Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got views on rucksack type boot bags, to take on flights as hand luggage? Looking for a new bag and thought this might be a way of spreading the load around (previously boots and helmet go in hold luggage, eating into the normal 20kg limit). There are bags on the market to take both boots and helmet and still comply with airline size limitations. Some look alright, seen on line, but haven't found a stockist yet to look at one close up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a rucksack type boot bag and there is plenty enough room inside for a helmet as well. I usually have my boots, Mrs M's XC boots and a few other bits in there. I have never taken it on as hand baggage, and I suspect it wouldn't come in under the required dimensions for budget airlines, but you would probably be OK taking it on with a carrier like BA.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
borjh, last tim we flew with boots we just put them into regular cabin sized wheelie bags. Helmets, which dont weigh much and can be efficiently packed just went in the hold.

Even with budget airlines as long as you are within their hand luggage limits, even if they decide that the plane's too full, you are reasonably sure that your boots will arrive with you, the major advantage of having them in handluggage in the first place.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've bought a boot bag at Snow n Rock, nice and square, lots of acid to take my boots plus space for salopettes and maybe helmet. Should fit as hand luggage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottish Scrutineer,"acid" Shocked Puzzled

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 19-11-13 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for regular cabin baggage wheelie, fit end to end and you can fill 'em with socks n jocks and back lots in around them. Personally I've never hand hand luggage weighed going from Dublin with Ryanair ( and I do this a lot) so you should be set fair Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Transpack - http://www.transpack.net/bags.php?product_id=17
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't you buy an additional 5 kg of hold luggage.
I don't know who you are flying with, but be mindful of the limitations that some airlines have on hand luggage weight and volumes, as ski boots can be a challenge.

Having said that I normally manage to pack everything (clothes, ski boots, radios, jackets, etc) within a 20kg limit.
Its often worth considering how much weight your case/ bag takes up, I had an old Dakine wheelie 100 which weighed in at a massive 5Kg empty.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have one of the transpack bags. They just about fit on train overhead racks, but I reckon they'd be squeeze in a plane overhead locker, and they're big enough that the staff on the gate will probably make you put it in the hold. Once you've stuffed a few pairs of socks, gloves etc in there, the bag is pretty invincible (I do tie up the straps a bit), and I can't see much damage to boots or lid happening. And LH accepted it as a boot and a helmet bag that goes free as part of the free ski equipment baggage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
borjh,

BA maximum cabin bag dimensions are 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (most other airlines are similar, but many have a 20cm width). My boot backpack claims to be 35cm x 25cm x 40cm so it should be OK on BA, but TBH I think with my boots inside it would bulge a bit and those dimensions would be exceeded. Then again I have never flown on an airline where my cabin baggage has actually been measured/weighed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got this boot bag - http://www.skibartlett.com/salomon--boot-bag-gear--was-2499-6839-p.asp

With a 26.5 pair of boots it goes in the hand luggage fine. Although both times I've flown with EasyJet, they have offered to check it in along with my hold luggage for no extra charge.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
borjh, It was my impression that the boots and skis together constituted the sports equipment and the boots were not counted against the rest of the luggage allowance.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
borjh, It was my impression that the boots and skis together constituted the sports equipment and the boots were not counted against the rest of the luggage allowance.

maybe that's why EasyJet offered to check mine in, both times I'd paid extra for skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The last few times I've flown with EJ, Jet2 and Finnair they've all offered to check in my hand luggage (not ski gear), I assume they offer to do it for anyone with large carry on baggage to speed up the boarding process.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy