Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in deeper snow, how?

Poster: A snowHead
Masque wrote:
sshI don't think any of the (2pl)'ankers here would be dumb enough to suggest that skis can get even close to the ease, serenity and orgasmic delight of surfing a powderfield on a snowboard.

I would Cool But then the combined width of my latest acquisitions is wider than pretty much any board on the market Laughing

Serenity/orgasmic delight anyway, when you have the skills and appropriate tools. 100%. Re the ease thing, yeah you're right; a 3 week boarder will usually be miles better in pow than a 3 week skier. Different learning curves.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, It's a perversity that the bad boarding habit of rear leg steering on piste works beauteously in powder . . . wrong is right and right is wrong . . . which is why boarders are better skiers, we understand the conundrum wink

Nowt to do with learning curves Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, if skiing was easy it would be called snowboarding... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, If you could ski you'd telemark . . . rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

"In 2011-12, Scotland generated 9.9% of UK revenues with 8.4% of the population, while only receiving 9.3% of UK public spending back from the UK government"

That means that our gross margin on running Scotland is only 0.6%. Pretty poor ROI.
Sell it I say and buy somewhere warm like Spain instead.
(edited for poor Maths)

Hey emwmarine :
How can England can be a "real" country without it's own parliament or national anthem ?
You clearly forgot that the UK is a union of 4 nations, not England-shire ruling the rest as they would like to think wink

p.s Just so we don't get too far off topic : snowboarding is a fat old mans sport of the early 1990s.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-11-13 23:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
under a new name, If you could ski you'd telemark . . . rolling eyes

What a load of poo-poo.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap, Which is why my favourite snowboard has tele bindings . . . Skiers rolling eyes couldn't find a mountain if they fell off a chairlift.

Elston, and if you could spell it'd still be ѕһіt Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm sure we can all bond over a mutual distrust of snow blades.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, +1 Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, Laughing

Ah, but monoskis then... The best of both?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-11-13 23:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, uh, i can.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, good lad, now buy a snowboard and find that second childhood before your incontinence becomes someone else's problem wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:
You clearly forgot that the UK is a union of 4 nations, not England-shire ruling the rest as they would like to think

With the number of Scots sat in our Parliament I thought it was the other way round!

Sooner you get independence so we can get on with giving our money to Romanians, the better wink

You've got a point about snowboarders, though Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Masque, uh, i can.

+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If we have all these telemarkers in snowHeads . . . why is it only Mr. Pink and I (Mr. Octarine) who rock the duckbill onna bash?
latest report
red 27,

Haven't you heard? There isn't any snow in Scotland. Something to do with all that fossil fuel they burn wink
ski holidays
musher, I gather there was stupendous snow last Sunday at Glencoe
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, no, the UK is a union of 3 nations and a principality...
snow report
Megamum wrote:
What I think I meant was would it make a difference that the skis are used closer together in conventional skiing does this make them less likely to sink that two thinner skis further apart? .

I know nothing about telemarking, but your stance width for powder is going to be similiar for on piste skiing.......what kind of width are you thinking your stance needs to be for off piste?
ski holidays
kitenski, childbirth?
snow report
Masque, nah just a curry last night......
ski holidays
Edit: Gone

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 14-11-13 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DB, dreadful
ski holidays
DB, did you step outside the boundaries of taste for a moment? Twisted Evil
latest report
Masque wrote:
DB, did you step outside the boundaries of taste for a moment? Twisted Evil

To be honest I'm not sure but thought it best to delete rather than upset people through my naive ignorance.
snow conditions
DB,
Quote:
naive & ignorant
does not define your soubriquet
latest report
DB, I thought it was funny
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
So did I.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

LOL! With you writing "dreadful" I thought there was a hidden sinister meaning that I hadn't seen. As it had children in it, I decided to pull it.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
musher, I gather there was stupendous snow last Sunday at Glencoe

Sorry. that's just not true. I checked it out on the SKGB web site and as you know they have the most accurate snow reports on the interweb wink
latest report
Ah yes, the enormously authoritative pro Scottish, Ski Cub of Great London. My Glasgow friend said he had wonderful snow at Glencoe last Sunday and is sending me photos (I'll post when they arrive)
snow report
snowball, Andrew was skiing with us and he snapped some really nice shots. The last couple of photos in the Scotland thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101916&start=40 were taken by him.
snow report
Ahh, what a thread! Scots v English, snowboarders v skiers, how to ski powder, masque trolling, sad to have missed it.
snow report
jimmer, Laughing
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
I'll be flying out for my 3rd ski trip ... Does anyone have some advice?

If you've only done three trips, then just practice and you'll get it once you've put your time in. Lessons may help although aren't at all essential, it depends how you learn.

Powder feels hard if you're used to piste, although one of my mates learned in powder, so the opposite's true for him. Things happen slower in powder. If you have good technique you just need to give things a little more time and rely on basic technique. If you have (say) a tendency to sideslip or snowplough on piste that probably won't help much in powder.

"resort powder" (powder which has fallen on top of a skier-pisted base) is a good place to start for piste skiers.

In the last couple of seasons I've seen many terrible skiers having fun in over-the-head powder using reverse-cambered powder skis. They can't handle difficult terrain and they fall over a lot, but only a few years ago this type of snow wasn't accessible to people with their skill levels. I'm not sure I'd want to do what they do - it seems to me as pointless as snowploughing a black run - but some people like it. You could try that route if you want to get out there quicker.

---
Masque wrote:
... It's a perversity that the bad boarding habit of rear leg steering on piste works beauteously in powder . . . Twisted Evil

I appreciate you're joking, but no it doesn't. It looks like poo-poo and it works the same. I've never seen anyone ride a single run like that without stopping, you can't handle challenging terrain or flats, and you're done after one run. I could get down quicker and with more elegance by taking my board off and sitting on it. Those people should learn to ride or take up skiing.
snow conditions
philwig, you've never 'surf' turned a powder run? Do it right and you sure as s* don't get get tired. Of course it's useless on flats and harder surfaces and it's certainly a tool to be used as part of very 'challenging' terrain. Perhaps more correctly it should be termed 'Trailing Leg Turn Initiation'.

And thinking about it, it is part of using the board tension to maintain speed along flats. . . that can be tiring but it works to get you over a wee hump or a bit further along the flat before unclipping . . . it's called an 'ollie' The snowboard equivalent of skating.
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
I'll be flying out for my 3rd ski trip this February and as title suggest would like a little advice on how to ski in deeper snow. Now I'm not talking waist deep powder, more between ankle and knee deep snow found at the side of piste. I'm a pretty confident skier on piste and don't get deterred by much, but as soon as I venture into deeper stuff I find myself out of control. The only way I can describe it is that I feel like my skis are attached to an imaginary railway line and I have to fight extremely hard in order to change direction in the slightest..... I've tried leaning back a little and keeping my feet closer together but even that doesn't seem to help a great deal.... Does anyone have some advice?

First, in moving from piste to off-piste learn to ski with your skis together, so you can treat them almost as a single ski. This is often quite hard and counter-intuitive at first for piste trained skiers. Try skiing on piste with your ankles and knees touching, as if holding a £20 not between them. You are likely to fall over quite a lot at first from crossing your skis but with perseverance it will start to work. If not get your boot fitting and particular foot beds checked out to make sure all your bones are line up efficiently for skiing.

You will now find that you have to actually rely on sticking your arms out in that classic "reading the daily telegraph without your reading glasses" pose, and using your poles to maintain your balance, rather than just doing it because your instructor told you to. This is good!

Next, now you are skiing skis together find a nice open slop of deep powder, steep enough to straight-line at a good speed but not too steep as to get out of control or feel it is essential to turn, ideally with a less steep run out. Ski down and get the feel of using your together knees to push down into the snow in a gentle pogo type rhythm, at the same time keeping your upper body straight, and balance so you can feel the pressure of your pogo movements through the balls, rather than heels of your feet. you should be using your sticky out arms and light pole touches if necessary just to keep balanced and straight lining.

Next, as above but this time every time you to a pogo push, alternate it SLIGHTLY out to each side, meanwhile your bum is on a bar stool, using a gentle pole plant on the opposite side to stop falling off your bar stool, whilst keeping looking straight ahead and body upright trying to catch the barman's eye.

At this point you may feel this is a waste of time and you'll never get the hang of this powder stuff. But look over your shoulder and you will be overjoyed to see your first wiggly line powder track, and surprised to discover that powder skiing is not about forced aggressive movements that you had been trying previously but gentle rhythm.

From then on its just improving above and tuning into the feel of the skis in the snow, anticipation to maintain that balanced position etc when the terrain knocks you off it etc

Caveat: I've no ski instruction credentials or ability but the above is what I found when I got into powder skiing relatively recently. I'm sure others will be along soon to correct what I've posted,

And yes fat skis make it all a lot easier and more fun, so long as you learn to use them both together, rather than cheat by using the extra surface area to get away with skiing on one ski, as you would on piste.

Enjoy
snow conditions
On the rocks, ankles and knees together??

Difficult on anything v. Modern and a somewhat 1970s feel to it...
snow conditions
On the rocks wrote:

And yes fat skis make it all a lot easier and more fun, so long as you learn to use them both together, rather than cheat by using the extra surface area to get away with skiing on one ski, as you would on piste.

Enjoy

Eh? The whole point of fat skis is to allow you to make big, fast, high angle turns in deep snow. If you're just going to bum wriggle your way down, you'll be deeper, get more faceshots and have more fun on skinny skis!
latest report
under a new name, Yes indeed, I don't ski quite like that but I found it very helpful as an exaggerated drill to get over the on-piste outside ski dominance habit
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy