Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

URGENT HELP PLEASE - Mayrhofen resort

Poster: A snowHead
Please tell me how Mayrhofen compares with Soll.

This is for a 1st timer and an 'intermediate'.

We have been moved resorts by TA to Mayrhofen.

Urgent help would be appreciated.... info about the runs and resort itself.

Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
theone, Lucky you, much better resort to Soll, more skiing options better quality skiing, and a wider range of choice. No bus to hills compared to Soll's 1Km bus ride to lifts, Lively village, plenty of Apres options split across 2 bars. Snow sure glacier up the road.

Drawbacks, 2/3% more expensive than Soll for food drink etc, but not really significant. One Gondola out of the village which has large Q's in the am and PM on the way down, but this can be avoided by either getting up early or slightly later, if you are with a sk school they have an express lane. Also if you jump a bus up to Finkenberg it can be avoided all together.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fattes13 wrote:
Drawbacks, 2/3% more expensive than Soll for food drink etc,
What? Laughing

As for how convenient, it really depends what accommodation the TO is using in Mayrhofen. Some are a bit of a shlep to the lift. Overall I'd probably prefer to be a complete beginner in Mayrhofen. Intermedaite - either/or.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks....... so food/drink is more expensive?

We chose Soll for charming village, good ski area, plenty of restaurants / cafes on the slopes and fairly good nightlife. We are not going to be out partying all night, but would like somewhere fairly lively for a few après ski drinks.... especially over new year

The hotel we have been put in is in the centre apparently 500m from the main lift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theone, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
I'd agree with the previous posters that Mayrhofen is at least as good as, if not better, than Soll. As regards slopes, apart from the main skiing on the Penken where as has been said there can be queues for the gondola at certain times of day there are also some easy blue runs (and one difficult red down to town) on the Ahorn mountain which is served by a modern cable car at one end of town. If you're having lessons then you'll obviously be just skiing the Mayrhofen slopes, but if you do have a day or two free from ski school it's well worthwhile checking out the other skiing in the valley at Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach (free transport to these on the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway that runs along the valley is included in your Zillertal liftpass).
Edit: Just seen your query about apres-ski - there's plenty of places in Mayrhofen for that - right next to the Penkenbahn gondola station when you come back down off the slopes there''s the Ice Bar, see video:

http://youtube.com/v/_c4MohD4Mhk

For somewhere smaller and a bit quieter directly facing the Penkenbahn is the bar café Happy End owned by ex-racer Uli Spiess. Another well known venue popular with Brits is the Scotland Yard pub.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-11-13 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Food/drink is not too expensive. Should fit your requirements, plenty of restaurants/cafes and great nightlife.

Do you know the name of the hotel?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you...

Hotel is Zillertalerhof
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not been to Soll and my username probably gives away a bias but .... Mayrhofen is great! Top of the Ahorn is good for beginners and a few blues to spread wings on the penken too. Also great for intermediate - lots of choice and nice runs (tho obviously conditions vary). It's the place where I learnt to enjoy skiing - rather than thinking of it as being the price to pay for drinking loads and eating cheese fondue!

There's quite a bit of nightlife too, depending on what you are after. And New Year will definitely be lively: if anything like the New Year we were there previously everyone piles into the street and lets off fireworks, drinks and dances.

We will be there for this New Year and have an apartment overlooking the main street so we can enjoy the madness in a civilised way! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
theone, Yep about half a km to the Penken lift but your beginner friend is more likely to be using the Ahorn which is quite a bit further on (in ski boots). There is a bus. Worth checking what ski school and where they hold lessons. Presumably you'd prefer not to be skiing on different mountains. Better skiing for an 'intermediate' is definitely on the Penken side. But most likely place for a first-timer is up on the Ahorn.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zillertaler Hof is one of the best hotels with a swim in/out pool. Are you travelling with Inghams, if so they take the bigger rooms in the hotel so should be great. Food in restaurant is excellent. You will want to use the ski bus, stop is just outside hotel. Seems like an upgrade to me, way prefer the Hoff to Soll.

Maybe bump into you if you are there for New Year. Sadly I couldn't afford the Zillertalerhof this year so am in the Landenhof.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 11-11-13 14:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
theone, I don't know the Zillertalerhof, but looking at their website it looks good and it seems to have a nice pool and spa facility!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's a really nice hotel. Quiet park of town but easy walk to a few good bars etc. You can get the ski bus from outside the hotel to the penken lift or just bang your skis in the depot and walk. Easy to get the station too and from there you can get the train down the valley to the other resorts.

If you need any help on ski school/hire choices then let me know
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only been to Mayrhofen in summer time and definately didn't find the drinks or food expensive. In fact the drink prices in some bars/pubs were quite reasonable (less than 3 euros for half litre beer). We also stayed in the Zillertallerhof hotel which I thought was a very good hotel. Food is good, room was nice as well. Also you have a nice indoor/outdor pool. As for location, well I certainly wouldn't walk to the gondola's in my ski boots from the hotel. Instead I would turn right out of the hotel and head down the hill to the main street and get the bus from the nearest ski bus stop there. If you want to head up the valley for more skiing to (Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach ) then just a bit further from the main street is the train station. As for Apres, one of the main bars (Scotland yard) is not too far from the hotel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
theone, I hope you're impressed with the speed of response to your query here on snowHeads Laughing , and I hope we've managed to set your mind at rest! Go for it! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all... yes, they have suggested they have put us in a like for like hotel with what we had booked.

We were planning on putting the skis / boots in a locker at the bottom of the main Soll lift. Do they have similar options in Mayrhofen?

Understand it depends on the season but is it a snow sure resort?

Sorry about all of the qs, but this has been sprung on us less than 7 weeks before we go so don't know much about the resort!
snow report
Yes... thank you for the quick responses everyone. I appreciate it!
snow conditions
Apologies, I didn't know there was a ski bus stop outside the hotel. It certainly wasn't used by the town busses in summer time. Seems like there is an expanded bus service in winter.
ski holidays
theone, click on the number 1 or 2 webcam here: https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/info-and-service/webcam/

Yes, snowsure.
ski holidays
There are a number of depot options. If you are hiring skis then there is some good kit at the Sport 2000 opposite the penkenbahn. If you hire from them, then you can depot for free. Im sure this is the same for some of the other places. There is also options at the top of the penkenbahn, however that holds you back a bit if you want to explore further a field.

Snow wise it will be fine, there is so much kit for making snow that we will be able to ski on the Penken from the start of Dec. http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101115/panorama-cameras.html?session=4ckdrh998chu8j5e17rjeu94v4

I's sure you will have a great time
latest report
theone wrote:
Understand it depends on the season but is it a snow sure resort?

Well the elevation of Soll is 703m above sea level and Mayrhofen is 633m, so pretty comparable elevations, but if you should prove unlucky with the snow conditions in Austria that week (unlikely) then apart from the artificial snow cannon which of course both resorts will have then in addition at Mayrhofen you have the insurance of guaranteed skiing on the Hintertux glacier higher up the valley.
snow report
theone, Much more snow sure than Soll and a better snow record, Luigi ski rental is really good as is ski centre Hubert Kroll, There are lokcers at both the top and the bottom of the main Penakna gondola. Your hotel is the opposite end of town to the lifts so might not be a bad idea to get the lockers.

In case of bad snow conditions the Hintertux glacier is 30 min up the road and covered on your lift pass.

It is a much better option that Soll all round you can be certain of that.

Bode Swiller, Soll is probably the cheapest of the main resorts i have been to in Austria, anywhere else I have been is slightly more expensive including Mayrhofen. That is not to say I think it is expensive by any stretch it is just slightly more expensive than Sol
snow report
On the last day of our summer/autumn trip which was very early in October 2011 it snowed up on the mountain and left about 8 inches of snow. I definately wouldn't worry about snow for new year!!
snow report
Ohh (sorry me again!) The Zillertalerhoff is lovely. There is an indoor/outdoor combined swimming pool and you swim through sliding doors - it feels very James Bond! Bit cold but you should try it at least once! The massage lady there is also EXCELLENT! My only complaint is that there isn't really a proper spa - just some luke warm bubbles on one side of the pool, but apart from that it's great and a very relaxing place.

We hire our ski's from SKI 3000 just across the road from the Penken lift and they have a ski lockers there (With boot warmers!). There are definitely ski lockers at the top of the Penken lift (and possibly at the bottom as well, can't remember). If you are using a ski locker then the penken lift is about 10 mins walk away from your hotel.

Not sure about snow sure but they have snow cannons on the pistes - we have been in early December and there was plenty of snow to ski in. There is usually loads in January plus of course there is the Hintertux Glacier if all else fails.

But currently loads of snow on the mountain - have a look here http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101115/view/300/panorama-camera-penken.html
snow conditions
not stayed there for years, but i recall the inghams rep saying there were lockers round the side or back of the Penken gondala. I imagine they're still there (it's been extended since I was there), and I imagine the (new) Ahorn bahn is similar?
Ski bus that loops round town must go right past the hotel? I used to stay in Neuhaus, so same distance from lifts, and used to just get the bus and store kit in the hotel boot room.
ski holidays
Ski bus is literally right outside the hotel http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101117/skibus.html
ski holidays
Thank you all.....

So for the skiing, is Myrhofen a good option for improving beginners.... the piste map suggests it has more blue runs than Soll... not taking into account the entire skiwelt area which I know we would have had to do a red or 2 to get to.

And I would like longish cruisy runs (make sense)..... does Mayrhofen have them?

Is the village nice?

Seems everyone prefers Mayrhofen to Soll so providing it is good for the other half to ski then I can't see it being a bad thing?
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
Bode Swiller, Soll is probably the cheapest of the main resorts i have been to in Austria, anywhere else I have been is slightly more expensive including Mayrhofen.

Just amused that you managed to perceive a difference of 2/3%.
ski holidays
theone wrote:
Thank you all.....
Is the village nice?

Parts of it are quite pretty, here's a view of the church: http://tinyurl.com/mmu9r6g

I guess you'll be skiing all day, but if you do fancy a few hours break one day the local Zillertal Sennerei dairy does tours where you can watch at your own pace how they make the local mountain cheeses (and try some!) Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
theone wrote:
Seems everyone prefers Mayrhofen to Soll...
No, personally I would definitely prefer Soll because (a) you can ski to the valley floor (b) there's awesome night skiing there (c) it's 1.3% cheaper snowHead

Mayrhofen is a better town for sure - it's a lot bigger and there's more variety of night life and, as mentioned before, I reckon the terrain is slightly better suited to a first-timer but, in either case, if weather and conditions are right you'll have a great time.
snow conditions
theone, I personally think some of the nicest skiing is at the top of the 150 tux. Towards the end of the week I would also spend a day skiing across to Eggalm.

Bode Swiller, You can ski to the valley floor and come out at the Horbergbahn. Not open that much though as obviously need enough snow in the valley.
snow conditions
Quote:

Just amused that you managed to perceive a difference of 2/3%.

Adding up all the saving, Food, lift pass, accommodation, and beer. Would have thought anything more would be a bit excesive.

Quote:

(a) you can ski to the valley floor

And then its the small matter of a 1km bus ride back to the town!!! Twisted Evil

Quote:

And I would like longish cruisy runs (make sense)..... does Mayrhofen have them?

Rastkogel, over the top of the 150er Tux has tons of them!
latest report
Quote:

Rastkogel, over the top of the 150er Tux has tons of them!

Suitable for an improving beginner??
snow report
Yeah, there is some nice stuff over there. When I have friends come over who are improving, I often take them over there. You can ski back down from there, however it may be better to get the 150 tux back down as the red run back can get a bit challenging
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:

Quote:

(a) you can ski to the valley floor

And then its the small matter of a 1km bus ride back to the town!!! Twisted Evil

Nope, just jump in my car NehNeh

However, neither Mayrhofen or Soll are ideal from a convenience point of view are they?
snow conditions
I disliked Mayrhofen when I was there due to the noise at night and rowdy behaviour, the police were patrolling with dogs at times to clear people home. Also found the main lift in town had massive queues and the bus to the glacier was a pain, despite that I took the bus every day to the glacier as the other runs had poor snow. Not a fan of the lower resorts like Mayrhoffen.
Quite liked Soll though, I suppose a lot depends on the snow when your there.
snow report
nevis1003, You know Mayrhofen on average is 400-600 meters higher than soll Most of Mayrhofen top runs are 2200 + were Soll tops out at 1,800! And has a much better average snowfall.

Quote:

Nope, just jump in my car

Might stretch the average punters luggage allowance packing a car! Mayrhofen is fun off peak as the Gondola q's are never that bad.
ski holidays
Only rowdy bit might be near the Ice bar. That's all I noticed anyway. Plus I expect the whole town will be much like Netherlands and Germany on New Years Eve (assume fireworks rules there are much the same), and will be one massive party.

Might have had to queue 20 minutes for a gondola once, but it depends when you go (always been Feb-March for me). Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach have always been much better. Think I had to wait for the second gondola to come round once, to get a gondola to myself rather than barging in on another group's. Certainly worth a trip down that way to exlpore, if the ski lessons permit.

And as Mayrhofen was where I went for my 2nd and 3rd weeks, they're perfectly fine for an improving beginner (and indeed the beginners will learn on runs classified as red if on the Penken side).
snow report
Thank you all.....

What times are the lifts open from and to?

Are we far out of the main centre if in the Zillertalerhof?
snow conditions
Few minutes' walk in the evening for drinks, or just a little bit too far to clomp in ski boots.

Don't recall the lift times for any of the Zillertal resorts.
edit: 08:00 or 08:30 until 17:00

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 11-11-13 17:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hoping to use one of the lockers at the stations for skis/boots.... possibly best at the main station as only short ish walk to Ahorn if going up that side.

So will be walking around is normal snow boots.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy