Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deterioration in fabric performance

Poster: A snowHead
I have a Helly Hansen long parka coat. Not for skiing, it's too big and bulky, but for general winter wear in cold wet weather.

It's less than 2 years old and when it was new it was amazing in terms of both warmth and waterproofness. I have only washed it once or twice (fortunately it is a dark grey colour so very practical) but have noticed a definite deterioration in performance after washing; it's no longer as warm or as waterproof. I have washed it in Grangers.

It seems that the down has 'washed away' some, it's definitely thinner, and the rain no longer 'beads' and runs off the fabric but wets it.

Any suggestions as to whether it's possible to restore the fabric in any way? Should I wash it more? Tumble it? Iron it? Any other products to try?

It was an expensive coat and it still looks great so I don't want to get a new one but I would like it to perform more as it did.

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, is it down? If so, you can get a specific down wash, which followed by a tumble dry (ideally with tennis balls/tumble dry balls/clean trainers) has worked very well for us.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-11-13 19:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it Goretex?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, kitenski, thanks it is both down filled and 'Helly Tech' fabric, not a current style but most like this jacket http://shop.hellyhansen.com/gb/item/w-arctic-legacy-flow-parka-51412/?t_type=src&COLOR=990%20BLACK&t_type=cat
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tumble drying may well restore the DWR and get the rain "beading"
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, under a new name, thanks, I thought tumble drying helped too but I've just looked up the FAQs on the HH site and it says NOT to tumble dry Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, hmmm, don't tumble dry hot! Tumbling helps the clumped down re-separate and for some DWRs it "activates" them.

My all time favourite jacket had sewn in manufacturer labels say do not tumble dry and original Gore-Tex ones saying must tumble dry. (Maybe other way round)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From ther HH website:

Waterproof/breathable garments, including HELLY TECH, should be washed in warm water with a technical wash (see care label in garment for recommended temperature). Ensure all zippers and fasteners are closed. Rinse thoroughly to remove all detergent residues. Do not use fabric softener as it breaks down Helly Tech and do not tumble dry. Do not dry clean or iron.

also...

Make sure the garment is clean (see How Do I Clean My Garment?), then apply a DWR (durable water repellent) spray-on or wash-in solution so that water continues to "bead" (water droplets appear to slide off) on the outer surface. Helly Hansen does not recommend any particular spray; leading brands include Nikwax, Grangers and McNett. Read the label on the spray for user advice.

http://www.hellyhansen.com/about-us/faq
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musher, the care section for the piece sarah linked to says "tumbly dry cold" Puzzled how confusing!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno,

Presumably to fluff up the down?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought spray-on or wash-in DWR treatments required tumble drying on low heat to set the DWR properties?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, no I didn't! I wouldn't ever tumble dry hot! And that is exactly what I thought, tumble to fluff up and re-activate the DWR but the HH website seems to say not Puzzled

musher, I read it too, thanks and then thought Puzzled

Arno, Princess?, exactly, I am very confused as to what to do for the best.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, are they natural down?? that will refluff but artificial wont....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, i'd get the appropriate wash and tumble dry medium/cool...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, 80% goose down, 20% goose feather

The sewn in label says tumble dry low which is what I did.

under a new name, any recommendations for a wash, I really rate Grangers but in this case it hasn't done well.

Maybe I should get a spray on re-proofer rather than a wash-in one??
ski holidays
sarah, i don't know the brand in my badment, it may be Nik-Wax
snow report
sarah, it shoudl fluff up then when dry, if slightly damp the feathers stick together....
snow report
kitenski, I haven't washed it recently, what I meant was the last time I washed it it seemed to be thinner/flatter and less warm afterwards as if the feathers had washed away.

I am going to try it again. I can't decide whether to try Grangers again, pure soap flakes as they are often recommended for tech fabrics and I've had good results with that before or something else. Also need to get a re-proofer.

Maybe the tennis balls are key, I have never used them before.

Thanks all Smile
snow report
sarah, I'm guessing here but a wash in re-proofer, would potentially "stick" to the down and make it less fluffy????

looks like there is a special down wash!! http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/outdoor-clothing/cleaning-and-waterproofing/nikwax-loft-down-wash-300ml

lots of detail here http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/gear-guides/cleaning-and-reproofing-down-jackets
ski holidays
sarah, Wikipedia says. "Fill power of down tends to diminish as the down gets dirty and mats. The fill power of a down article can be restored by washing the article in a washing machine with or without detergent (mild) and dried in a home dryer. Tennis balls can be added to help fluff the down. Alternatively, the washing can be skipped and the down article can be placed in the dryer with a damp rag for 10–20 minutes. The idea is to open up the matted down clusters with warm air and moisture."

I used a McKinley product. I'm sure the Nikwax versions of Down Wash and Down Proof will work as well. The tumble drying is, I think, key.
snow report
sarah wrote:
Maybe I should get a spray on re-proofer rather than a wash-in one??

Yes I wouldn't use a wash in re-proofer on anything but a shell jacket (without liner) otherwise the re-proofer gets onto everything and could reduce the performance of the liner (e.g. moisture transportation)
ski holidays
DB, but presumably if Nikwax have a wash through down proofing product, it'll be designed to be washed through down?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
DB, but presumably if Nikwax have a wash through down proofing product, it'll be designed to be washed through down?

Read somewhere (I'll try to find the link) that the wash through stuff for Hard shells and down garmonts reduced the performance. Find it hard to believe that the DWR coating only sticks to the outer coating of the jacket.
snow report
DB, sure, I do see what you mean. I've never noticed reduced performance from that myself.
ski holidays
kitenski, thanks! some of that sounds like a right PITA though such as keep washing with no detergent until garment is clean and then use the down wash! And the tumble dry 10 mins at a time! I'll be at it all day Laughing

under a new name, DB, thanks!

Right the plan......I will get the down wash and wash and dry the jacket according to the advice. If the DWR is not revitalised on its own then I will try the down proof, if that then makes the down stick together I will repeat the above but then use a spray on proofer. Phew Laughing
ski holidays
If you're prepared to exchange money for time, there are places which will do professional cleaning of down gear. I can't actually recommend one to you, but a little searching might turn up something useful. For all I know, they might do reproofing too.

As a last resort, you could try asking Helly for advice. They might have something useful to say, you never know!
snow report
For spray on proofread, try Musto or Gill spray for a chandlers. Much better performance in a recent test I was reading.
snow report
UPDATE so after waiting til the weekend to get chance to go to the outdoors shop to get some down wash, they didn't stock it Sad Should have ordered it online. Anyway they did have various other washes and I read the bottles. It seems that these tech washes are just soap based. So in the absence of the down wash I decided to wash it in pure soap flakes. I bought the spray on re-proofer.

So I have washed it, re-proofed it and tumbled it (I managed to get some tumble dryer balls at a £ shop) and it seems to have come up well. It has been in the drier lots of times and shaken and puffed up in between, it is very hard to dry through as it is so thick. So I have had it on a heated towel rail too and then it can go back in the drier for another puffing up. It is definitely puffier than it was, it had gone quite flat, so hopefully it will be warmer again. Lovely sunny day here today so will report back on the waterproofness after the next downpour! Thanks all for the helpful advice and comments.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy