Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Chapelle D'Abondance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all;
Am thinking of heading here, but the piste map look limited, very limited. For someone more used to Tignes, Champagny, Morzine, Avoriaz how ill I find it (is it easy to get out of Abondance to the bigger more challenging areas?)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have friends who had a place there. Nice spot, pretty village but yes, the pistes available locally are limited. You can get to other places with a car but if you are looking for a big ski area on the doorstep it might not be the place for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam, glad I checked it out first, back to the drawing board.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Standee, limited is hardly the word. Very, very, very limited indeed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
very limited, unless of course you pop up the cabine that starts there on the other side of the road, in which case you could ski all the way round to les Gets, but that only adds a wee bit, say 600km or so.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
so, you've got to get through Les Gets, then into Morzine, then up to Avoriaz to get any decent runs.....?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm, I think you're looking at the piste map upside down... from Chapelle into Torgon and then chatel....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so, how long to get to something that isn't almost flat?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't remember Torgon as being exactly flat... how many degrees of descent do you require?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I need somewhere I can cover 20+ miles a day without walking between loads of lifts, Abondance seems to have 6/8 runs, I know Chatel and there are two decent runs, then you're in to walking across Morzine and the long lifts to Avoriaz, with no prospect of skiing back to Abondance so limited to having to be back over the hill by 3pm...?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
can I just check andyrew, do you rate Scotland for skiing?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure we're looking at the same piste map. looking at chapelle d'abondance you see a chair heading up cret beni to the south? just to the left of that on the other side of the valley a cabine, heading north, to Torgon ?? spotted it? there is small faff between sides of the valley to link at Morgins ( a few minutes walk last time I did it) but apart from that you can keep on skiing until you get round to morzine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
so, more lifts than skiing and lifts home at the end of the day?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standee wrote:
can I just check andyrew, do you rate Scotland for skiing?

Well, you know, having skiied 56+ weeks in France, I can't claim to be totally brand loyal, but for some local pottering, yes I enjoy skiing an hour from home. But then, I'm no pretentious snob
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
why is it snobbish to try and understand where someone's opinion is coming from, you are the only person who has said Abondance is anything less than limited. I thank you for your replies but the abuse is very unnecessary. I don't want to be bored on a 10 day trip, and looking at the piste maps I fear I will be, I may well be wrong, which is why I am asking people that know.

now, if you want to answer questions and contribute feel free, I'd really appreciate it. If you want to pick a fight then I suggest you cease posting on this particular topic as I'm not interested in a petty squabble.
latest report
Standee wrote:
so, more lifts than skiing and lifts home at the end of the day?

Not exactly the way I remember it.

Of course when I go to Chapelle in March we'll have a car so it will be easy to just pop up to Linga and ski from there. It's nice to have the variety don't you think? And the fact that its a lovely apartment for only 230 euro in a beautiful village will be nice. Of course for variety there's 9 days in the 3V over christmas, just for the difference.
snow conditions
I am not quite sure what your'e trying to achieve or prove, but you seem to have a problem.
latest report
Quote:

why is it snobbish to try and understand where someone's opinion is coming from...
now, if you want to answer questions and contribute feel free, I'd really appreciate it. If you want to pick a fight then I suggest you cease posting on this particular topic as I'm not interested in a petty squabble.

Really!!

Where have I suggested you are snobbish????

I merely said, yes I enjoy scotland too as well as all of the large areas in France which I've skied over 30+ years. It is I who would not like to be thought a snob for spurning my local area.
latest report
I think the point he's making is that it is well linked to the pds. I stayed a week in torgon a few years ago and had an absolute blast, you can ski as much mileage as you want.
snow report
"linked" makes me think "trek", as I said, I just don't want to be bored
ski holidays
Standee, if you're gonna go to the PdS I'd avoid these bus-linked type satellite resorts.
snow report
thanks red27, have stayed in Morzine and Avoriaz and it was great, but as soon as we ended up in Chatel we seemed out on a limb, we even struggled to get back from Les Gets on one occasion.
snow report
For the love of Jéhovah. The pds is 600kms of piste, chapelle links directly via uplift into plan de croix and from there to all the rest of it. If you can't get enough skiing from there, you have issues. It is a long way to les gets from chapelle as the are separated by several alps. It therefore will take time to get from one to the other. Thats part of the fun.
latest report
Standee, my experiences mirror your own.
snow report
Standee wrote:
thanks red27, have stayed in Morzine and Avoriaz and it was great, but as soon as we ended up in Chatel we seemed out on a limb, we even struggled to get back from Les Gets on one occasion.

Why did you struggle? Lifts close early?
snow conditions
But he clearly hasn't experienced chapelle, I have, it's lined by a lift, not a bus, to the entire pds. Yes it is not morzine, but it categorically offers easy access to lots and lots of skiing.
ski holidays
swiftoid wrote:
Standee wrote:

Leaves on the line / wrong type of snow / passenger action / all of the above led to late running of Le Petit Train?
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
Standee wrote:

Leaves on the line / wrong type of snow / passenger action / all of the above led to late running of Le Petit Train?

indeed, and I don't go on a ski trip to sit on le petit train or schlep across town in my boots.

I get it, some people like Chatel/L'Abondance, it's quaint and small and pretty. But that isn't what I want, I want to Ski, not spend half the morning getting out and half the afternoon getting back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

indeed, and I don't go on a ski trip to sit on le petit train or schlep across town in my boots.

I get it, some people like Chatel/L'Abondance, it's quaint and small and pretty. But that isn't what I want, I want to Ski, not spend half the morning getting out and half the afternoon getting back.

Sorry, I think people got the impression you liked the PdS having said you'd been to both Avoriaz and Morzine (where you'll have met that train?) and so were talking from that viewpoint. I'm a habitual 3V skier (30+weeks) but am very much looking forward to Chapelle in March. (via 'elsewhere' earlier in the season)
latest report
Standee, I remember, long ago in my yoot, the schleping across Morzine (or whereever) was all part of the fun - stopping in every other bar, flirting and giggling with one's yootful companions, carpe-ing the diem, and generally having a ball
snow conditions
Standee, I think you have completely misread most of the responses on here. You asked about chapelle, got answers indicating that the local skiing was limited, but you seem to have completely ignored the fact that it links, easily, into the entire pds. And from the end of the pds that is usually not rammed, with access to some brilliant on piste and off piste terrain. If that's not what you want, coolio.
snow report
coddlesangers wrote:
Standee, I think you have completely misread most of the responses on here. You asked about chapelle, got answers indicating that the local skiing was limited, but you seem to have completely ignored the fact that it links, easily, into the entire pds. And from the end of the pds that is usually not rammed, with access to some brilliant on piste and off piste terrain. If that's not what you want, coolio.

apologies, I responded to getting some attitude from one person.

When you say "links", what does that enatil, how long will I spend at the start and end of each day getting "out" of Chapelle and onto the wider domain?
ski holidays
There's a gondola at panthiaz, takes 10 mins ish, then the world is your oyster. Lots of different tours you can take, if you want maximum km's you could start out early for avoriaz and back, would be around a 50km day.
ski holidays
You'd be skiing back the whole way.
latest report
OK, so it seems some people think that I'd have plenty to go at for ten days, but some others think I might get bored.....aaaargh.............................................what to do!
ski holidays
coddlesangers wrote:
For the love of Jéhovah. The pds is 600kms of piste, chapelle links directly via uplift into plan de croix and from there to all the rest of it. If you can't get enough skiing from there, you have issues. It is a long way to les gets from chapelle as the are separated by several alps. It therefore will take time to get from one to the other. Thats part of the fun.

^^ This. Nuff said.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
coddlesangers wrote:

^^ This. Nuff said.

I know the PdS is big, I wasn't questioning that, I was asking how easily I can access the larger areas from Abondance, I swear some people cannot read/comprehend English.
snow report
Standee, You do realise that there are two villages in close proximity, one called Abondance with limited skiing, one called Chapelle d'Abondance, linked into the PdS, ok, not the main loop but still achievable to rack up the miles. Which one are you actually staying in, the misunderstanding may have contributed to the discussion.
latest report
Standee, i've never made it as far across but it looks to me like you are on a bubble to access torgon and there's no skiing down from it. It wouldn't necessarily be my choice. Now worse than accessing Avoriaz via Super Morzine I wouldn't imagine. But it is likely to be quieter, the village sounds nice.
snow conditions
Standee wrote:
sarah wrote:
coddlesangers wrote:

^^ This. Nuff said.

I know the PdS is big, I wasn't questioning that, I was asking how easily I can access the larger areas from Abondance, I swear some people cannot read/comprehend English.

standee, no need to be so abrasive, I thought that was quite clear enough, seems like you are the one with comprehension issues NehNeh

Anyway, I think the real issue here is that it's not clear where you are staying; the thread title is La Chapelle d'Abondance but then you keep talking about 'Abondance', as BergenBergen points out the two are different places, La Chapelle is a few miles up the valley from Abondance. Abondance is totally on its own, not linked at all. La Chapelle has two areas; one in the village which is not linked to the PDS and one starting from the Pantiaz which is linked into the PDS circuit. Hope this helps a bit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy