Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you ride the fat ones?

Poster: A snowHead
No not a another sexual survey. It's just that after seeing all the pics of fat skis and multi ski quivers in that other thread I was just wondering (nosey sod) -

In approximate terms -

1. How many days per year do you ski?
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis?
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder).
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer?
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable)
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable)

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most?
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does your other half have?

Thanks in advance for any replies, especially if they are honest/sensible ones.

Edit: Questions edited to make them a bit clearer.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 7-11-13 17:14; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have I gone back to 2004 in a time machine ?
These fat skis will never catch on Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Have I gone back to 2004 in a time machine ?
These fat skis will never catch on Wink

+1. In answer to the questions Yes on the first 4 although I wouldn't call my touring touring, more like short access and limited. Although I've viewed the question on the intended purpose as intrinsically biased so reinterpreted it as All Mountain Skiing. Guess I'd reevaluate if I was going for a trip of exclusively groomer bashing in non spring conditions, but I wouldn't be booking that sort of trip.

I do have a pair of very highly rated 89mm skis that remain unmounted a considerable number of years after purchase. They'll be fully retro before I ever get to ski them I suspect.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 7-11-13 14:24; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am 32.

1. 50-60 days per season. Will most likely be less this year due to impending parenthood.
2. Everyday since all my skis are 100mm+.
3. Can't tell if you think all skis above 100mm are for "big mountain powder" or if you are giving it as an example of what a ski could be intended for? Assuming the later I typically ski what I feel like skiing where I feel like skiing it, skis are better and worse at things but they'll all ski and learning to ski them in various conditions is always fun. Marketing is marketing.
4. My truck brings all the skis to the yard. I'd normally only take one set of skis away on a trip involving flying though.
5. Yup, it's the only way to ski anything interesting here.
6. Yup, they're ideally suited to skiing interesting things here and I don't have anything else. Smile

Bonus 1: Last season was the Corvus.
Bonus 2: A lot more, a lot, lot more, even after throwing shoes away when we moved last.

Mind you my quiver is only two skis big (that I actually ski) and I only added one new ski this year so not exactly giant.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-11-13 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Yes
4 No, have skis at 85, 102 and 141. Can get 2 in the bag and stay under weight, so look at conditions and take the two most suitable. At least, that's the plan....
5 No
6 No

Bonus 1 - either the 85 or the 102.
Bonus 2 - You trying to get me killed?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Do you ski? - Yes
2. Do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? - No
3. Do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). - N/A see 2.
4. Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? N/A see 2.
5. Do you ski tour (where applicable) - No
6. Do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) No

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? - Elan Magfire 78 Ti - this may change with current seasons skiing
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? None - no longer married

N.B. This seems a male focussed survey

P.S. these really wide skis - are they getting to a point where the two skis together are wider than a snowboard? How long will it be before we see ski bindings fitted to two narrow snowboards........................? Twisted Evil

Is it all a plan by the darkside?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:

N.B. This seems a male focussed survey

Not at all you've just made the sexist inference that OH with lots of shoes means female wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh,

Thanks for reading the question and actually giving numbers as requested. Toofy Grin

DB wrote:

In approximate terms how many days per year -

1. Do you ski?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So at the moment I am on PM Gear 179s, Armada JJs and PM Gear Lhasa Pow 186s. I am pretty rubbish but can turn both left and right in most conditions. This ski choice is a hangover from ski-bumming. Were I buying now I would probably be more in the 100mm range than the 110-115 range.

1. This season 8, last year 20, previous year 20, year before that 100. Marriage and impending parenthood are about to limit things further.
2. Yes - almost exclusively. (so 8 this year)
3. Yes but I also use them on piste as well. (so 8 then - hopefully)
4. I try to avoid skiing on piste. If I think I will mainly be on piste then it will be the JJs rather than the Lhasas - they both do slightly different things. The JJs carve better and are much easier in trees. The Lhasas are better in mixed conditions and are less turny. (0 days - I'm happy with the compromises I've made)
5. Yes - the 179s with dynafits. (2/3 days)
6. Periodically - really depends. My touring skis are lightweight but 99mm underfoot so they can handle almost anything. Will periodically use the Lhasa + duke + alpine boot combo but that really is too heavy for anything more than an hr from the lifts.

Bonus 1: Depends. Last year it was the JJ. Almost always the JJ or the Lhasa.
Bonus 2: Not even close to parity. Some of the shoes are in the DPS price range and I'm not talking about the hybrids either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. How many days per year do you ski? 40 +
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? Whenever conditions allow!!!!
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). Whenever conditions allow
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? 0
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) on a good year 0 as I can afford heli Twisted Evil If not when ever the conditions require I skin for good snow
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) 0 - Touring bindings are on 98 underfoot skis

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Currently Factory race - due to race commitments but the 98 are my go to all mountain
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? Many Many more!!!! Her shoe closet was once a spare room!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. How many days per year do you ski? 10-ish (hopefully 14 next season!)
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? None
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder) None
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? I only have one pair of skis
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) None
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) None

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? the only ones I own
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? 1 pair of skis, 1 pair of shoes, do I need more? I certainly don't need an 'other half'...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. How many days per year do you ski? 15-25
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 15-25
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). 15-25 (hopefully)
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? 0 (hopefully); 1-5 realisticaly
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) 10-20
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) 10-20

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Pretty evenly divided between my W105s and W112s
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? Bazillions!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder).

What if the main intended purpose of the ski was to flail inelegantly down an icy piste?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
DB wrote:

What if the main intended purpose of the ski was to flail inelegantly down an icy piste?

I said skis not snow-blades. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
I said skis not snow-blades. Toofy Grin

Yeah but you also said "fat" and then said "100mm", so I'm getting mixed messages wink
ski holidays
Brilliant, the poo-poo that SZK used to get about everyday use of wide skis!!!
snow report
CH2O wrote:

Yes well out of order, same happened to me when I skied Tamworth.
latest report
You've skied Tammaf? Doooooooooode
latest report
Here you go, honest and sensible

1. How many days per year do you ski? 60-70
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 50-60
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). Conditions dependent, but everyday skis are 104 to 112
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? N/A
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) 5-10
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) All touring is on 100+

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? last season, HSFR and WD Preacher
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? Hmmm, I seem to have more skis than she has shoes!
latest report
For the sake of argument, I'll assume fat is anything over 105, as 100 isn't that uncommon a size for an all mountain ski now.

1. How many days per year do you ski? THis season. >50, last season 35
2. How many days per year do you ride these 105mm+ waisted skis? 5 (using last year as a guide)
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). 5 (again, going on last year)
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? None.

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Movement Jam all mountain ski
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? I'm single.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:

Yeah whatever happened to that dood? Bit of a crackpot TBH.
ski holidays
1. How many days per year do you ski? 30
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 30
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). Whenever possible
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? possibly
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) skin/walk only to get to good snow - when necessary
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) as above - any time it's necessary

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Whitedot Preacher
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? n/a

Have 65, 74, 89, 105 & 112mm waisted skis standing in the spare room (bought in that order over several years). Don't think it's really practical to carry multiple pairs of skis when flying so I always default to the newest ones. Conditions can change so much in a week and I'd be kicking myself if I conditions turned epic and my nice new 'powder' skis were sitting at home.
snow conditions
Quote:

Thanks for reading the question and actually giving numbers as requested.

Reading never was my strong point. I'll try again, based on the season just gone. Probably different this coming season as not going to be living out there, but the bonus of liking light skis is the ability to get 2 pairs in a bag and stay under the weight limit.

1. How many days per year do you ski? 80+
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 40+
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). Whenever possible
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? N/a lived in resort
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) skin/walk only to get to good snow - no
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) as above - no

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Liberty LTE or Movement scoop, would have been pretty much 50/50 with a dozen or so days on the Liberty Genome when it snowed.
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does you other half have? Classified
snow report
DB, really thought this was going to be about nannies.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
You've skied Tammaf? Doooooooooode

Yeah the avi risk was low and the snow was sick, so I just dropped in parallel and shreaded it.
snow conditions
DB, you didn't ski it switch to the road? For shame!
snow report
How many days? 55-60 or so
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? None, widest are 98mm although 8 found myself on rockered >100 mm somethings while heliskiing. Which was 7 days and I rather liked them.

If we're still talking the 98s 2-3. Depending if it's snowed or not.

4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer?

More a question of what's on the ski rack and how many pairs of mates skis I'm caretaking. Tbh, I rarely find that there's a grat deal wher there's a better ski that the Mantra. Other than gates.

5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable)

Last year? 2.

6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable)

Never done so and suspect they'd be a liability.

Volkl Mantra, 177cm.

Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does your other half have?

Can I use scientific notation?
snow report
I think for a bonus question everyone should go back and edit in their age. Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think for a bonus question everyone should go back and edit in their age.

thats a daft suggestion were all 21 going on 16 Laughing
snow report
MogulMonkey, I'm a 13 year old who has never seen snow I'll have you know!
latest report
1. How many days per year do you ski? 40 - 120
2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 40 -120
3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). 90% of the time but will caveat that to say it's 90% off piste - there isn't always powder out there
4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? I ski these skis every ski day
5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) 0
6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) 0

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Rossi S7
Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does your other half have? My other half has more shoes than I do and he's bloke. I don't know how many pairs though, probably about 10 more pairs of shoes than I have pairs of skis

And a princess never reveals her age NehNeh
ski holidays
This is what an all mountain ski looks like today:
Deathwish from MOMENT
https://vimeo.com/72944962
snow report
DB wrote:

1. How many days per year do you ski?

80 odd. 6 or 7 already this season.

2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis?

The narrowest I use are 97mm, but at least 50-60 were on my 118mm skis last season.

I disagree that 'big mountain powder' is the intended use, rather 'general offpiste.' Pretty much every ski day includes this. Probably 30 days last season with some sort of powder.

N/A.

I don't have a ski that's totally ideal for hard frozen crappy snow offpiste though, would like to add something like a Blizzard Cochise for that (108mm underfoot, metal). Not happening soon though.

5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) Maybe 20-25 last season, ranging from several hours to lots of short hikes to specific lines. Plan to do much more this season, and have just got some dynafits.

20-25, fairly equal split between 97mm, 110mm and 118mm.

My Bibby Pros (118mm) are my go to ski. Ski pretty much everything very well, other than icy pistes. Not the first choice if I expect to spend a lot of time onpiste that day though (unless it's spring snow and/or slush).

More.

Thanks in advance for any replies, especially if they are honest/sensible ones.

Edit: Questions edited to make them a bit clearer.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

I disagree that 'big mountain powder' is the intended use, rather 'general offpiste.' Pretty much every ski day includes this. Probably 30 days last season with some sort of powder.

I didn't mean to imply wide skis were only for big mountain skiing.
Wide skis come in many shapes, sizes, flexes and serve different purposes.

e.g.
a) Softer short radius for allround offpiste. Great fun through the trees but squirrely/less stable for big offpiste turns at speed or harder cut up piste.

or

b) Stiffer, long radius radius for big mountain heroes.

and of course the 5672134 variations inbetween.

I suspect a) is likely to get used more often (skier skill, weight and location dependent amongst other things) but b) is for a specific skier and/or conditions.

Maybe I should have included other questions regarding skier weight, ability and ski flex / rocker type.
ski holidays
1. How many days per year do you ski? 100+

2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 70+

3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder). 70+

4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? NA

5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) 30 ish

6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) 30 ish

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Whitedot Newskithatisawesomebuticantrevealthenameoranydetailsuntilispo

Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does your other half have? The missus has a bigger quiver than I do...both in shoes and skis!
latest report
Ah, just to quickly explain point 3. IMO the skis I ride are pretty versatile and not built for any one condition, eg my powder skis can still work on crud/chop/crust etc. Obviously I'm not going to take some Carbonlite Redeemers on a piste day!
latest report
1. How many days per year do you ski? Up to 30 Embarassed

2. How many days per year do you ride these 100mm+ waisted skis? 75%

3. How many days per year do you ride these skis for their main intended purpose (e.g. Big mountain powder) 70%

4. How many days per year - Do you end up skiing these skis because although you had a better ski for the conditions, you couldn't raise the financial backing to bring all your skis and make Micheal 'O' Leary even richer? I always take two pairs (thank you quiver killers)

5. How many days per year do you ski tour (where applicable) None

6. How many days per year do you ski tour on 100mm+ waisted skis (where applicable) None

Bonus question 1 = Which ski in your quiver do you tend to ride the most? Fat boys.

Bonus question 2 = In comparison to the number of skis in your quiver, how many more pairs of shoes does your other half have? I'd guess the ratio 1:25
ski holidays
OK so now the question has been clarified on time spent I'll answer a bit more

1) Hopefully 40-50 days excluding indoors
2) 40-50
3) 95%+ intrinsically related to below. Their main purpose may not be to bash pistes but if conditions are even vaguely soft they'll suffice. It's a rare day (essentially hard refrozen rain crust) where they won't do some "variable".
4)A few maybe - there are some days when maybe I wish I had my tele kit (a skinny 97mm) or pistey/slalomy skis (mainly as conditions are a bit uninspiring) but realistically I'm quite happy on skis up to 112mm for most resort situations excluding some boilerplate. Boilerplate then at least counts as "skill development" rather than enjoyment.
latest report
the_doc wrote:
Obviously I'm not going to take some Carbonlite Redeemers on a piste day!

Except in Spring conditions?
snow report
Ha, yeah maybe! Although in the deep slush and 25 degC conditions at the end of last season I rediscovered my love of the Preachers, they absolutely crushed it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy