Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st timer Driving to 3V's Mid Dec.. Advice/Tips please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I'm looking at possibly driving down to Mottaret. We have accomm from Sat 14th Dec - Sat 21st hopefully.
I might be the sole driver & so am looking at an overnight stay Fri-Sat, So departing Calais Early Fri morn & getting as far down as poss, then overnight & get up to resort for first lifts, is the plan.
TBH I aint got a clue where to start Embarassed I'm looking at google earths route at the mo it says go via...
Dover to Calais then
Saint-Quentin
Reims
Troyes
Dijon
Lyon
Chambery
Albertville
Moutiers

All the Road numbers are confusing Puzzled
I've driven in snow plenty but never used chains. So I'm planning to get chains & practice putting em on n off.
I don't usually use SatNav but do have one somewhere, don't know if it does France rolling eyes So probly use a combination of Maps, Printed Directions, Satnav & swearing Puzzled
Looking for decent stopover for Fri eve as far south as poss. I anticipate driving for 3hr stints with 30 min breaks until the stopover, then straight through to Mottaret on Sat morn
Any tips & advice on route, chains, wibbly windy roads, Breakdown & Ins cover and stop-over options greatly appreciated
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
assuming you have a smartphone the maps/navigation will get you there nice and easily Smile

ditch the hotel room in favour of 6 or 7 cans of monster, that way you'll be wired enough to hit the slopes the moment you arrive Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/driving.htm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer, have a look at viamichelin.com You can print out a map, with clear directions, see the prices of tolls etc.

You won't have any problem - the French motorways are very easy and all exits very clearly signposted, well in advance. However, if there are only 2 of you, it might not save you much money, over cheap flights and a rented car, especially if you have a stopover and have to buy chains just for the trip.

The French system of signposting uses place names rather than road numbers - as long as you have your place names written down clearly (as you've listed them) and keep your eyes open, so you don't end up right in the middle of Troyes, Dijon, etc etc, you should be fine. Definitely don't need satnav.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The route you have is very close to the one everyone follows, except I head via Bourg en Bresse rather than Macon and hence cut out the heavy traffic on the A6 and around Lyon.

The route is simple and you do not actually need a satnav or probably a map.

From Calais follow signs to Paris,
As soon as a sign appears for Rheims appears follow it.
At Rheims follow signs to Lyon - keep following these for a long time
At Dijon you will see a branch off the motorway to Geneva and Grenoble. Follow it and all subsequent signs to Grenoble.
Some distance after Lyon airport you will see a branch of the main road to Grenoble signposted Chambery - follow it.
After leaving the Peage at Chambery follow signs again to Albertville
After Albertville follow signs to Moutiers. This will be the first time you leave the motorway/dual carriageway.
Follow signs to Meribel
Keep going through Merbel and you will be in Motterat.

Ignore road numbers - they do not have the same significance that they have in the UK.
Have a passenger to collect and pay the tolls
Invest in a talking book to while away the hours.
There are very very few wibbly windy roads just mile after mile of fairly straight motorway.
I doubt you will actually use the chains.

To put the driving ordeal into perspective, last New Year on our return from Le Arcs I drove non stop to Bourg en Bresse where we refueled and got some sandwichs then my wife drove nonstop to Calais
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer, If you follow the signs on the autoroutes for the towns on your list you will not go far wrong.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I drive two hour stints. I rarely have any problem driving the whole distance solo, provided the weather is good. If the weather's bad, all bets are off!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another thought - the signs for motorways are blue and those for the "routes nationale" in green. So, assuming you want to stay on the motorway (€160 return in tolls) if you see the town you want in both green and blue, take the blue.

In Switzerland the colours are reversed, but if you find yourself in Switzerland something will have gone wrong. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Laughing
thank you
& everyone else
snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are no cats eyes in France and the road markings are appalling. The quality of the road surface is usually excellent though, as are the quality and frequency of the stopping areas (Aire's) Calais to VT is about 8 hrs non stop or 10 hrs with stops. I've done the trip with various company on quite a number of occasions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to practice putting chains on before you leave, as you intend. You will likely arrive after dark and need to put them on roadside before Meribel. Sods Law dictates that if you have not practiced, it will also be snowing hard and a bolshy gendarme will be hurrying you up to make way for others wanting to use your space. Voice of experience. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do practise with the chains. It only takes one blizzard on your way up the mountain for things to go badly wrong. If you haven't bought your chains yet, you might want to look at autosocks instead. Much easier to get on and off, and they really do work. They are a legal alternative to chains apparently- see www.roofbox.co.uk for more info.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take a satnav and nearly crash due to the sheer hilarity of listening to it advising take the exit to Aaras Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was just looking at snow socks as opposed to chains.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raceplate wrote:
http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/driving.htm

Well handy
Cheers
latest report
Megamum not sure what you mean about French road markings being appalling - I've not thought anything about them one way or another, and I drive a lot in France on all kinds of roads.

Not sure what you mean about Aaras either. Puzzled Am I being dim? My satnav just says "take the exit".

franzClammer, the snow socks are probably not as good as chains. But the snow socks you know how to put on, and put on promptly the first moment you feel a loss of traction are far better than the snowchains left in the boot because you can't be Arrased to grapple with them. wink I've seen quite a few cars with snow socks which seem to be doing well in quite difficult conditions.
latest report
+1 for snowsocks, we pulled in next to "Pierre" who was already holding up one of his chains, we had both socks on and were away before Pierre had one chain on
snow conditions
As others have said, the journey time from Calais is only 8-10 hours so if you leave early in the morning you'll get to your destination before nightfall. If this is a problem, then you probably need to work out your timings by going backwards from the time you'd like to arrive in the resort. Personally, I like to arrive for breakfast, so drive through the night and work n a couple of 30 minute naps in the car en-route. I do the drive myself while the family sleep, so as others have recommended I have all the major towns listed out so that I can choose my motorway junctions based upon whichever of the towns crops up next.
snow report
Is your car full or do you have space for a spare driver and an Oompa Loompa.

I've driven loads on the continent
snow conditions
if it is really bad snow socks don't count as chains as far as the Gendarmes are concerned and you will be turned around if they are checking for chains.. doesn't happen often but it does happen...
latest report
Not if you buy auto socks. (according to them anyway)

"AutoSock are approved for use in France!

AutoSock have been certified since 2010 for use in France as an alternative to metal snow chains where the B26 snow chain signs require snow chains to be carried. Visitors to France will need to download a sticker to fix to the AutoSock storage bag, and are also advised to download the relevant details, taken from the Gendarmerie website, an"

As ever winter tyres with the snowflake symbol on are the answer. I've never been asked to put chains on when i've got winter tyres on despite some horrific conditions last year. Always a first time though.
ski holidays
emwmarine, good to know, I stand corrected !
latest report
franzClammer, We usually overnight in Albertville, after an early start from the tunnel. The Ibis budget covers what we require.
It's then a relatively short drive to the 3V's.
Calais - Albertville 560 miles - 8 hours (plus stops), easily do-able in 9 hours.
Depending on the time of day we have usually chosen to miss out Lyons by turning off near Dijon,towards Dole and then past Bourg-en-Bresse and Lyon Airport, Chamberry, Albertville.
We do use a Sat Nav, even though we are used to the route, I find it useful to know how far to the next waypoint or destination.
When we stop, we refuel and keep stop times to a minimum.
Albertville Supermarket takes a hit for both food and a full fuel and avoid refueling in the 3V area.
Good quality screen wash, not the uk cr@p and have spare gloop in the car. Buying on the autoroute can be very expensive.
latest report
http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/countries/france/
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/35559/driving-abroad.pdf

Check your:
* insurance
* assistance/recovery
* warning triangle
* reflective jackets (for all passengers, I think)
* GB sticker
* headlamp deflectors
* winter tyres (useful if not compulsory)
* snow chains

And remember that between [hamlet] and [/hamlet] signs the speed limit is automatically 50kph - no other signs are required.
snow report
Quote:

for all passengers, I think

only mandatory for the driver in France, I think, but unless others are expendable, makes sense to have one each. Useful to have a small spade (kids beach style is fine) for clearing snow round wheels before putting chains on, and something nice to kneel on - a chunk of polystyrene is warm. And a headtorch, if it's dark. And baby wipes to clean up disgusting dirty hands afterwards (or just wipe on jeans).
snow report
All the above advice is good, really useful tip to have a headtorch as it saves a passenger (assuming you have one) needing to get out to hold the torch. If you are practising with chains try it with an old pair of thinnish ski gloves on, if you have a selection try different pairs. It can be done! My husband and oldest son have now perfected the technique and it makes the process less uncomfortable.

On one ski trip, admittedly towing the caravan though I don`t think that would have made any real difference watching other cars, we had to put chains on on the autoroute just outside Calais in the dark. Apart from 4x4`s we were the only vehicle able to keep going. The inside lane was just a parking lane for everything that had come to a standstill. We did not need the chains at any other time during that trip Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
you need to carry a breathalyser as well now in france...and you must be able to reach your relfective jacket(s) without getting out of the car.....

Interesting law I read in the AA link regarding sat navs with speed camera detectors being illegal, has anyone heard of folk using mobile phones/TomToms getting stopped???

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski, the law is on hold - you don't actually need a breathalyzer kit yet.

It's not illegal to use a satnav - even if it has the location of cameras in the UK. If you have the location of French cameras then simply turn off alerts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

ou need to carry a breathalyser as well now in france

not any more; they've dropped that one. I think it's only radar detectors which are illegal in France though I read somewhere (here probably) that they are all illegal in Switzerland.
snow report
altis, pam w, cheers, read this though re radar detectors

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/radar-detectors-in-france.html

Speed camera alerts in France
All systems now illegal whether radar detector or satnav/gps

Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

What should you do
If you have a satnav capable of displaying French camera locations in France then you must at least disable camera alerts before driving in France.
ski holidays
having done this journey a few times and about to do it again the above advice is all mostly good...I don't like giving the french money so I usually go Dunkirk lille luxembourg ,overnight in Besancon..then off to the 3 v ..result €0 tolls as against €70 on the autoroutes and cheap fuel in Lux... as to reflectives you have to have 1 per passenger IN the car..you have to carry all your documents including the v5 and as said do recommenced snow tyres ..got them on now..snow socks are not allowed by the gendarmes as a replacement for chains..so O would have a cheap pair in the car just in case..I haven't had to use mine yet,,,some french roads say chaines/pnue niege..before you go on
snow conditions
Quote:

some french roads say chaines/pnue niege..before you go on

indeed they do, but some say that all summer too, so a bit of commonsense is required. wink

My satnav has never bleeped or anything for speed cameras, so I guess the alert function is already turned off.

I drove through Belgium and Luxembourg once, having been staying with friends in Belgium. Didn't enjoy it. It was horrible. The roads were a mess, there was a lot of traffic at times and a lot of road works. And peculiar old hags in the toilets collecting money. I'd rather pay the French tolls from Calais and have an easier journey. As for cheaper petrol, the marginal difference isn't a lot, given the overall cost of skiing. viaMichelin makes the Luxembourg - Besancon route several hours longer, too. And the straight route down from Calais, almost all on fast, easy, empty, motorways (unless you choose a busy time) can also save you an overnight stop. I'm happy to do longer, more interesting, meandering route in summer but in winter, with just a week's holiday, I'd rather just get there.
ski holidays
its the same distance ...3 hours longer driving..the roads are ok (380 miles of Autoroute) and you save €75 each way..and I've never been stopped by "old Hags " at any of the motorway service stations on the way down...and your satnav wont beep it just shows them up if you haven't switched them off...its illegal...but if you're in that much of a rush and moneys no object use the autoroutes...but don't speed cos the French police will time you between tolls
ski holidays
DaveD,
Quote:

as to reflectives you have to have 1 per passenger IN the car

Not in France - only the driver.
Quote:

snow socks are not allowed by the gendarmes

Since 2010 they are allowed
Quote:

but don't speed cos the French police will time you between tolls

Well known urban myth

Any more uninformed crap you want to spread?
snow report
DaveD, maybe the old hags only inhabit the ladies' toilets.

3 hours extra driving, for me, would be the difference between being able to drive it in a day and needing to stop over, thus negating any saving on tolls. I'm not in a rush - I don't break the autoroute speed limits (even when it's raining) and on the odd occasions I've done a stopover I find I tend not to sleep very well. For me there's every advantage in using the French autoroutes but, as I said above, I do take the scenic route sometimes - and always drive across the Jura route, if it's daylight and there's no snow up there. It takes very little extra time and saves fuel and tolls.

I do the return trip at least 3 times a year, driving alone, and find that with some good audiobooks, downloaded podcasts from Radio 4 and a variety of music, the journey passes pleasantly enough. I stop every 2 hours for a coffee and to stretch my legs. I'm looking forward to the trip down on 17th December but won't be coming back till February; it's a long way just for a week and not always cheaper than flying.

Whatever gave you the idea that, for me, money was no object? All my eurotunnel crossings are paid for by Tesco clubcard points and I usually take some sandwiches, or cheese and bacon scones, and fruit.
snow report
as to speeding it might be an urban myth but with the size of French fines I wouldn't ...I still cant find anywhere where it says all socks are now legal only the Auto-socks site http://www.snow-chains.co.uk/faq.asp...http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres-brakes-suspension/142159-snow-socks-legal.html..and I wouldn't travel without 1 per passenger presume you don't care...
snow conditions
DaveD,
Quote:
as to speeding it might be an urban myth but with the size of French fines I wouldn't

What, €45 for doing 96mph if you're caught in person or nothing if it's on camera to a UK registered vehicle?

Obviously much worse than the court case, 3-6pts and c£500 fine you'd get in the UK.
ski holidays
Raceplate, You have forgotten the hike in insurance premiums.
latest report
I will let you lot take the gamble rolling eyes http://www.safetravel.co.uk/frenchspeedlimits.html... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-police-step-up-watch-on-british-drivers-8755609.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy