Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - Esprit chalet any feedback

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We're looking at either St Anton or Obergurgl with Esprit as the childcare package sews it up for us. St Anton is a bit more of a draw for the adults as the ski area is so extensive, however the chalets take a lot more folks. Looking for feedback on the Chalet Markus in St Anton - chalet looks good but just wondering about the "transport provided" to the nursery and snow club. Has anyone got any feedback on this?

Also the chalet info says that there is a Ski bus stop just opposite and the main Nasserein gondola approx. 5 minutes’ (500m) walk. Is this really a 5 min walk in ski boots or much longer. What's the ski bus like, as I tend to run a mile from using those due to the queueing and crush and general waste of time?

Thanks guys,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mmm, this is the one thing I can find that rings alarm bells, esprit and total tend to be very good at choosing their words carefully!

"We soon decided to leave our skis and boots in the garage of Pepe Garbl, the chalet used by Esprit next to the main lift"

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g608676-d4154203-Reviews-Chalet_Markus-St_Anton_am_Arlberg_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, interesting reading that review. I know where the Markus is located, and yes the free ski bus serving the Nasserein end stops just outside. Sounds to me like a childcare issue, I know they have a minibus in resort that they use for transporting the children between chalets/nursery/snow club. I often tend to take TA reviews with a pinch of salt as you are only getting one side to the story.

Distance wise, it is pretty much as they say, downhill towards the Nassereinbahn, and then uphill afterwards. IIRC no 66 along Nassereinerstrasse on this map: http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/images/stories/pdf-dateien/ortsplaene/op-stanton-stchristoph.pdf Used the free ski bus a few times, never noticed it to be too busy, at least not the Nasserein one, if there does appear to be a queue and you are there early enough, the bus basically goes up to the top of Nassereinerstrasse before turning around and coming back down, jump on on the way up when it's likely to be quieter!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sitter, we're staying at the Helvetia (15 blokes ) near the naserine lift, we now know it's next to a petrol station and they run a taxi firm downstairs whilst smoking all day!!

You seem to know the area well so have we made a wrong choice ??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We visited Selva with Esprit on several occasions when our kids were small. Esprit childcare is/was possibly the best in the business, but what was noticable over the years, was that the quality of the chalets and food etc. were on a slow and gradual slide in the downhill direction. This probably coincided with the Total buyout.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you can trust Esprit to get the childcare transport right - in our experieince it was always efficient.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys for all your feedback. Really helpful - why is it so tricky choosing a holiday!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were in Pepe Gable with Espirit back in January this year. It worked ok. Don't know how old your kids are, ours were 18 months and 3 yrs. The 3yo was in Spritelets and had to be downstairs waiting ready to go by iirc 8:30. The Espirit staff take care of moving them around, and apart from being a bit rushed in the morning all went according to plan. The little ones were dropped off at the nursery which is over the road a few doors up from the hotel. The biggest problem was getting all the kit back in one place at the right time - eldest invariably turned up missing a glove or ski sock or something, which meant regular trips to lost property box in the basement. Nothing got lost for too long and we left with everything we arrived with. Bottom line is, the kids enjoyed themselves, and we got to ski/board knowing that they were safe, fed and watered, and having fun.

I'll point the wife at this thread to get her comments too...
As for proximity to the ski lift, Pepe Gable is very close to the Nasserein lift, probably under 2 minutes walk in boots and carrying gear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you Richard, that's really helpful to hear. Ours will be 18m and just 5 (and our friends will have 18m and 3.5). Wife's comments will also be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiingwithkids, I think the lack of specific feed feedback is due to that Chalet being new to Esprit for last season.

I have used Esprit in Belle Plagne and Courchevel. They are a good choice.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After going round in circles considering everything (and availability) I think we are decided on Obergurgl Chalet Verwall, but Pepi Gabl is the back up. Any thoughts on things to do in Obergurgl?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have booked Chalet Verwall this year also, previously been to Obergurgl with Esprit and stayed in Alpenblume. I cannot praise Esprit staff enough, they are brilliant with the kids, we will have 3 kids with us this year 1,4 and 5 and the quality of the chidcare will allow my wife and I to feel like we have had a holiday.

As to Obergurgl, both chalets are located at the bottom end of town, very close to lift, hire shop if you need and kids ski/play area. As to what to do in Obergurgl, there is usually night skiing and a performance by ski instructors. A visit to Top Mountain Star bar for morning coffee is recommended as is the food and views at the Hohe Mut are excellent. A visit to the Nederhutte is good for late afternoon après ski with music/dancing etc and is only a short easy ski back to Esprits chalets.

I have spent many weeks skiing in St Anton prior to having children and in my opinion Obergurgl is a much more family/child friendly place.

If you have any questions get in touch and I will try to help
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've also booked Obergurgl this year with Esprit (Alpenbluhme). I have no experience of the place, but the new wing seems to get rave reviews on Trip Advisor. We will be there 16th March if anyone else is? 3 Kids, 8, 6, and 3. Taking them out of school Shock
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonkgray78, tut, tut. Hope you all enjoy it. Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiingwithkids, Mrs Sideways here!

Chaotic would be a word, we've done Esprit 3 times the last 3 years and I think the set up at the Pepi Gabl was the worst by a long shot. I think was due mainly to the multi-site aspect of it all but it could also have been the getting the elder one ready to go to lessons / younger to nursery / Mr Sideways being laid up for half the holiday with brought from home food poisoning. The nightly clothes hunt was a total pain but I think this might have been the staff, while hugely enthusiastic didn't have the ability to read enormous numbers of name labels I'd sewn in or at times appear to have simple common sense - well of course they had salopettes / snowboots / gloves on when we handed them over so of course I expect them to be returned with the child! The chalet itself was fine, iirc it's one of the "cheaper" ones and the rooms were definitely in various stages of modernisation, we certainly had one of the older ones. Location wise it was toddler snowboot stomping distance to the lift (we took the 3 year old up one lunchtime) and there are also a couple of really good apres bars very near the hotel if you need / want a sneaky drink pre-child collection. The experience at Pepi Gabl hasn't put me off Esprit but we are booked at a "one site" hotel this season, the childcare set up with Esprit has been tested over years by thousands and it does work but I am looking forward to the day when skiing doesn't neccesitate spending vast quantities on childcare. Or maybe not as the mini Sideways will probably leave their geriatric parents way behind on the hill, perhaps there's a market for knackered can't keep up with speeding kids parent care?!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Chaotic would be a word, we've done Esprit 3 times the last 3 years and I think the set up at the Pepi Gabl was the worst by a long shot. I think was due mainly to the multi-site aspect of it all but it could also have been the getting the elder one ready to go to lessons / younger to nursery / Mr Sideways being laid up for half the holiday with brought from home food poisoning. The nightly clothes hunt was a total pain but I think this might have been the staff, while hugely enthusiastic didn't have the ability to read enormous numbers of name labels I'd sewn in or at times appear to have simple common sense - well of course they had salopettes / snowboots / gloves on when we handed them over so of course I expect them to be returned with the child! The chalet itself was fine, iirc it's one of the "cheaper" ones and the rooms were definitely in various stages of modernisation, we certainly had one of the older ones. Location wise it was toddler snowboot stomping distance to the lift (we took the 3 year old up one lunchtime) and there are also a couple of really good apres bars very near the hotel if you need / want a sneaky drink pre-child collection. The experience at Pepi Gabl hasn't put me off Esprit but we are booked at a "one site" hotel this season, the childcare set up with Esprit has been tested over years by thousands and it does work but I am looking forward to the day when skiing doesn't neccesitate spending vast quantities on childcare. Or maybe not as the mini Sideways will probably leave their geriatric parents way behind on the hill, perhaps there's a market for knackered can't keep up with speeding kids parent care?!!!

I would agree that there are periods of complete chaos involved, early morning rush out the door after breakfast and collecting the clan from the various childcare points and getting to children's tea in time however unlike most other holidays (and home life come to think of it) there are also periods of complete relaxation between around nine thirty and approx. four thirty and after seven in the evening.
Best tip for clothes I can think of is a simple bit of string attached to each glove and through the arms of jacket, instantly reducing the number of items of clothing to be located by half also gloves then cannot be lost out on the hill.
We are going to Obergurgl 23rd March (taking eldest out of school) and I cannot wait to get there chaos and all.
ski holidays
Sorry always29, if I am speaking out of turn, however I believe the comment about Chaotic was meant in comparison to Esprit in other locations (with childcare drop-offs in the same building as you are staying in). As we both went to Courchevel at the same time a few years ago, and I know they have been with Esprit twice since (and I have been with them once since).
snow report
NickyJ, nope not speaking out of turn at all. I probably wasn't clear mbeaney, we've been with Esprit 3 times, the two previous (Courchevel, brilliant ski in/ out location and great hotel, and Peisey, lovely chalets btw, definitely recommend them!) were great but the organisation in Pepi Gabl was poor by comparison, the chaos was beyond the usual level of childcare pick up / drop off at overseas and UK nurseries. If you'd not been with Esprit before you'd never go again. As for the clothes, we did labels and ribbons attaching gloves and still stuff disappeared, the staff traipsing up to the snow club and me to the basement of chalet to try and find things nightly. It wasn't just clothes chaos, the chalet dining room was just not big enough at breakfast and at high tea there were stupid things like there not being enough high chairs for babies and cups and cutlery and staff supervising high tea actually sitting there texting organising their time off. This is why this year, we've booked a chalet hotel as like the one in Courchevel it should be big enough to cope with the booked numbers.

But it's not put me off, I am looking forward to our trip with them in January - this time Richard_Sideways, will not be allowed to cook dinner the night before we leave Very Happy
ski holidays
They are undertaking building work at the Pepi to alter the entrance area, the outdoor courtyard/car park has been built on to expand that downstairs area.
snow conditions
We stayed at the Alpenblume a few years ago, the rooms were in need of a bit of a makeover but location was ok and the nursery was in the same building so worked well for us with a two year old. Nursery staff were fantastic. Food good. Bit of a walk to main village Center but you can ski almost back to other side of road. Verwall is even closer to slope but only by a few mins.

Obergurgl is a good choice for families as it is small enough for all parties to meet up at lunch or after ski school without having to trek miles yes still big enough to keep everyone happy for a week.

Chris
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy