Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in deeper snow, how?

Poster: A snowHead
clarky999, Eh? I don't see the contradiction, that's exactly the fun I get on my Preachers from that sort of skiing, I wasn't suggesting bum wriggling. But I have seen a few people learning on fat skis trying to just use the outside ski
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the rocks, how do you make high-angulation turns without a fairly wide stance and outer ski dominance?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, carefully?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, by keeping the skis close together.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine skier, I can't picture how you can possibly ski a fast high-angle turn with your feet together whilts remaining balanced. If you don't flex the inner leg more (thus wider stance) you'll just end up loading the inside ski and losing the outside.

Photos?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I also don't understand why you would want to ski big fast pow turns with a narrow stance and equal weighting in the first place though, (remember we are talking about when on fat skis here!), what's wrong with using the outside ski?

I'm confuuuuused (and bored, lying in the bath with a sore back and nothing better to do than arguing about skiing).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
On the rocks, how do you make high-angulation turns without a fairly wide stance and outer ski dominance?

You don't of course, I must have missed that in the OP's question
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the rocks, I think that's why he quoted the bit where you were talking about fat skis when he bought this up a couple of posts ago.

You described skiing with a dominant ski as 'cheating'. If you're going to say something at least try to keep the story straight. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, yes that's what I meant.

On the rocks, guess we're both getting confused about who's saying what Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/xFT5UyqVPEA

Stop thinking... get out there... do it.

You'll pick it up... along with many yard sales. It's all good fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999,

I'm starting to get worried. You seem to be fantasizing about middle aged men in the bath with a fiver clenched between their but cheeks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher, can I please unread what you typed?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher, Laughing

You're thinking about me in the bath Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Poodle, did you mean to post this on the Chalet Girl thread? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well . . . it has to supposed that skiing whilst holding a fiver clenched 'tween yer butt cheeks will keep your feet closer together Confused
snow report
Yes, but how many people - middle aged men or otherwise - do you know who ski in a bath?
ski holidays
oldmancoyote, been to many end of season parties?
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
snowball, Andrew was skiing with us and he snapped some really nice shots. The last couple of photos in the Scotland thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101916&start=40 were taken by him.
Very nice, I'm suitably envious Very Happy

swiftoid page 4 - Ah yes, I see what you mean Embarassed
(But I expect you knew what I meant)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 19-11-13 13:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Masque wrote:
oldmancoyote, been to many end of season parties?
Never with bathtubs long enough, apparently Smile
snow report
Pretend your skis are a snowboard, try to keep them close together, flat and don't use the edges. Actually picture them going through the snow as one, like a snowboard. And if you fall, DO NOT take your skis off- getting up & putting them back on will be a nightmare wink
snow report
Humpfknick wrote:
flat
Do you mean not tipped over on to their edges? How will they turn?
snow conditions
Humpfknick, sorry, should have said "welcome to snowHeads"! Very Happy
latest report
Humpfknick, welcome, I'm a snow boarder and I know that doesn't work as easily as it sounds. You do have to balance pressures on the skis and keep adjusting throughout the whole turn. It's a feeling for what's going on under your feet that develops the more you practice . . . though the further apart my skis get in the soft stuff . . . the more snow I eat Sad
snow report
Thank you!! Yes first post- and maybe I was over simplistic but I'm talking deep, heavy snow. Does that make any more sense?! Puzzled
ski holidays
Humpfknick wrote:
Does that make any more sense?! Puzzled
I'm afraid not! If skis are completely flat it is much more difficult to get them to change direction or follow a curve. You have to physically twist them, which in deep snow is difficult or impossible. If your skis are tipped sideways and you are balanced on them they will bend and follow a curved path as you flow from turn to turn. You can add or reduce the pressure on them with a bouncing action (more of an old school approach), or you can work with the natural forces that ebb and flow as you go from turn to turn (more of a new school approach, easier with wider/more floaty skis). But neither of those approaches work if the skis are flat.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 19-11-13 23:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Humpfknick, in that case you'll find me on a board Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ok well scratch that piece of the sentence then, but it makes my 'like a board' analogy redundant lol! I guess I mean 'like a snowboard' in the sense that you work a board fluidly into turns too, and the visualisation helps keep the skis together. Rob@rar you obv don't need those simple analogies..! wink
latest report
Humpfknick, keeping a narrower stance can definitely help, especially on relatively narrow skis. But I think the "keep your skis flat" advice was a little confusing, and I'm sure not what you meant. If you have space it's nice to tip the skis sideways as much as you can. Makes for big smiles.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing in deeper snow, how?

OK, I've held off long enough. You laugh uncontrollably and fall over a lot. Most importantly, whatever else you do, DO NOT get that picture in your mind of clarky999 in the bath snowHead
snow conditions
Yes but you can see his skis lol wink Anyway, as I said- scratch that part. It was just my tuppenceworth wink
ski holidays
Humpfknick wrote:
Yes but you can see his skis lol wink
Same principle here, just invisible wink

latest report
Could be a monoski under there lol wink
snow conditions
But yes that's a better pic- nice schnee!! wink Now I'd imagine the skis under there are close together and working like a board. Albeit a tilted one lol wink
ski holidays
Humpfknick wrote:
Now I'd imagine the skis under there are close together and working like a board. Albeit a tilted one lol wink
Hip width, maybe a little narrower and definitely tilted. It was really nice snow that day so I can't recall working to keep my stance especially narrow. IIRC I was on skis which are 88mm underfoot.
ski holidays
I have narrow hips. I guess mine are always close together wink
snow report
Humpfknick, Laughing
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
. . . it's called an 'ollie' The snowboard equivalent of skating.

You could use Ollie" for a NoBoard or an Asmo in some circumstances, although not these. Confused
snow conditions
don't forget you need to maintain rhythmic turns so start with a song in your heart - I personally have always liked to use 'one bourbon, one scotch and one beer' by george thorogood.

after spending many years and 10,000's of $$ chasing deep snow around eur and usa I realized one day that I could do it kinda OK, been great fun ever since.
ski holidays
Given the lack of the *POW* over these last few weeks horribly sunny weeks, perhaps we should change the title of this thread to

Skiing in deeper snow, when?
latest report
red 27 wrote:

Skiing in deeper snow, when?

This Thursday/Friday is looking promising wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy