places.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends if you're cool with needing to get driven to / collected from the PdS lift.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the clarification pamw

it appears I can get to wthe areas, albeit not without effort on my part, which is no big problem. So I guess the truck comes out again and I drive down there, anyone need a lift to PdS area on Dec 22/23 and back on Jan 2/3?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Standee, I know that location, we've stayed just along from there. Ok, IMO you can't walk to the Pantiaz from there really, you would need to get dropped off. I wouldn't walk there in ski boots, carrying skis. Does the chalet offer a minibus lift service? You might, just might be able to ski part way down to the lift if you could work out the way and go through some gardens. Still it'd be easier to get dropped off. Re. Coming back at the end of the day, in good conditions you could probably ski back somewhere close. Otherwise I can't remember the piste back properly but if it ends up near the lift you have a long walk uphill back. Fine for walking out in the evenings if you want to though just not in all the gear. Hope this is useful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Standee, cross posted with you, no prob if you take your car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks to everyone, waiting to hear back from the chalet as to what they can help with, they sort transfers etc. so I can't imagine a short hop to a lift of some kinf for a couple of euro's will be a problem...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah wrote:
IMO you can't walk to the Pantiaz from there really, you would need to get dropped off. I wouldn't walk there in ski boots, carrying skis. ... You might, just might be able to ski part way down to the lift if you could work out the way and go through some gardens. .... Re. Coming back at the end of the day, in good conditions you could probably ski back somewhere close. Otherwise I can't remember the piste back properly but if it ends up near the lift you have a long walk uphill back. Fine for walking out in the evenings if you want to though just not in all the gear. Hope this is useful.

It's about 400m, too far? The area is fields and you can sort of ski/traverse along if there's snow. I stayed a little bit further the other side of the cabine and thats what we did.
As for getting back on skis I really can't remember if we attempted it, there is no piste marked and I think not. so a download on the cabine is needed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyrew, it's two years since we stayed there so maybe I'm not remembering it accurately so I just googled mapped it; from Standee's chalet to the gondola it's 750m by the shortest road route and part of this road is a very steep pitch and can be very icy, by the main road round it's 1100m. That's quite a long schlep in boots carrying skis in my opinion. It may be fine if you can actually ski across the gardens and fields to the lift but that still leaves you the walk back at the end of the day. Still maybe they have ski lockers at the Pantiaz which would help and then there's always the Fer Rouge to break the walk back uphill wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you take a bus from the chalet to the linga a lift, how long would that take?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Libertine wrote:
Can you take a bus from the chalet to the linga a lift, how long would that take?

I think you would have to walk down to the main road (maybe 5 mins) and then get the bus somewhere along there. Approx 10-15 mins to Linga I would guess. Don't know if there is a bus or if you would have to change.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a decent network of ski buses which link both sides of La Chapelle and into Chatel. Once in the Chatel network you can access Super Chatel for Morgins and the Swiss side ( the shlep across town in Morgins is generally resticted to 50 yards of poling and 50 yards of walking) or Pre La Joux which gets you to Avoriaz centre in 45 mins.

If you're desperate to ski Les Gets it can be done but it's not the best option.

IMV some of the best skiing in the PDS will be right on your doorstep (nice blues, proper steep reds and one of the toughest marked runs in the PDS). if you've not spent much time in the PDS before you could fill 10 days with high mileage and not visit either Morzine or Les Gets.

I'll be there the same dates you're looking at and happy to ski guide for a day (oops that not allowed is it!).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

IMV some of the best skiing in the PDS will be right on your doorstep (nice blues, proper steep reds and one of the toughest marked runs in the PDS).

Going to La Chapelle in March and never been to the PDS before so that's nice to hear Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftoid, who you staying with?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DJL, thanks for that, will PM you

Well, I've paid now, so I'll be able to make my own observations, ultimately I'll be somewhere hilly with a bit of snow, which are kind of the most important parts of a ski trip I guess.
snow report
julietp wrote:
swiftoid, who you staying with?

We've booked a private appartment in Les Thoules we found on http://www.lachapelle74.com/
ski holidays
A trip to the Fer Rouge micro-brewery in Chapelle d'Abondance is definitely recommended... wink

http://www.valdabondance.com/vallee/Commerces/Ferrouge/pub.html
ski holidays
Bladder, it's 200m from our apartment so that will most definitely be happening Toofy Grin
snow report
swiftoid, as an ale drinker I'm quite impressed with their Frasse beer... it's made from hops imported from Yorkshire and tastes like a good Yorkshire bitter.
latest report
Bladder wrote:
swiftoid, as an ale drinker I'm quite impressed with their Frasse beer... it's made from hops imported from Yorkshire and tastes like a good Yorkshire bitter.

Wear your flat cap.

Always amazed how the Brits get those cats to wee wee so accurately into the kegs.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy