Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Im off on a shot solo trip to Garmisch at the beginning of February. Wondered if anyone has any experience and has any tips or knowledge they could give me? Im only skiing 3 days so thought there should be enough for me with the Zugspitze area if needed to keep me entertained for that long. Anyone know and decent Ski hire shops? Also any tips on the ski bus, can't find out any information on where that stops or a timetable! Also given that there is a train up the mountain that has a stop at the Hausberg lift is this easier to use then the ski bus? Does it get busy? Also is there a station at the Kreuzekbahn too? If so is that a better option to start the day at? Basically any tips or advice n Garmisch welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The cog train stops at Hausberg, Kreuzeck and Alpspitze and then carries on to the glacier. You can get a rail ticket that includes lift pass for both Garmisch and Zugspitze. Most people comment that Garmisch is very spread out and a bit of a pain.

PS I've only done it in summer so this may not be accurate.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found that Garmish is easy enough, you can get the ski bus from the towns to either of the main spots, You will have enough of skiing for three days, The skiing on the Zugzspitze very tame, all red runs, but lovely to do as the views are wonderful. The Kandahar world cup run from top to bottom is lot's of fun, I can't tell you anything about time tables etc as we had a hire car, but as a lot of people stay in the town then there are busses directly to the ski area. There are a lot of nice long reds, the blacks are long and interesting, and the lift system is fairly modern. For a three day break it's quite a good spot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DHosking, Garmisch is split into two areas, Classic and Glacier, which are not connected. The classic area can be accessed by train at both Hausberg and Kreuzeck. There are ski hire shops at both bases. The classic area is fine for a few days, especially if you like doing hi speed runs down the Kandahar and Olympia runs to the base at Kreuzeck. Also the valley run at Hausberg is similar. The Kandahar top to bottom includes two quite steep & icy sections which you may or may not want to do. The 'free fall' section (Freier Fall) is seriously steep, and when prepared for a race, seriously icy...
For off piste it's a bit tricky, but there are some good steep couloirs at the top of the Alpspitz leading down to the Hochalm... careful cos some places end in a cliff. Also the 'alternative' Bernadein run is good.
The glacier pistes are a bit boring, but if it has 5m of snow on it then on a powder day it's a gigantic powder bowl. Fantastic. With less snow you run the risk of destroying your skis. Beware of sharks (I know cos I've been bitten).
As you may gather, I like Garmisch, but you have to know it's a different kind of skiing. Garmisch is a proper town with some skiing attached, not a ski area with a town attached.
Besides, it's only a short hop away from where I live, so I use it a lot.
OTOH be aware that it can get seriously busy at weekends when the whole of Munich pours down the A95!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did this trip report a couple of years ago, some of it might be useful (the trip didn't end well so ignore that bit - we enjoyed Garmisch until then!) https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3550971&highlight=garmisch#3550971
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know you have asked for advice for Garmisch but I just thought I’d mention these places while you are around that area and you may not want to ski every day. It’s a stunning part of the world.

Obergammau is worth a visit while you’re in the area. https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/9-reasons-why-you-should-visit-oberammergau-at-least-once-in-your-lifetime/

As is Mittenwald. https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-to-do-in-mittenwald-germany-4122309

And the Neuschwanstein castle https://www.britannica.com/topic/Neuschwanstein-Castle

Also Garmisch is where Adolf Hitler opened the Winter Olympics in 1936. http://www.thirdreichruins.com/garmisch.htm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the responses. I am there the week after the world cup race on the Kandahar so not sure if that will be open. Thanks for the tips Gad, I have actually been to Garmisch in the Summer and been to Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein. I am there purely for Skiing for 3 days arriving on a Wednesday and leaving on a Sunday. If I like the place I might arrange another trip in the Summer for some walking / tourism. The Choice of Garmisch is two fold, I prefer Germany / Austria to France / Italy, no particular reason, just prefer a more traditional town then a resort. Main reason is ease of access, wanted somewhere I could get to easily and Cheaply from an airport. Seeing as there is a station at Munich airport with direct access to the centre of Garmisch within 2 ours and an affordable rail fair plus accommodation in town is plentiful and affordable and it has enough skiing for a short break it made sense. I looked at a lot of places and found either they weren't accessible for a solo traveller on a budget or the transfer and single accommodation fees were prohibitive. Garmisch ticked every box, looking forward to it, just hope they aren't in some kind of Covid lock down!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy