Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

brian
brian
Ok, so last week I was hoping for an atlantic block and some snow off the North sea for North East Scotland.

We got it Very Happy but it could've been better Sad . The high pressure has now moved over the UK rather than to the West of it. So it's now bone dry but clear and cold.

Looking ahead, in the reliable time frame - blocking high pressure stays anchored over the UK.

So for:

Scotland - no sign of snow, but the thin cover there is will probably hang around and the ground should freeze hard.

France/Western Switzerland - mostly dry and very cold, no sign of any significant snow in the next week or so.

Austria and possibly Eastern Switzerland - again cold, reasonable chance of some meaningful snow Mon/Tues or thereabouts.

Further ahead, ie. with little confidence - don't want to build hopes up but it does look quite hopeful that the atlantic block will stay and move back westwards (in met speak, a retrogression). If that happens, cold and snowy air may hit first Scotland and a day or so later the Alpine region. You southern english types may even see some sleet ! However, the block could end up too far east again or worse, could be swept away, so plenty to go wrong but ...

Watch this space this time next week for hopefully exciting news snowHead

btw, obviously this adds to the encouragement for the met office's -ve NAO winter.
snow report
 brian
brian
Confident enough to change the title snowHead

Schnee on the way !! Cool

Austria getting more today/tomorrow ...

Thursday for Scotland as well ...

Friday for everyone snowHead

Beyond the weekend the outlook is cold zonality, hopefully more snow snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
EARLY WARNING of Heavy Snow and Blizzards Issued by the Met Office at 10:46 on Monday, 21 November

OVERALL RISK ASSESSMENT: The probability of disruption due to severe weather conditions in part of the United Kingdom within the next 132 hours is 70 percent.
This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow and Blizzards.
The Met Office is forecasting a period of cold and very strong northerly winds across the country on Thursday and Friday, and perhaps also through Saturday, with all areas at risk of seeing some snow.
Highest risk areas are northern and eastern Scotland (where winds may reach severe gale force), and also eastern counties of England. Showers will fall as snow or hail widely over higher ground and at lower levels at times. Local blizzard conditions are expected over higher ground in the north and east.
This warning will be updated by 1000 on Tuesday 22 November 2005.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, my squirrel with the big nuts also predicted this last week !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking better for France, according to this site, which is in French - but every picture...

Seven day forecast: http://www.lameteo.org/meteo-7a.html (mouseover maps to see temps)

http://www.lameteo.org/meteo-77.html - longer range (a lot warmer though Confused)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, Thanks for that - it looks positively promising! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most of the Austrian resorts are forecasting snow and temperatures below zero for the rest of this week (BRD Panorama Bild this morning). Looks like plenty of snow down at resort level in Obertauern snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
It's coming .....

midnight Thurs->Fri snowHead

Last edited by brian on Wed 23-11-05 8:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow-forecast.com seems to be predicting the heaviest falls of all for the Pyrenees, over the next 6 days. Up to 1.5m of snow:

www.snow-forecast.com
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hmm, snow-forecast seem to have drastically reduced the amount forecast now, max <= 50cm over some parts of Austria now on the 6 day outlook
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow forecast for France is being reduced by just about all sources now..............

Tignes.net have

THURSDAY:SUNNY DESPITE
A FEW CLOUDS
FRIDAY:CLOUDY AND WINDY
WITH SOME LTTLE SNOW
FALLS
FROM SATURDAY TO TUESDAY
CLOUDY AND WINDY WITH
SOME SNOW FALLS

snowforecast have about 8 inches max for Friday and then clear cold weather.

Chamonix :
frequent snow showers in the morning - becoming scattered - expected snowfall towards 1800 m : 20 cm.
latest report
 brian
brian
Still looking ok for France/Eastern Switzerland to get their first decent dump of the season. Should start snowing overnight, 6 inches to a foot on the cards.

Austria continues to get snow, looks like some more tomorrow and another fall towards the end of the weekend.

The Alps look like staying very cold for at least the next week.

Scotland, it's started snowHead fingers crossed for skiing to start imminently !
snow report
 brian
brian
Snowy weekend coming up for the Alps !

Saturday through to Tuesday should see some hefty dumpage in France, Switzerland, Italy and at least Western Austria. It will be milder than of late, freezing level somewhere around 1500 m or so. For the second half of next week, colder but less snowy conditions will return.

Scotland will see a mild period tomorrow but hopefully not much rain, Friday will be still be mild-ish and may see some heavier rain. Hopefully a consolidation of the base and not too much snow loss Confused Colder weather should return through the weekend and into next week. snowHead

From about the 8th-9th of December on, anything could happen. GFS model runs showing a temperature spread of about 15 degrees !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is plenty snow here now. Most of the local ski lifts opened last weekend 26/11. The condition of the slopes in Schladming and Präbichl were good this weekend more snow falling and to come.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ThanksDicko, . A very warm welcome to snowheads. We really appreciate info direct from people local to where we all want to be! snowHead
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The snow has been coming, but seems patchy. I am watching Val D'Isere where my son has just started working for Ski Scott Dunn for the season. Reports today give 35 cms at the top and 30 at the bottom. Still pretty grim - but then he is supposed to be working, not snowboarding and he doesn't get his free pass until the first guests arrive. The first guests will be very disgruntled if they arrive to 35cms of snow, despite the delicious food he will be making them. But in our own resort of Les Saisies (to be lift linked this season into the 175kms of the Espace Diamant - just thought I'd get a plug in) the webcams show the resort inundated with snow and the levels are 120 top and 100 at resort level. Resort not open yet, and not scheduled to open fully for a couple of weeks, but probably will be open at least partially for next weekend. I have to wait till 2 January, by which time I hope there will, as usual, not be a lift queue in sight. There, at any rate, the early snow is far better than last year - though at Christmas 2004 there were more runs open in Les Saisies than in the Courchevel valley.... It is so localised that general snow maps aren't much help. One side of a hill gets a dump, the other gets a few centimetres. Altitude is not an infallible guide either, especially early in the season. "Go high" is the Christmas advice very often, but from what I have seen "Go east" would often be better advice, given the early snow record of many of the Austrian resorts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice to be here and glad I've found this forum. I'll be glad to help or provide any info if needed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, yep, the snow looks to be really great in Les Saisies - roll on 13th Jan. Been watching the cams for the last few days, the viewing table at the top of Mt Bisanne has been covered totally in the last 3 days of snow!!!

Saisies has an amazing little microclimate given its relative medium altitude...

I only came on here to post a thread asking for someone to verify the snow in the Beaufortain/Arly areas as it looked like it had been dumping nicely over the weekend Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Looking like a bit more snow in the French alps on Friday, then pressure will build over the weekend giving more settled conditions. Milder upper air will push in Sunday to Tuesday but I think there will be temperature inversion so it might still be cold at valley level.

The high pressure again appears likely to retrogress westwards into the Atlantic pulling colder air back over the Alps with further snowfall likely from about next Thursday.

Reasonable model agreement for cold conditions to persist through until Xmas with further likely dumpage snowHead

For Scotland, if Caringorm and the Lecht can hold on to their base through this weekend they will most likely get some further snow next week snowHead
ski holidays
brian, It was still snowing when I left La Rosiere yesterday pm, had been snowing virtually continuously since Friday pm. It did seem very localised, on the few occassions when it was clear you could see that Val d' and Tignes were sunny. Raining every time I went through Bourg St Maurice, plus ca change!
ski holidays
i'm sure that in recent years both Val'd and tignes have had less and less snowfall and the Haute Savoie/northern edge of the Savoie have had more is this true or is it all in my mind Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy