Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurer that made helmets compulsory says "77% of our customers now wear them"

Poster: A snowHead
One year ago - November 2012 - British newspapers ran the surprising news that the ski insurance provider Essential Travel was making helmets compulsory, despite no conclusive evidence that the vast increase in sales has reduced fatal or serious head injuries ...

Daily Telegraph report, 5 Nov 2012
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/9656051/Ski-helmets-made-mandatory-by-travel-insurer.html
Daily Mail report, 6 Nov 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2228595/Travel-insurance-company-makes-ski-helmets-compulsory-customers.html

One year later, Essential Travel says ...

A whopping 77% of our customers now wear a helmet whilst skiing or snowboarding
http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/travelinsurance/use-your-head/

There seems to be a fairly obvious 'logic crisis' here. Can anyone shed any light on the apparent contradiction?

How can you be a customer of Essential Travel if you're not wearing a helmet?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe the wording is a give away, if your off piste then do you need to wear a helmet?

Quote:
Now in it’s 3rd year, our Use Your Head campaign is back to promote the benefits of wearing a helmet whilst on piste. A whopping 77% of our customers now wear a helmet whilst skiing or snowboarding - a 15% increase in just 2 seasons!

But more of a worry will have to have a word with the wife about her Facebook posts showing up on their site Shocked A Snowshepherd wearing a Fozi headband around her helmet wow now there's something I should not be advertising Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

There seems to be a fairly obvious 'logic crisis' here. Can anyone shed any light on the apparent contradiction?

How can you be a customer of Essential Travel if you're not wearing a helmet?

Quite obvious.. you don't care or you didn't read the small print and was blissfully unaware until surveyed after you returned from your trip. Just as there's folk driving cars with undeclared modifications, people will ski without helmets and just not care.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, it says:

Quote:
No helmet, No insurance

This year, our message is clear – it is now compulsory that you wear a helmet whilst participating in winter sports activities to be fully covered by our fantastic winter sports travel insurance policies.

So, if only 77% of their customers wear one, that means 23% aren't (Maths A-level not wasted) and, presumably, they aren't insured Shocked Has anyone told them?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, Of course not.... ET have just saved themselves 23% on their claims outgoings. wink Prepare for good news for shareholders this year... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They just aren't counting on having an accident and probably had snow guarantees or luggage loss insurance in mind more than having an accident.

If you don't have an accident but claim for lost baggage they aren't going to ask if you were wearing a lid Wink

I wonder what happens in the event of a claim for a lost helmet NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you don't have an accident but claim for lost baggage they aren't going to ask if you were wearing a lid Wink

What and lose a chance to refuse to pay out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should the headline then not be: "23% of customers ripped off in insurance mis-selling scandal"?

Do these helmet clad happy people actually get cheaper premiums?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Their other triumph ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103294 Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perhaps the other 23% took insurance with another insurer as well. But also note you need a helmet "to be fully covered by our fantastic winter sports travel insurance policies", so it is not really compulsory (maybe just cheaper).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beequin, It depends on what their definition of un-'fully covered' is dunnit?

Bode Swiller, Missed that one... thanks for the giggle Laughing If Snivel made insurance policies...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

23% of customers ripped off in insurance mis-selling scandal"

yup! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even if I wore a helmet I wouldn't use them on principle.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, well spotted, it's the "leg binding" people.

HEY useless journalist people - there's a story for ya! Insurance company attempts to manipulate data with moronic questionnaire and achieves little other than to demonstrate that they've no idea at all about the sports they're trying to market to. The fact that they're supposed to be assessing our risk seems somewhat concerning. Leg bindings, give me strength.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig, yes and the immortal question we've all been burning to ask:

Quote:
Do you carry avalanche equipment (spade, gadgets to help you be found etc) with you?

"found etc" presumably means found or not found Laughing
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
presumably, they aren't insured Shocked Has anyone told them?

They should ask for a refund !
snow conditions
Nina Montgomery and/or Essential Travel - can anyone make sense of that gobbledegook - she says it is now compulsory that customers wear helmets but immediately below is a banner box saying get a 15% discount if you wear a helmet implying that there is an undiscounted price. I'm taking a punt that she's the same genius who posted the spade survey.
ski holidays
fatbob, I've tweeted that question to them. See if we get a reply.
snow report
I'm beginning to feel I should avoid all non-essential travel and essential travel, in addition to avoiding helmets.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy