Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier or Sauze d'Oulx in February

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So having booked up the Christmas trip to St Anton I'm now looking at booking a February trip away.

2 intermediate wannabee advanced skiers, looking for mainly reds with a few blacks to progress onto. Apres is not a major figure in our holidays, but somewhere to have a beer or two as you come off the piste is always good. Looking at the week starting 8/9th Feb.

Serre Chevalier and Sauze d'Oulx have popped up in my mind having looked around, seem well priced and we can get there flying from Bournemouth airport which is a bonus. The chalet Montalembert in Villeneuve looks like a good option - anyone stayed there before? Or perhaps Hotel Martin in Sauze d'Oulx.

So am I looking in the right area or should I be looking elsewhere?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-11-13 15:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another piece of perhaps useful information... Resorts we have skiied in the past couple of years include Les Arcs, 3V and Saalbach. Loved them all, but in particular Saalbach Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Presumably with crystal?

We went with them to chalet Montalembert a couple of years ago. Having been on several crystal holidays previously I can definitely state that it is our favourite. Really lovely chalet, great atmosphere, rustic feel. You walk up the back 50 yards and you are on a piste, and can effectively ski home.

Serre Che is a personal favourite as well, great resort, with very little waiting for lifts. New lifts mean that allot of the reported 'old out of date slow lifts' have been replaced, so dont read too much into that. Great variety of slopes. Not a massive apres scene, but a few bars to go too, and good restautants for night off.

Highly recommended, we are thinking of going back in the next year or two.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiG,
whats the cost of food & beer in SC like if you dont mind me asking?
Have had an eye on this place for quite a while but all my ski/boarding companions are stuck on Austria and often receit the price in resort to suggest why we should keep going back.
Thanks
Mitch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mitchell,
To be honest, I cant completely remember. Certainly was better than Courcheval which was our other trip that year. We were catered so only did one night in a restaurant. Think beers, lunches etc were pretty much middle of the road for resort prices.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mitchell, 12€ or so for plat de jour on the mountain which will usually be a pretty substantial plate of food. 8-10€ for spag bol or carbonara. 5€ for chips, beer 5€ for half litre.Wine 6-7 for 50cl carafe, 3€ a glass. Some places cheaper others more expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as Val Thorens which is our other trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells,
Sounds very reasonable to me. will put this forward as our next trip for sure Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
Mitchell, 12€ or so for plat de jour on the mountain which will usually be a pretty substantial plate of food. 8-10€ for spag bol or carbonara. 5€ for chips, beer 5€ for half litre.Wine 6-7 for 50cl carafe, 3€ a glass. Some places cheaper others more expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as Val Thorens which is our other trip.

And €40.90 for the Frejus Tunnel. Not to be missed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

And €40.90 for the Frejus Tunnel. Not to be missed.

Hey, the TO will cover that Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mitchell, they are more likely to take you via the Col du Lauteret if you're coming from Grenoble than stump up a tunnel fee.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not much in the way of genuine black runs but the Tabuc run in Monetier is black enough to squeeze the sphincter of most.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in Serre chevallier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cluas King, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'd agree in general terms with that. Worth noting that the Luc Alphand down into Chantemerle, whilst a fast red for much of the run, is definitely black for the last 200m or so - steep and straight and not so much 'fun' at the end of a busy day when is gets chopped up and moguled.

Casse du Boeuf is another relatively straight forward, tree-lined run with a tricky mid section - steep, often scrapped off, icy and narrow in parts. Have seen some carnage there once or twice.

Three good, tree-lined runs down into either Monetier, Villeneuve and Chantemerle IMHO.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Becstar, Against my better judgement went back to Sauze d'Oulx last year (group leader decision). The night-life isn't anywhere near as crass as it used to be, and we had lots of snow so conditions were fantastic. There's a reasonable amount of skiing to do but getting around it is desperate. No offence to any lovers of the place but I don't think the lift system has hardly been updated since the '80s. If you've enjoyed the lift system in Saalbach you're going to think you've landed on a planet that's only just discovered the wheel!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy