Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advise on where to ski, early intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Advise on where to go first week of Jan 2014, just me and my husband, he is a good red skier but I like blues and easy reds, have been about 5 times but I still get nervous apparently I think to much lol, looking at maybe Italy or SwitZealand as not been there, I loved val da sere, liked mayrhofen, liked Arinsol, and Bovets But Hated les de Alpes (to steep) just to give you an idea, was looking at maybe Madonna di campiglio, or Cervina any advise ? Looking for nice town and just some bars and restaurants.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
candylass, you would probably love Cervinia, it's almost all easy blues and reds, very wide and gentle. The town is nice enough and plenty of budget tasty Italian eateries, plus stunning views of the Matterhorn. You've also got the link to Zermatt for something more challenging (or lunch at five times the price). The only issue might be the weather, it's high and exposed so can be cold and/or windy. In fairness the week I was there (Feb 2012) it was a heatwave (+18ºC) so the snow was rubbish but the weather was fantastic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree re Cervinia, but in January you might want to go somewhere with more trees and less exposed in case of bad weather. To be honest, if you liked Val D'Isere (not the best for early intermediates in many ways), the world is your oyster! I am speaking as someone who has mostly skied in France, so I cannot give much help on elsewhere. The perennially recommended La Tania springs to mind. Les Carroz also ticks boxes too as long as you aren't big on nightlife-the nicest Grand Massif resort in my opinion offering guaranteed skiing into the village but without the architectural horror of Flaine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of blues and easy reds in the La Plagne ski area, lots of easy routes for the more nervous skier and plenty of decent red runs for the more confident ones.
Many of the high altitude villages don't have much character but some of the lower villages such as Champagny, Montalbert and Montchavin have plenty and lots of decent restaurants and bars.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 14-11-13 18:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sella Ronda area of the Dolomites would be perfect.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
candylass, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Madonna di Campiglio will give you what you are looking for. Staying in Folgarida (much quieter) would be a cheaper option, if that is a consideration. Certainly more going out options in Madonna - its a charming town and the skiing is very accessible.

The La Plagne suggestion is also good, though I'd probably suggest Belle Plagne - its quite small, but there are some nice bars and a few OK restaurants. Many places are ski in/out or close to and it is high.

If you can put up with longish transfers, Livigno is worth a look. Again, plenty of skiing options to suit. It is a larger town with plenty of apres and evening options. Good snow record, too, IIRC.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to agree with Carroz or Samoens also in the Grande Massif. As a whole it has a lot to offer to all levels and isn't too busy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

have been about 5 times but I still get nervous

welcome to snowheads, candylass, snowHead Maybe some really good tuition would help you? Maybe look for a resort with a branch of the British Alpine Ski School or another school which can guarantee small groups and a good level of English language. If you fancy Italy and a "nice town" I'd say that Madonna would be a lot nicer than Cervinia. Better scenery too. Look up both in Google Images and you'll see what I mean. You could probably get some recommendations here for instructors in Madonna; maybe a charming Italian? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morzine is pretty good with lots of reds and blues. There are tougher runs but the whole area is so big that you can take your pick.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zell am See is a nice town with plenty tree lined blues and reds to enjoy. Your ski pass also covers Kaprun, which is about half an hour away on the free ski bus. When I went with my wife we actually stayed in Kaprun and skied Kaprun and Zell on alternate days, which was great fun. Good mountain food and lots of restaurants in the town. Plenty other things to do too if you want a day or an afternoon off.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ Zell Am See is stunning, but a lot of the routes back to the town are very challenging, and a blue/easy reds skier would definitely want to take the bubble down.

I echo the Belle Plagne suggestion, La Plagne would be a great choice - or Les Arcs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Schladming in Austria good ... as can return to bottom in the gondola if need be ..nice village feel to it ..and has good snow records
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you considered Scheffau am Wilden Kaiser in the Skiwelt area of Tirol Austria? I am a ski instructor there and find that early intermediates love it, and in many cases return year after year. It offers nice easy blues, and flattish reds for a nice progression slope. Ive had people on these nice reds within a week of skiing, they are a perfect natural progression. There are also lots of challenging terrain for anyone who you travel with may want a challenge. Hope this helps!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy