Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

setting up ski vices - am I doing something wrong?

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, why are you warming skis after waxing, they need to cool???

Did you scrape after their first application???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, process is clean, warm, wax, cool, scrape, brush. Curious about this post-wax warming you're doing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albinomountainbadger,

This must be Megamum's hot box Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
keeping the skis warm after waxing maximises the amount of wax absorbed by the bases
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh please, is she going to Sochi?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FWIW.. waxing my skis.

I stand my skis near vertically against a wall with a newspaper between the tips and carpet / floor. If it's a particularly nice apartment I'll put a towel between the top ski tips and the wall too. Actually I don't worry if I don't have newspaper, just don't go silly with the wax.

Put binding elastic thingy on.
Do edges. File downwards as as the floor is in the way and as such the skis don't move - eliminates need for vice
Ski still vertical wax with iron. Start at top work down wax flows down the ski - then onto newspaper. It's easy not to waste any wax this way.
Scrape any excess wax into newspaper (again, downwards). Must admit I often skipped this part - especially if I didn't have a newspaper.

A'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Two blocks of wood or bricks with blue tack on the top will hold a ski firmly Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well Spyderjon speaks about a hot box that he warms the waxed skis in, and I can't see the problem in leaving the wax on for a few days if I don't have time to scrape it straight away. So I reasoned that if I left them to one side I might as well leave them somewhere warm as put them somewhere cooler. Before I scraped last time I moved them away from the warmth and let them cool to room temp. They don't get too warm - I keep checking, but I think they are getting to the sort of temp. that the iron gets them to when you feel the warmth coming through the skis which I was told was a good thing to happen. From what I understand it's probably not doing any harm and who knows it might be helping. I just need to get them properly cool before I scrape them and if I do so I can't see that it's done any harm.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
After hot scrape cleaning the bases & brass brushing to open the structure of the skis/board a generous layer of the selected wax is ironed in & then the skis/board are placed in the hot box for 3-4 hours at 140-150F/60-65C, depending on the wax used. The bases are then left to fully cool before scraping & brushing in the usual manner ready for use.

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/50/72/

From Spyderjon's site, a little bit less temp than I was thinking when I first read about hot boxing.
Looks like the most important part is to leave them to fully cool before scraping.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Looks like the most important part is to leave them to fully cool before scraping.

Yup, from what I have learned, this allows the structure of the ski to contract thus locking in the absorbed wax and is therefore important as if you brushed and scraped them whilst still warm I imagine that you could drag out the wax so carefully impregnated.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, yes, I left them in a warm place for a couple of days then let them thoroughly cool, scraped and brushed them and then waxed again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albinomountainbadger, NehNeh Nope, but they are my own skis and I want them to last as long as possible, if letting them stay warm after waxing might do some good it's no skin off of my nose to do so esp. when they have to stand somewhere for a couple of days if I don't have time to complete the process in one hit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not disputing hot boxing (even though that's clearly *not* what is happening here), when I first read megamum's post I understood it to mean that she wasn't going to wait for her skis to cool before scraping, she was going to keep them at a warm temperature and then scrape all the wax clean off.

Was it only kitenski and me who actually read this?

Quote:
I have six skis sitting by the fire getting gently warm at the moment with their second coat of wax on them. Next job is the scraping them again when I get a next spare hour.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger, yeah, but I didn't mean staight away Laughing - Yes, I'm new to this, but I have done the training course (a few years back), and I have also printed out the instructions to remind me. I assumed that cololing them before scraping might be understood as a given, but I now see the well meant confusion. There were two sentences there with a full stop in, perhaps they should have been different paragraphs Toofy Grin . The wax is still on them and the fire has been switched overnight so they are quite cold now and would be fine to scrape if I found time today. If not they can stay where they are and go through another cycle or more and I doubt it would hurt them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, all cleared up then! It is very satisfying to do a nice job yourself. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Job all done Very Happy 6 nice shiny skis all put away safe for next February. I scraped and brushed and finished with a coat zardoz. The best and most satisfying tool is a lovely brass brush that came in the kit. It's not a bad job. I hope I've done them right, but I got all the right tools from Spyderjon and followed the instructions and did the course some time in the past so hopefully they will be fine. If anyone is thinking of giving it a go all I can say is it must be doable, if I can do it then anyone can Very Happy

I sorted out the vices for scraping by moving the skis around a bit and setting the vices as wide apart as I could. It worked OK to get the job done this time.
latest report
Megamum, Yup, there will always be a way to get them done. I need to scrape of my storage wax and prep mine too in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-11-13 20:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Apparently, the most important part of the process was missed. The beer consumed as you work on the skis! Shocked Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy