Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Layla 2014 or Line Celebrity 90's 2013?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - my first time on here so apologies if I unwittingly violate any etiquette (Please feel free to correct me).

I currently have Fischer Koa 78's which I've loved. 5 years ago (pre-koa's) I tore my ACL. In January of this year I completely severed it and had a reconstruction in March. With this being the second time I've done this (both times in freakishly deep powder after snow dumps), and having gone through the horrific daily rehab (far, far worse in my opinion than the actual injury), my surgeon has cleared me to ski in January (3 months earlier than he initially advised thanks to me hammering the rehab).

I'm beside myself with terror at the thought of doing this a third time, and whilst desperate to get back on skis, I'm really scared about coping with anything other than groomed / packed pistes. Pre 2nd Injury it had taken me several years and about 20hours of private lessons each season to get comfortable on most black runs with the occasional hissy fit in bad conditions. My technique is apparently good but my confidence has always been leagues behind. I'd say I was an advanced intermediate pre injury and really want to get back to this.

I'm investing in knee-bindings and also want some all mountain skis that will give me help in heavy snow. I've been recommended by a ski dealer I've had 4 sets of skis off (who's never got it wrong yet) to go for either Scott Layla's (2014) or Line Celebrity 90's (2013 - apparently the 2014 lines are 85 and too skittish). I'm sort of sold on the Layla's which overall have good reviews but a couple say they're not great on hard packed or ice. Wondering if the Celebrity's will be any better as whilst I appreciate I'm not going to get a ski perfect for everything, I'd like the best one for the job.

Any advice much appreciated Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads! My wife has the Scott Layla's and loves them. Being the ladies version of the Scott Venture they are a true all mountain ski and have a rating of 70% off piste / 30% on piste. They are fine on hard packed ice as long as your weight is on the front of the skis and have quite a short turn radius for their width underfoot. They are great skis in heavy snow Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks for the welcome and the advice Smile I've just spoke to another guy at Snowfit who assured me that they are more 60/40 than just powder and said that they ski as well on piste as off, plus the Celebrity's are harder work (which I really don't need as recovering with a still vulnerable ACL is hard work enough! Also, I read on the same review site that my Fischer Koa's are crap on ice too which is not what I've found at all. Thanks again
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy