Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Tignes on the 27/12/13 staying in self catering accommodation .Any tips or suggestion for good value restaurants and any thing else that will make our stay enjoyable . Thank You
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For a cheap good value lunch go to the spar in Le Lac. Plenty of baguette options, soup, quiches, toasties etc. personal favourite is the americano - baguette filled with burger meat with chips on the side!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laura1182 wrote:
For a cheap good value lunch go to the spar in Le Lac. Plenty of baguette options, soup, quiches, toasties etc. personal favourite is the americano - baguette filled with burger meat with chips on the side!

+1 for the lunch at Spar in Le Lac. Half of a roasted free range chicken with chips 8-9 EUR, regular chicken 6 EUR ... can't beat that. For dinners - Le Ferme des trois Cappucines - my fav restorant all over the alps ... FR, AT and CH side, have not been skiing to IT yet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for the Spar in Le Lac. Amazing value and free wifi outside of 12 - 2 as well. The Americano is plenty for two unless you skipped breakfast or have an enormous appetite.

They also do a 'dish of the day', dished up from a pan that is about 3 foot in diameter, that would be great to take back for an evening meal. Ignore the sign on the outside of the Spar that tell you what dish is what day - when we enquired we were told that was several years out of date!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are coming by car stop in Bourg (or before) the supermarkets in the village are v expensive (except the café in the Spar - which is good value). As for restaurants a lot of the value ones change hands each season so its a bit early to make a rec. The Loop in Le Lac is also good for lunch as is the Aspen is Val Claret. Best coffee is by Rocco (an Italian) at the Jam Bar in Le lac - his arrabiata is also quite something if you are cold and can get in (it only has seating for 12.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the Marmottes Pub is anything like it was last year, go in for the biggest burgers on the face of the eath. Not particularly cheap, but good value due to sheer quantity.

We've also had decent value and nice food in the restaurant a couple of doors up from there, they have their own proper pizza oven and it is generally a nice place to eat.

If you have a search on here you will find quite a lot of threads on the subject.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to everyone who so far had replied. The information I am receiving great thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Happy hour , key to drink costs and reducing them. Eating up the mountain often expensive and average.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IIRC The cheapest places to eat "on the hill" are Marmottes which is between Tignes and Val d'Isere. (near the snow park). The other being Cascades which is way over above Le Fornet. (possibly owned by the same family) Food is reasonable and you could get a hot chocolate for 2 euros. +1 for the Spar. Try to get in before morning ski school finishes. I think I read somewhere that another supermarket was to open just off the square as you head towards the Loop bar. Le Escale Blanche, again just off the main square in 'Le Lac is ok. Huge pizzas, half roast chicken and salads seem good value. Portions were big enough for two when we were there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mandy Bea, ps, you haven't mentioned where in Tignes you are staying. Not really an issue unless you're staying down in Le Breviere. Free buses run day & night looping around the three main villages of Le Lac, Lavachet and Val Claret.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GeorgeVII, I'm staying in val claret
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GeorgeVII, I'm staying in val claret
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You'll be fine. Plenty going on in the centre of Val Claret. If you're there over New Year you'll get the Fire & Ice party. Not sure if it's in V.C. or Le Lac this year. Huge outdoor party and mega fireworks display.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
If the Marmottes Pub is anything like it was last year, go in for the biggest burgers on the face of the earth. Not particularly cheap, but good value due to sheer quantity
After 3 consecutive pink-in-the-middle burgers Confused (despite asking for them to be cooked through) I've now given up on burgers in France....Did I read somewhere that pink burgers are illegal (as they're considered a health hazard) somewhere in North America these days?

Anyway, as you're in Val Claret Mandy Bea, we've road tested loads of restaurants and had decent food at all of the following:
- For good value (for Tignes) 3 course set-menu at around €17/18 - Le Petit Savoyarde and also L'Armoise. Similar 3 course deals but more expensive at Le Grattalu.
- For good non-typical resort fare (eg fajitas, Thai curry) - Canyon.
- For posh, modern surroundings and not too bad prices - Chalet Bouvier.
- For pizza - La Pignatta and Pepe 2000.
- For fondue/tartiflette etc - Auberge des 3 Oursons or Le Grattalu.
- For unusual surroundings and the usual mountain fare - Le Caveau (it's downstairs in a rustic 'cave').
- For cooking your own meat on a hotplate (accompanied by loads of chips) - Le Brasero.

Our favourite place is a (free 24 hour) bus ride away at Le Lavachet - but worth the (max 10 minute?) trip for excellent food in lovely, rustic farm surroundings (again, we had a fixed menu 3 course special that was good value):
- La Ferme des 3 Capucines.

On a negative note, we ate at Daffy's Tex Mex once and wouldn't go back - terrible enchiladas. And although Grizzly's Bar is amazing (very rustic, with bear carvings everywhere) I wouldn't rush back after being charged €24 about 3 years ago (at £1 = €1) for three 33cl bottles of beer (the draft was off...). I'm still undergoing counselling... wink

Here's the Tignes website restaurants guide:

http://www.tignes.net/en/nightlife-in-tignes/restaurants-112.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see a lot of recommends for cheap food pointing to Marmottes and Cascade, no quibble with that, but be warned, the coffee is frankly p*ss. And I'm not a coffee snob...

Seconded re Grizzly Bar - great novelty place but soooooo pricey.

V
latest report
Have plat de jour for lunch, pretty much anywhere u go. Even the previously much maligned place at the glacier had, just a few days back, a truly superb meat stew (with some kind of chinese star anise thing going on) with as much carbo and cabbage as you cld handle for e13.
snow report
Surprised, no ones mentioned the Aspen, great burgers cooked to order
!
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire,
Quote:
Surprised, no ones mentioned the Aspen, great burgers cooked to order!

chocksaway did but please don't make a point of it or I'll never get a table wink
latest report
Raceplate, Missed that one. If only you hadn't quoted, I could have deleted and nobody would know. wink
snow report
Quote:
After 3 consecutive pink-in-the-middle burgers (despite asking for them to be cooked through) I've now given up on burgers in France....

Ah, Brits abroad, eh? If it's not Bien Cuit it's not edible.... rolling eyes

I love going to France because IMO they're the only people who know how to cook red meat without destroying it Very Happy
snow report
anarchicsaltire, you know it's good when it's full of instructors and seasonnaires. It's been a while but their breakfast is great, too.
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:
Quote:
After 3 consecutive pink-in-the-middle burgers (despite asking for them to be cooked through) I've now given up on burgers in France....

Ah, Brits abroad, eh? If it's not Bien Cuit it's not edible.... rolling eyes

I love going to France because IMO they're the only people who know how to cook red meat without destroying it Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing I understand one or two burgers during the week when far from home, but why to miss on a briliant local/regional food while in France ... do not get it. I understand breakfast and lunch should be not expensive and filling for the day to give the energy. For diners go to place that serve local food by local people to local people. and it is not only raclette or tartiflette that are available ... hearty soups, warm goat cheese salads and briliant meets - mhhmmm
snow report
Quote:
Ah, Brits abroad, eh? If it's not Bien Cuit it's not edible....I love going to France because IMO they're the only people who know how to cook red meat without destroying it
Surely each to their own eh Raceplate? You eat as much raw meat as you like (in which case I wouldn't dream of taking the p1$$ or finding it amusing) - but bien cuit doesn't even begin to cover it for me. In the case of steak I'd need the French word for cremation - but only if I chanced ordering a steak in France, which I wouldn't do. Burgers are an entirely different story, however - with the under-cooked variety being recognised as a well known source of food poisoning. So while a pink burger is indeed edible in a literal sense (but then again so is deadly nightshade...), NHS Direct website for example advises (in respect of food safety) that:

Quote:
Food poisoning can be caused by not cooking food thoroughly (especially poultry, pork, burgers, sausages and kebabs)...

Quote:
Campylobacter is the most common food poisoning bug in Britain and is nicknamed the 'barbecue bug'.
Sources: Mostly undercooked burgers, poultry and shellfish.

Further research reveals that rare burgers are indeed apparently banned in Canada.....
Quote:
Restrictions require that all ground meat be cooked to an internal temperature of 70 Degrees Celsius, which is the temperature that bacteria such as E. Coli are killed....The reason for this caution is that ground meat can contain bacteria such as salmonella and E. Coli, which can both cause serious food poisoning in humans. The difference between steaks and ground meat is that outside bacteria is killed during the cooking of a steak whereas with ground meat the bacteria could be mixed in and therefore could be unaffected by cooking if the meat is left rare.

Hmmm...Seems pretty conclusive to me....I'd rather be out skiing than chancing passing what's left of the raw burger from both ends Confused.
snow report
mountainaddict,

Brits abroad worrying about E.coli. Whatever next? rolling eyes

You seem like the type to get us a bad name wink
snow conditions
Le ferme gets a vote from me.

Check out there website, you can book via email.

The place is amazing and where else can you share your meals with donkeys, chickens, goats, sheep or cattle?
snow report
good coffee is where the jam bar used to be......near the post office as its now being run by an italian couple...... lunch you cant beat tignes cuisine nest to the loop bar
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Hmmm...Seems pretty conclusive to me....I'd rather be out skiing than chancing passing what's left of the raw burger from both ends Confused.

OK, you like beer, vine, whiskey? Do you want me to find reference about the econominic, medical and social harm of alcohol? My point is, you should not be eating under-cooked meet etc in 'suspicious' places, while for some establishements, that know and handle food well, this would not apply. The true taste of certain produce is discovere only under certain conditions. It is of course your judgement of how suspicious you are of FR chef understanding of what he/she is doing ... But I could also understand the frustration of a shef when he knows and handles food well, while customers are asking not to 'disclose' the real taste. If a shef would be suspicious about the quality of the meat he/she has, then of course it would be 'burned' or taken of the meniu. Btw, have you tried 'steak tartare' yet? I first tried it 10 years ago and in the right place it is very hard to resist it - while for some people raw meat and raw egg may sound outragious ...
ski holidays
Calling the cook in a day-to-day run-of-the-mill eatery in a French ski resort a "chef" is overstating things a bit, don't you think?

I don't like my meat cremated but must say the French concept of cooking meat is "unique". It is the only place I've been where I ask for my beef "very well done" in the hope of getting something approaching a more sensible "rest of the world" "medium"...

I once asked for medium-rare and the waiter just led a live cow to the table.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boardiac wrote:
Calling the cook in a day-to-day run-of-the-mill eatery in a French ski resort a "chef" is overstating things a bit, don't you think?

I don't like my meat cremated but must say the French concept of cooking meat is "unique". It is the only place I've been where I ask for my beef "very well done" in the hope of getting something approaching a more sensible "rest of the world" "medium"...

I once asked for medium-rare and the waiter just led a live cow to the table.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I like your sense of humor, but c'mon your sarcasm towards french cooks/chef is difficult to agree with. I like a good steak too, never had a problem (usualy 2 weeks a season and sometimes in summer) in FR mountain resorts/restaurants. To put things into perspective, I'm neither FR nor EN, and my parrents would never touch meat that is pink, so was raised in a 'very well done' environment. Now when I have my own kids, I have no problem ordering a steak in FR resto (that is what my teenage daughter is taking most of the time anyway) - I am still to return a steak that was not cooked to my liking/initial request.
ski holidays
I found Café Bagus good for a decent quality, filling, reasonably priced evening meal (reasonably priced by Tignes standards!). It's in Tignes Le Lac right in centre, near to Spar. Any other snowheads tried it last season?
latest report
Pizzas at L'Armailly in Tignes Le Brev, the place over the bridge with the big cooking pot outside. With a large green salad. These pizzas are up there, can't comment further re many other eating gaffs in Tignes, have usually gone chalet/ catered when there and avoid eating at expensive lunch stops in France. Seem to recall a decent place just below Aguille De Percie as you drop down towards Sache it's on the right.
snow conditions
intermediate wrote:
I found Café Bagus good for a decent quality, filling, reasonably priced evening meal (reasonably priced by Tignes standards!). It's in Tignes Le Lac right in centre, near to Spar. Any other snowheads tried it last season?

Yes I agree we ate at Cafe Bagus last February [four families - 17 of us mixed ages children aged 8 - mums & dads] & we had a fabulous meal, great atmosphere, quality what else do you want.

As for price I think it was ok, apart from the fact we ordered a b/day cake which cost over €100........ouch but it was very nice.

Another favourite bar is the Alpaka..........they serve great bar snacks & the bar is just great, free wi-fi as well.

Michael
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy