Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge & Wax Boot Fitting - any comments?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm buying some ski boots for this winter and hoped someone might be able to provide a review of Edge & Wax in West Sussex? After several years of hiring these will be my first boots so I would like to go somewhere that's got a personal recommendation rather than putting my self in the hands of a big chain like a Snow and Rock.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bloody long way from east Yorkshire
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In East Yorkshire I'd be heading to Ellis Brigham at Castleford or Glide and Slide in Otley. Not knocking Edge and Wax but they are a long way from East Yorkshire when there are good boot fitters close to home.

I've had foot beds done at Ellis Brigham in Castleford, all be it some years ago but they did a good job. Can't remember his name (maybe Julian) but they had a very in house boot fitter. I'm sure even if he's left, the knowledge was retained in store.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
to add to Dot., suggestions you could also consider Graham at http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/

Julian was talking of moving on from Ellis Brigham and setting up on his own....would be interesting to see where he's ended up at!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry - I moved about two weeks ago to Sussex, I haven't quite got around to updating everything! I'm actually only about half an hour's drive from Edge & Wax but being new to the area don't know the shop.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't get boots fitted but they did help me iron out a problem I had with existing boots, seem to know their stuff and friendly staff.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
also, they do a snowheads discount.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

Julian was talking of moving on from Ellis Brigham and setting up on his own....would be interesting to see where he's ended up at!

Julain was with us for 6 years, including 3 as he trained as a podiatrist. He qualified a while back and moved to work with Sidas full-time, though he does do the odd guest appearance with us, including the London Ski Show. He'll be doing a clinic or 2 in the shop at Cas soon, if you want to benefit from his new skills.

He left us with some very well trained staff!

Top bloke and deserves way more credit as one of the UK's very top boot guys.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve@EllisB wrote:
.....Top bloke and deserves way more credit as one of the UK's very top boot guys.

+1
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've nothing but praise for Scot at Edgeandwax. Scot himself spent about 3 hours one evening trying to get a pair of boots to fit me correctly as I've got strange feet apparently. The boots he sold me have been great and only after 5 yrs am I thinking of seeing if I could get them tweeked slightly.

It's hard to get hold of Scot these days, but Harry's always been a top guy there too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve@EllisB, thanks for the update on Julian, he fitted my first ever pair of boots at Centresport 25+ years ago I reckon!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, snap ^^^, though in my case it was only about 20 years ago.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, midgetbiker, I think he must have fitted nearly anyone in west yorkshire from Centre Sport. I had at least a couple of pairs off him.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmmmm.........and I've been using the footbeds Julian made ever since (until Colin made me some a year ago), AND they were recycled ones that Julian took out of his own boots!

so that would be about 500 days skiing maybe Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gixxerniknik wrote:
I've nothing but praise for Scot at Edgeandwax.

+1 - Scott spent over 2 hours fitting mine 5 years ago and they are as snug as when I bought them - never needed any tweaking at all.
snow report
I bought my boots from Edge & Wax a month ago. I visited 4 shops before driving the 4 hours to to Edge & Wax where I finally settled on a pair of Full Tilt Soul Sisters Smile The fitting service was good, it was very relaxed and the guys knew their stuff. Plus they didn't mind me asking to try certain boots on that they didn't automatically bring out, or that I spent about an hour wandering round trying to decide if they felt good. There was also no pressure on my buying a certain boot - they left all of the final decisions to me and only provided impartial advice. Great considering at a chain store the guy was trying to sell me Superfeet before I'd even tried a single boot on, and told me the first boot I tried (which was excruciatingly painful) was "the one for me".

Alternatively, I'd highly recommend Lockwoods if you don't happen to find anything at Edge & Wax that suits. Again, nice professional guys that know their stuff Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy