Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz-Morzine - Car Park in Prodains

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

A request for local info for those based in this area. Since the new lift from Prodains has opened has there been any changes with the car parking situation in Prodains. I heard new covered car parking was being developed. Is this started/completed? Is outdoor parking still available? If so anyone know prices (daily and weekly) for the coming winter season?

Very difficult (well for me...) to find info on the net and it is does not seem to be covered by either Morzine or Avoriaz sites!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there a couple of months ago and although I wasn't looking for it I dont recall a new car park. The only thing I saw was the new lift (which looks good).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time we were there in September and we went to look I think there was a new area of ground cleared and terraced to form new car parking - but I may be wrong and may have imagined it. We have never paid to park there but we only go for the day - are you thinking of leaving a car there and staying up in Avoriaz as that may be different?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The prodains carpark was (and remains, akaik) free. The new lift has reduced its capacity a bit - this video shows the changes

http://youtube.com/v/srPBxYGacoc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A quick search on google.fr gives this on the Morzine website http://tinyurl.com/qhfdqhz which links to this http://www.parkingmorzine.com/
So it's all payable this season. Don't forget there is the covered public parking under Le Cable restaurant (10m from the old cc station), only about 30 places I believe so you have to reserve in advance. Not sure how though, although I did find this http://tinyurl.com/nfcwkcz
Also all the hotels have underground parking (the Neige Roc, La Kinkerne, etc.) and probably have spare places. If you want covered parking call around and see what they can offer.
There is also loads of covered parking up at Avoriaz these days if that's where you're heading for.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shep,
Quote:

So it's all payable this season

I have had a look at the website you quote - but this is just for covered parking isn't it? The parking in the open by the day remains free - doesn't it? Although I appreciate that frogslegs, is probably wanting to park a car for the week and maybe covered.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pamski, That's not the way I read it, and looking again at that article on the Morzine website it can't be, there's no covered parking in the locations they describe. It seems the Mairie/Serma have handed the whole thing over to this private SAGS mob (for a huge fee) who are only in it to make money. Welcome to Avoriaz eh? Top tip, park at the Fromagerie on the Avoriaz road.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shep, my apologies - I hadn't read the first link which now makes it clear that there will be short term and long term parking at Prodains. So I doubt very much that we will be going there - we tend to only use Prodains at the start and end of the season, and mostly use Ardent, or park on the Avoriaz road.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamski I think this is what everyone will do now. Why park at Prodain and pay when you can park at Ardent or on the road for free? I would expect that in solving one problem they will create multiple others, despite the fact that the new Prodain lift makes it a much better access point now. Its not as if the Gendarmes are ever on top of the parking on the road problem, which already causes near grid lock when the Ardent carpark over flows so that even the shuttle bus gets stuck. And dont even think you can go via Super Morzine (or park up on the Avoriaz road), because I can guarantee there will be an enormous queue of people trying to get on to the Proclou! How we laughed..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes it's silly to spend all that money on the new Prodains lift and then discourage people from using it.... building more parking is the solution but that doesn't (visibly) generate revenue.

How long will it be before Ardent starts charging? Montriond are much less money-grabbing than Morzine, but the temptation must be huge now. The only way to beat the Proclou cluster**** is to get there before the first groups of fally-offy little-darlings make it down from the plateau. The queue is self limiting from the Super-Morzine direction due to the capacity of the SM chair. Heading back to the fromagerie at the end of the day you can avoid the queue for the other Proclou lift (can't be bothered to look up the name) by taking the ski-du-fond round the back of the altiport and hitting the piste only a couple of minutes hike below the road.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,
Thanks everyone, in summary therefore, it seems therefore there is no 'new' car covered car park, and slightly reduced capacity at the old car park which is now 60€ per week, but not sure what the daily tariff is - I still couldn't find this. I had emailed the question already, still waiting for a response! As expected the collective knowledge of Snowheads gets a faster result.

The info is not for me personally, my worklife requires my practical knowledge of such matters (especially of Avoriaz) to be fully up to date and accurate and seeing as all my contacts still seem to be on extended conge from the recent bank holidays I was unable to help one of my customers!

Cheers
PS I agree that Ardent looks the daily access point of choice for those needing parking but this will be even more chaotic at weekends now...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does not look to me as though they have thought this through at all. You can reserve a space at Prodains, but minimum two days. Is this some sort of bizarre scheme to "encourage" the use of the already overloaded buses.

And no parking in the streets at all between 0h00 and 07h00...? Yeah, right, that's so going to happen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, that's only in case of snowfall. The covered car parks are free between 22.00 and 7.00 so you're meant to go move in there. I know no one does it, but in committee it no doubt made perfect sense for clear snowplough access.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger, yes, and it's a mountain station... So hopefully there will be snow at some point. But it's also full of tourists whose brains are in big buckets in Gatwick or wherever.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, yes and it's not really publicised much other than this website. Last season I bought a pass to park in town and a quick walk around town any morning after snowfall shows how few people think to go out after dinner and move their cars for the night... No excuse if you get a ticket or towed though.
snow report
albinomountainbadger, quite. And frankly, after a decent nosh at the Etale, getting behind the wheel may not be the best of plans.
latest report
Seems SAGS now have a new Prodains plan on their site. Pdf here: http://www.parkingmorzine.com/images/Guide_Parking_des_Prodains.pdf
snow report
French petition against the car park charges numbers 350+ : https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Pour_la_gratuite_du_parking_des_Prodains/?awVQVbb
ski holidays
Tricky one this because something has to be done, it's no good petitioning the mayor (which wont do any good anyway) for a return to the status quo when the current situation is so messed up. Personally during the five busy weeks I'd happily pay 5E a day to get a space if I needed to go that way and didn't want to have to get there by 8.30am to get in (like last season). As with every other service, there's just not enough parking to go around during high season.

What I do object to is the lion's share of this revenue being skimmed off by a private company because the commune is too lazy/inept to run it themselves. If this windfall were collected and spent on improving the situation (more parking, more navettes, more traffic wardens) I think very few people would be complaining.

Will they provide a set-down facility outside the new lift - for sure they won't let the hoi polloi use the navette stop. And will they install a system to close the road down at the roundabout if the carparks are full so you don't have to drive all the way up there and then grid-lock it doing u-turns? And if they do, what happens to residents and drop-offs; they're still going to have to have the gendarmes there during high season.

On balance I think charging is the way to go, as long as the revenue goes to providing free out-of-town parking with navettes every 3 minutes (not every 20 minutes with a break for lunch rolling eyes as currently). I know the land-owners in Prodain think they have the Mairie over a barrel when it comes to expanding the car parks and are holding out for extortionate payments. So screw them, let people who insist on driving to the lift pay for the privilege, and lay on a superbly efficient free navette service for everyone else. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy