Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First go at snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Ooh, the latest spam Chill Factore have sent me has an offer for half price lessons if booked and started by the 27th of this month (code BTR50 works for any lessons ski or board) so have booked a learn to board in a day session next Tues. Should be some good exhausing fun!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davkt, enjoy yourself; it's certainly exhausting. Two days after my "learn in a day" effort I could scarcely move, I was so stiff and whiplashed. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know what to expect after doing the learn to ski in a day then the the learn to carve in a day at Tamworth. Not sure the Chille Factore course will leave me ready for the Tamworth hardpack though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I'm just back from Chill Factore and can now snowboard (well sort of!) Lots learnt but only so much can be crammed into a day. I now know how to strip the piste of snow using both the heel and toe edges (first thing they teach snowboarders it would seem!). But on the slightly less destructive side we'd all just about got falling leaf sorted by morning coffee then the rest of the morning we were working on turns going from edge to edge, seems I fell over more when I stopped between turns as we were told to than when doing anything else, but got it mostly sorted apart from when I forgot how to stand on the board!
After lunch onto linking turns and by the end of the afternoon we were all (mostly) happily linking turns down the main slope.
So far not feeling half as wrecked as at this stage after the skiing learn in a day course though digging out some impact shorts and borrowing Emily's (my 14yo snowboarder) wrist guard mittens was certainly a good plan! Probably helps I am fitter than when I did the ski courses.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 24-10-13 17:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt, that sounds terrific - well done! Bet you'll be stiff tomorrow though. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep was great fun, was a bit worried at first with 10 of us in the lesson but then they merged our class with the day course starting 30 min later which only had 1 student so 11 of us and 2 instructors worked well.
Just found this adspeak gem on Chill Factores website though "The main slope at Chill Factore is a challenging 15 degrees, which is equivalent to a difficult blue run or an easy red run in the Alps. " Hmm think there copywriter needs a trip to somewhere like Les Deux Alpes where there slope might qualify as a tame green!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
davkt, that sounds terrific - well done! Bet you'll be stiff tomorrow though. wink

I am feeling it a bit this morning but no more than after a full days skiing really. The one slight oddity is the big bruise on my upper left arm, most strange as all the times I fell it was either sitting down (usually right after I'd stopped) or catching the toe edge and landing on my knees, no proper heap on the floor spills.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davkt, sounds like you picked it up fairly quickly. When you give it a go in resort you'll be cruising blues by the end of the first day. Worth trying to ride switch a bit too whilst you're still quite new to it, I reckon. It's something I didn't do and feel perfectly natural regular but a complete clutz riding switch, although this maybe due to surfing........

Keep going with it, then on the next powder day you'll really see the light....... Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How does Chill Factore compare to Xscape at Castleford? the reason I ask, is that we live only 6 miles or so from Xscape, and last time we went (several years ago) we were bored after a few minutes.
My son hasn't boarded for a few seasons and wants a quick trip to an indoor slope to brush up his skills before a holiday this season. Is it worth the battle across the M62 to Manchaster, or will we find it very similar to Castleford?
Thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
p.kini, I don't think you'll find Chill Factore much more interesting than Xscape, the slope is slightly longer and wider I think and the only time skied at Castleford the beginners slope was occupying a big chunk of the lower slope, at CF the beginners slope is a separate area so better. Certainly no more than a minute or two waiting for the lifts (and the longest waits were when my class mates got it a bit wrong!) yesterday but I don't remember there been much of a queue at Castleford either.
For me on skis the way to make the indoor slopes interesting is to use them to practice drills and technique as if you just go to ski/snowboard down the slope each run will only last a few seconds and involve 3 or 4 turns.
How good is your son? All the fridges do sessions there they put rails, kickers and the like on the slope if he is into that sort of thing which would make it more interesting.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 23-10-13 20:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok thanks .

David my son is or was 4 years ago expert on the mountain, but less so in the park. ( He's done Delirium Dive at Sunshine Village)
He just hasn't been on his board for 4 years and didn't want to go on holiday totally raw. He actually learnt at Xscape as a young teenager on a summer camp. We just wondered if Chill Factore was worth the trip or not. I think that just for a quick catch up we'll stick with a quick trip to Xscape. Thanks for the heads up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
p.kini, Unless he just wants to go for poops and giggles, don't bother. Unless you're got a reason to go, like freestyle or you're comitting to riding the whole session switch or something, then its a snooze.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
p.kini, No problem, I'd say Xscape would be fine for an hours practice runs and just getting back into it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps we should just book a quick 1 hour session to satisfy his curiosity and then head off for lunch and a quick browse at the boards and skis in the stores there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davkt, Welcome to the dark side, no looking back now Toofy Grin
snow report
robapplegate, well I think it better be skis on holiday as its the only way I'll have the remotest chance of keeping up with the darling daughters, skier aged 9 and boarder 14 unless I can sneak in a full season practising my boarding before our hols at Easter without them noticing.
snow conditions
davkt, I gave up keeping up with my daughters years ago. Just do my own thing and blow them out off piste, I'm not as fast as them but I've still got more bullocks
snow conditions
Well with me on skis I'm faster than the boarder but if I look like been as fast as the little skier I get told in no uncertain terms her skis need waxing!
latest report
Quote:

I get told in no uncertain terms her skis need waxing!

Laughing
ski holidays
Oh and robapplegate little skier goes to Charlotte at Easiski for her lessons so not much chance I'd keep up off piste either after their escapades this Easter!
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

I get told in no uncertain terms her skis need waxing!

Laughing

And on at least one occasion last holiday she dug the Notwax out of the hotel room and toddled off to the ski room and did them herself while I was having some post ski coffee and cake!
snow report
Quote:

did them herself

Good to hear it.
My elder is helping out with the waxing too, but then she is 22 rolling eyes
snow conditions
robapplegate, Was probably down to me saying no I wasn't going to wax them as she was fast enough already going into the jump someone had built between the green runs just behind the hotel!
latest report
robapplegate wrote:
davkt, Welcome to the dark side, no looking back now Toofy Grin

That ^ in spades! I'm also having so much fun with this, enjoy!
ski holidays
Email from CF saying I can have another half price lesson if I take it inside 2 weeks of the first so think I might do their intermediate day lesson next week, sounds like for the most part it practicing and perfecting the stuff on the beginner day so just what I need.
latest report
Can't do any harm.
snow conditions
Was back for the improver day yesterday and more great fun. Didn't quite finish the level 6 bit as I have a bad cold and as a result packed in mid afternoon as I was just starting to make more and more silly mistakes and wasn't quite getting the switching edge early in the turns right. But I'll do that bit soon as I've got another 50% off code.Different instructor this time who is busy studying for his final Level 4 ISTD test in couple of months so top notch tuition.
snow conditions
davkt, who was the instructor, out of curiosity? Probably know him!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd, Mini Mansell (who is on here sometimes) plus Craig who is doing his L4 for the beginners course and Craig again for the improver day. Both great instructors and interesting chatting to Craig about all the FIS points he's had to win and gear he has had to buy for the L4. Going on Monday night to finish off the level 6, I know what to do its just the cold seemed to have slowed down instructions between brain and legs at the end of the last session so was tending to trip myself up rather than make the the turn!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy