Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowcoach

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a holiday through Snowcoach to St Gervais.
Last time we went with Snowcoach to Valmeinier which was lovely doorstep skiing and the resort was so quiet as not very well known.
We found the benefit of booking through Snowcoach is that you can actually ski for 8 days (both Sauturday you arrive and depart which are the best days as the slopes are empty due to being changeover day!)
Have not been to St Gervais for a very long time. Has much changed at the resort? Can I expect the same level of Snowcoach hospitality in the Hotel Terminus?!
(We loved the free wine Snowcoach provided in Valmeinier with your evening meal!!) snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you work for snowcoach, right?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddiethebus, Laughing what a suspicious mind!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
St Gervais is not much changed in twenty years. One or two lifts have been updated eg second lift up from Les Communailles. One or two new little runs opened up, but no major pistes.
Hotel Terminus varies according to where it is on the redecoration cycle, but again little evidence of change from the outside.
Have a good trip and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
candleabra, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

5 mentions of Snowcoach in a first post of 6 lines.....lots of maths in there wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great TripAdvisor review:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g562747-d1213139-r96170590-Hotel_Terminus_Mont_Blanc-St_Gervais_les_Bains_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html

“Snowcoach its like comparing Aldi to Waitrose!!”
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if it were me, i wouldlt want to stay there, its not in st gervais and there is very little to do in an around the hotel. On the positive side, there is a good kebab shop round the corner Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5106
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some very smelly people on the coach I hear. I imagine the kebab shop will be busy.

Not used them myself, not been on a coach since 2003.

Is it lots cheaper than flying? I cannot be @rsed to compare.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Austria on the coach once. It was one of those times when the Frenchies were burning our lambs or something similar. The trip over took 24 hours! That put me off ever doing it again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
candleabra, does sound suspiciously like cantabrica..... wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher, I went to Valmeinier with Snowcoach. Some years ago. It was fine - low cost, took lots of kids who shared a big room and got free ski hire and free insurance; was good value. But I didn't enjoy the "chalet hotel" formula - I much prefer smaller chalets. A chalet hotel has all the drawbacks of both formats.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wish I did work for them - maybe I would have got a freebie NehNeh
Are there any nice french restaurants that do raclette/fondue etc?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you can get them to take you up to st. gervais there are some nice restaurants yes, in lafayete, not so much, think there's one on the opposite side of the raod to the terminus but never eaten there....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have found this restaurant in Megeve: http://www.floconsdesel.com/uk/flocons-de-sel-megeve-official-site.php
Could be a bit pricy though!
So there's not much where the hotel is then?
Do most Snowcoach holidaymakers stay in the hotel of an evening?
snow conditions
Le Poelon Savoyard does the usual savoyard stuff and is a short walk. Only visit was some years ago - no complaints, but nothing special either. There are a couple of others, but I have not tried them.
Half way up the hill is Le Four for pierrade. There are decent restaurants (Michelin mention. rosette or stars) in Sallanches or Chamonix (by train?) and St Gervais has a couple of restaurants worth eating at (e.g. l'Eterle though that was working out expensive last time we went and is a taxi ride away).
Megeve is enticing but expensive and a longer trip.
Anyone I know who has stayed at Hotel Terminus has been on half board so no reason to venture out (except to escape the routine food).
snow report
candleabra, aren't they giving you dinner? As for local restaurants, you'd struggle to find any restaurant in that whole area which doesn't do raclette/fondue etc. Far too much cheese in all those places. However, unless you are made of money (in which case you'd probably have chosen a different TO) you won't to pay to travel to Megeve and eat in restaurants there.
snow conditions
Megeve for lunch?!
Yes we have got dinner for 7 nights. I was interested in restaurants for the last night before we depart, though they have told me they will be offering dinner to departing guests now.
But I can't come away from the French mountains without having some of the traditional Savoyard food!
ski holidays
Manda wrote:
Quote:
Snowcoach were awful. AWFUL. Don't wish them upon my worst enemies. Which is a pity, as the snow was great, hotel perfectly adequate, the transport comfortable, the ski exploring fantastic, fellow guests lovely, and friends had highly recommended Snowcoach. Sigh.

Snowcoaches' hotel and transport staff, however, were sufficently appalling on a daily basis to cast a pall over the otherwise wonderful trip. We got the feeling that guests were there for the staff's benefit, not the other way around. In addition the available food was inedible half the time, and the choice of meals often substandard even for a 2* hotel. Vital resort and travel information was regularly inconclusive, often lacking, and sometimes totally incorrect. 3 staff resigned during our stay. Suspect "management" have a steep cost-syphoning policy, and it shows in current staff morale - certainly staff appeared unable to be arsed to care that the rest of the so-called budget market has raised it's game since the 1980s. Met the owner, which now explains the whole badly organised Butlins-on-Snow experience.

Which is a pity cause, as I said earlier, the skiing was fantastic. Sadly each wonderful day on the slopes was marred by a new or ongoing problem thrown up by staff lack of interest in doing their job in a professional manner.

That was from that previous thread. Shocked
snow conditions
I have only used them once, it was some years ago, but the holiday was perfectly acceptable for the low price we had paid. No doubt some people have bad experiences but, equally, some people are inclined to pay a low price then complain if they don't get top-dollar service.
snow conditions
Megeve is a bit away from the pistes for lunch. On piste, I would head to Les Communailles.

An alternative on the route to Les Communilles is Raviere, which was very good, but a little less good after they expanded with the yurt out front (cash only). Tricky little run after eating, but not as difficult as to /from the Vieilles Luges in Les Houches.
latest report
35 Euros a head for Fondue in Megeve.
snow report
Ouch - that's an expensive treat!"!!
snow conditions
I had a cracking holiday in Hoch Soelden, but sadly can't remember who it was with (it was about 25 years ago). It was just a totally crap journey to get there. Took a couple of days to get over it, then we started dreading the journey home Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Went with Snowcoach 30 years ago - first ever ski trip to Kolsass-Weer. Rowdy on the way out, as there was a pub trip with us, and some students. Quiet as mice on the way back.
snow report
Megeve is pricey, my other half goes there on girly trips, and spends about 5 times as much as I have spent in Meribel.
snow report
Well I thought Meribel was pricy too but if you say she spends 5x the amount than you then I think I'll avoid Megeve!blahblahblah,
Has anyone got any more recent reviews of the Hotel Terminus? The report from previous thread doesn't say which resort it was for.
I went to Valmeinier last year and had a great time - food/staff/skiing etc. perfectly fine for us!
snow report
Well they must be doing something right - I found this gushing review of the Terminus by a regular contributor JollysJs on the pinnacle of accurate reliable unbiased travel reports - wish I had booked with them now I have read this. Oh I have just checked the reviewers' other contributions - reviews of Hotel L'Aigle and Club Hotel Apazar - again 5 star reviews. Funny thing this those hotels are or were also part of the Snowcoach offer. Wish I had heard of them before.... rolling eyes and as for posting a review in anticipation of a holiday Puzzled

Our Christmas Family Ski Trip 2013/14”
Reviewed 1 week ago
We are booked and ready for our Christmas and New Year holiday with Snowcoach at the Hotel Terminus Mont Blanc. We have regularly holidayed with Snowcoach for over ten years now, both as a couple and now as a family. Our boys and my elderly parents are travelling with us this year and we are all really looking forward to returning to the Terminus, checking out all the improvements and seeing some of the changes that are planned. We love the access to the local train station where we can travel up and down the Chamonix valley, which is a great alternative to skiing for my parents. We all love taking the tram up to the Les Houches and stopping off in St Gervais. It is so easy to go wandering through the Thermal Park and we take full advantage of the Snowcoach service to the different ski resorts. Not to mention that we will be tucking into the 4 course evening meals every night and enjoying the complementary wine!!!

Roll on Christmas and Snowcoach has never let us down!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
a

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 24-09-21 14:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I just returned from a four day ski-break at Hotel Terminus with my family. I was reading some of the snowHeads threads/reviews about Snowcoach which are dated several years ago and was interested enough to register on the forum to provide an updated view. We met up there with two of us taking the coach from Dover and the other three flying into Geneva. The coach trip was very well organised and, despite misgivings, quite painless. The coach was modern ( couple of years old) and the reclining seats were quite comfortable enough to doze/sleep the night away certainly well enough to enjoy the snow the following day. The flight transfers were similarly well organised and efficient. Hotel Terminus is a little tired/basic, but this is a BUDGET holiday option, but rooms were warm and clean and hot water was plentiful. Bar/lounge areas was large and equipped with LOADS of chairs/sofas to relax in after dinner. Dinner ( and breakfast and afternoon tea!) were all plentiful, well prepared and tasty and the never-ending wine supply was a welcome addition. Three mini-buses shuttle many times between the hotel and the lower Gondola station ( 10 minute drive only) every morning and evening and they are certainly willing to make the occasional non-scheduled trip if you ask! The ski-hire was well stocked and exceptionally helpful and the large Jacuzzi was a welcome bonus after a day on the slopes. The staff are generally young, a little inexperienced but incredibly friendly and helpful ... something I found MUCH more comfortable in context than a bunch of uniform-clad stuffed shirts! The genuine, infectious interest in skiing and boarding amongst staff and guests meant that it felt more like a big family than a hotel stay. In summary, as a budget option with fantastic skiing just up the road, Snowcoach/Hotel Terminus comes HIGHLY recommended. If you want all the creature comforts, quiet bar, gold-plated cutlery and silver service in the restaurant then I suggest you go elsewhere and leave the rest of us to enjoy ourselves.
snow report
andrew_rg40 wrote:
I just returned from a four day ski-break at Hotel Terminus with my family. I was reading some of the snowHeads threads/reviews about Snowcoach which are dated several years ago and was interested enough to register on the forum to provide an updated view. We met up there with two of us taking the coach from Dover and the other three flying into Geneva. The coach trip was very well organised and, despite misgivings, quite painless. The coach was modern ( couple of years old) and the reclining seats were quite comfortable enough to doze/sleep the night away certainly well enough to enjoy the snow the following day. The flight transfers were similarly well organised and efficient. Hotel Terminus is a little tired/basic, but this is a BUDGET holiday option, but rooms were warm and clean and hot water was plentiful. Bar/lounge areas was large and equipped with LOADS of chairs/sofas to relax in after dinner. Dinner ( and breakfast and afternoon tea!) were all plentiful, well prepared and tasty and the never-ending wine supply was a welcome addition. Three mini-buses shuttle many times between the hotel and the lower Gondola station ( 10 minute drive only) every morning and evening and they are certainly willing to make the occasional non-scheduled trip if you ask! The ski-hire was well stocked and exceptionally helpful and the large Jacuzzi was a welcome bonus after a day on the slopes. The staff are generally young, a little inexperienced but incredibly friendly and helpful ... something I found MUCH more comfortable in context than a bunch of uniform-clad stuffed shirts! The genuine, infectious interest in skiing and boarding amongst staff and guests meant that it felt more like a big family than a hotel stay. In summary, as a budget option with fantastic skiing just up the road, Snowcoach/Hotel Terminus comes HIGHLY recommended. If you want all the creature comforts, quiet bar, gold-plated cutlery and silver service in the restaurant then I suggest you go elsewhere and leave the rest of us to enjoy ourselves.

Thanks Andrew for your review, we have looked at Snowcoach for the last 2 years, saw them @ the NEC show 2012 & Manchester 2013, the coach that they had at the show looked extremely comfortable & bearing in mind potential airport delay & the transfer once you get there it is worth consideration.

We have self catered for the last 3 years & driven to resort, am considering Feb 2015 using Snowcoach as two of our children will not be coming with us next year I am looking at the cost against going with them.

I have looked for reviews & it seems that they are all very old which is frustrating as we all rely on referrals to make decisions, so will keep my eyes/ears open Skullie
snow report
Just checked when we have travelled with Snowcoach from my list of holidays. First went in 1998 to Brides with them and it was great. Went several more times to Brides (they no longer go there) and to St Gervais and it was all great for the price until Easter 2012. Luckily we had only booked 2 nights and were travelling around in our own car. The place was really run down, staff didn't care, shortage of food (especially no cheese course) problems with rooms - we had to change rooms several times until we found one where everything worked. Owner came out and had a stand up row with staff in front of the hotel. Seems there were faults on both sides. Several staff walked out. A week or two later the hotel went on fire (arson and some staff were arrested). It has had a make over since then and reports are that it has improved but I haven't wanted to sample it as I can get better cheaper when we are out there with the car. Found an amazing little family run hotel on the road up from Sallanches to Megeve and the food was excellent - I'm not telling you all what its called!
ski holidays
Have also been to St Gervais with Snowcoach a few times. I agree with what andrew_rg40, wrote. The shuttle buses also take you occasionally to Les Contamines. And from St Gervais it is an easy hop over to Megeve, while Combloux is a short (free) bus ride away. It is also possible to get a tram from outside the hotel up to Les Houches. So you can have a great variety of skiing. We found the food in the Hotel Terminus to be fine, and plentiful and the rooms to be comfortable. OK it's not 5 star, but nor are the prices.
snow report
We went with Snowcoach to Valmeinier earlier in the year at half term, it fit us well as we could only afford the time to go for part of the week (Tues-Sun, skiing Wed-Sat). The coach was perfectly fine, the OH and Jnr slept very well as did most others - I didn't sleep well but that's more down to me than the coach. The hotel looked pretty tired and it was, but it was warm with hot water and we slept very well every night. Food was also pretty good. We used their ski hire which was pretty poor.

The ski area was very good and a perfect size for 4 days away. I'd certainly consider using them again, especially if we can't manage a full week away (we skied very hard - for us - for the 4 days we were there, harder than when we have a usual 6 days skiing).
ski holidays
Well the wife and I have bitten the bullet and are going to give it a try, hey as long as my hipflask is full we'll have a great time Smile

Dan
snow report
Hip flask may have been a good plan to help me get some sleep on the coach!
snow report
Used them a few times. You get what you pay for. Basic but does the job. personally id pay to fly and get snowcoach transfer than bus from england again. Can be handy your TO having a coach to visit a few different places in the valley.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/QQqNfMqTEyo
ski holidays
This is an old string now, but just to say I have been with Snowcoach a number of times and have always been happy with them. Compared to other operators you get a lot more for your money if what you are after is a skiing holiday rather than pampering. And you do get the pampering anyway. I hope they get through the pandemic ok.

My only disappointment is that they don't serve Les Trois Vallees any more.
snow report
Gosh. A blast from the past. And it seems they still exist.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy