Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Flaine to other Grand Massif towns - for non-skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Big group of us going skiing in February, but some are non-skiers. Flaine is looking to be a good option for accommodation cost, but I was there in Feb this year and remember there isn't much to do in Flaine.

Wondered what the links are to other towns in Grand Massif, like Morillon, Samoens, and Sixt? I know how to get to them for skiers, but what about non-skiers? Is there a shuttle bus between from Flaine to the other towns?

Also, what activities are there to do in Flaine, aside from awesome snowboarding?!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ice driving: http://www.circuitglace.com

Look in here under "Sensations" http://www.flaine.com/en/index.htm Snow Shoeing, Indoor climbing wall. Snow shoeing on the top of the mountain is pretty cool on a good day, you are very quickly away from the noise and sights of all the machinery within a few 100m with amazing views of the Mont Blanc Massif. obviously you need a guide to lead you, but they tend to lay on a decent experience for a group. Some do evening torchlit snow shoeing through forest paths to restaurants and igloos etc.

There is a new Pool and Spa open to the public. Not sure about frequent bus services to be honest to there resorts in the network though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a bit of a mission to get to the other towns. I think there may be a local bus between Flaine and Les Carroz, but even that may be infrequent and only when the lifts shut. But...if you want to get around to Morillon and Samoens, it's a drive to Araches (the village a mile or so beyond Les C) then turn right to drive around the side of the mountain and onto the route towards Morillon. I don't think there are any regular local buses at all as I recall the panic of those who ended up stuck in Flaine one rally windy day when they closed the lifts. It's probably about 10miles from Les Carroz to Morillon. Taxi may be your only route. Samoens is definitely worth a visit-very pretty and such a contrast to Flaine.
The other option is to see if the chairlifts take pedestrians, but I don't think they do - unlike in some areas.
I went snow showing with my folks a few years ago in the valley and trees near the Molliets lift. We had a lovely half day with a guide/owner of http://www.lavachequiride.com/vqr2_nous.html. He is based in Les C, but I reckon that he will travel! Martial spoke excellent English and was very enthusiastic about nature and the local environment.
Otherwise...Flaine is one of the least non skier friendly venues I can think of. Good luck if you decide to go....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rydude, i can't think of anything other than what Perty, suggests. And it's not, afaik, set up for pedestrians to use chairs (it's the downloading that's more of an issue).

If Flaine is looking good in Feb, either you are outside of school hols or you will be in rabbit hutches, possibly sharing with the rabbits. If outside of school hols look to somewhere a little less known e.g. La Clusaz which is a bit more of a town?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perty, +1 for your comments but unless a new route has been started there is no scheduled bus or shuttle between Flaine and LC as we found out the hard way a few years ago. I believe there is a staff bus first and last thing for local workers but unsure if it is available for tourists.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty, +1 for your comments but unless a new route has been started there is no scheduled bus or shuttle between Flaine and LC as we found out the hard way a few years ago. I believe there is a staff bus first and last thing for local workers but unsure if it is available for tourists.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rydude, Flaine is great for snowsports but to echo what's already been said, it's possibly one of the worst resorts I know for non-skiers Sad How are you getting to the resort? Having a car might be useful? (Unless they are happy to snowshoe/read/chill in resort). It's a couple of years since I last visited but there is a small ice rink in Forum near the Church iirc.

There used to be a ski bus that picked up from Grands Vans chair? I assumed that went to Les Carroz. And there are more apartments in that area now so the layout may have changed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rydude, you'd be much better going to a slightly bigger resort, like Morzine maybe? Flaine is really not great for non-skiers!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marmotte16 wrote:
Rydude, There used to be a ski bus that picked up from Grands Vans chair? I assumed that went to Les Carroz.

That's what we assumed and it only went to the top of the hill, adjacent to the barracks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Echoing everything that has been said here mate… My advise, if you have several non-skiers… Find somewhere else as there is not a great deal there other than getting up the lifts etc. etc. The drive around to the other villages is an effort and if bad weather not an enjoyable effort either…

CAn you not stay ion Les Carroz? Still not masses to do but it is a) closer to the other villages and b) has the village centre at least (IMO still not much consolation though).

As has ben already suggested, I would recommend looking at a bigger village/town to go to like Morzine/LesGets…

Having been there (never stayed) several times, I could not imagine being there and not hitting the hills… Shocked

Good luck in your decision dude...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your help and advice guys! Seems like Flaine is out of the question then.

Some of the group are... tight... for want of a nicer word. It's making getting somewhere that pleases everyone quite difficult...

Will have a look at some of the places you've all recommended!

Cheers

Ryan
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For non-skiers in the Grand Massif I think Samoens is the only village you'd want to stay in. Mayrhofen would be a good alternative - some good values accommodation there and it's a proper town with stuff to do. It also has train connections to Innsbruck for days out and easy mountain access for the non-skiers if they want to come up for lunch.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil wrote:
marmotte16 wrote:
Rydude, There used to be a ski bus that picked up from Grands Vans chair? I assumed that went to Les Carroz.

That's what we assumed and it only went to the top of the hill, adjacent to the barracks.

rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rydude wrote:
Thanks for your help and advice guys! Seems like Flaine is out of the question then.

....but only until you have the whole group skiing or leave those that don't behind wink
snow report
I have a feeling that there is a regualr bus service tio Chamonix
ski holidays
There is a regular bus service between Flaine & Cluses in the valley - it goes through Carroz on the way down.
From Cluses you can get a bus to Samoens, Chamonix, Geneva, etc - even one to the airport although the train is better
Not sure of times (I think there are only one or two a day) but there is a timetable at the tourist information centre in Forum - the buses leave from just outside
Note this a regular bus service not a ski bus - skis have to go with the luggage - the resort navettes only go as far as Hameau & the army barracks
ski holidays
Rydude I know it's a different country but have you considered Innsbruck? Close to skiing but things to do for non-skiers too.
snow report
Rydude, I'd throw in a curve ball and suggest Are, Sweden. Self catering accom not too costly, skiing good ( loads of teletubbies runs, ie again again again) unless you are completely hardcore 50 km a day sort and for the non skier, loads to do. Skidoos, dog sledding, ice fishing, snow shoeing, ice driving.

People fear the cost, but its no more expensive than France. Alcohol from System Bolaget costs about the same as in the uk too. Beer in bars costs about the same as French resorts, but shots and spirits ARE expensive.

I would agree with most others on here, Grand Massif not an ideal place for non skiers.

Hope where ever you go you get a good trip.
snow conditions
Rydude, There is quite a bit to do in Les Carroz, if your non skiers want to be active, we regularly have non skiers coming to stay with us, they do loads, especially snowshoes and husky dogs and yes the village is not very big, but its much better than Flaine. You can get the bus to Cluses and then to Chamonix if you really want a day out, however there are lots of activities and new swimming / spa complex in les carroz, way enough for a week. Go in Les Carroz balloon if you have the money.............ice driving in Flaine..............etc

the brochure is here

http://www.lescarroz.com/uploads/LES-CARROZ-Hiver-2014-VF-Web.pdf
snow conditions
The truth is there is plenty to do in Flaine:

Ice skate
Snow Shoe
Dog Sled
Indoor Climbing wall
Ice Driving
Bowling Alley
Cinema
Indoor Pool and Spa (new this year)
Up load on the DMC lift and look at amazing view of Mont Blanc
Lots of cafes and restos to hang in Forum
Best on slope retaurants (Epices and Pentes a Jules) both easily pedestrian accessible
Church!
Frequent Tourist office specials ( Music week, Poker Week)

The problem is you think you are on an inner city council estate!
snow conditions
mishmash, Flaine can't be that bad, you get classes of design students going around it busy drawing in the summer........
snow report
carroz, they are learning how NOT to design a town.
latest report
Quote:

There is a regular bus service between Flaine & Cluses in the valley - it goes through Carroz on the way down.

Indeed - I got a coach from Flaine to Les Carroz two years ago when I started to feel very unwell and didn't feel able ot ski back to Les Carroz
snow report
thecramps wrote:
carroz, they are learning how NOT to design a town.

When skiing down to Flaine from the main cable car the original resort blends into the landscape and could almost be missed from a distance, not something that can be said of the multi-coloured (hameau) complex that despite being "traditional" and "pretty" up close is a real blot from a distance.

I certainly wouldn't want all resorts to be built like Flaine but given what the designers set out to do I think it is fantastic and wish others considered the landscape a bit more. Just building something twee is just not an answer.
snow conditions
You have to wonder if they really understood the fact that Flaine is a winter resort when building it. The blending thing works a treat in Summer but less successfully in the winter I think. Quite like it though.
snow conditions
I think it works well in winter from the slopes / mountains but understand how some people might struggle with it up close especially if you can't get past "its concrete"

I guess maybe I am equally blinkered as I really like "most" of the design and am a bit of a fan of Brutalism Architecture - as well as others
snow report
LDM, i'm with you on the blending in, and I like to design, the info on the first floor of the forum centre I find really interesting on how it details the idea and development of the resort. The view down to Flaine is significantly better than the one down to Tignes IMHO Very Happy On things to do I would add going for a walk to any non skier through on the forest tracks anywhere, up from Flaine Forum to Hammeau is nice, shame nowhere to get a coffee once your there though Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re: Flaine - I think it looks much more "sympathetic" than Avoriaz (been there), La Plagne and Tignes (only seen pictures) which all 3 I think look much worse (photographically)! I think actually better in the winter than summer, though in the summer, the huge "lawn' of Forum is very pleasant. Wouldn't want to actually live in Forum though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy